Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Smokin' Lounge (Hosted by Smokin-J)

Last Online
    08-06-2013 @ 21:19 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United Kingdom

Welcome to The Smokin' Lounge (Hosted by Smokin-J)

Welcome to THE SMOKIN' LOUNGE... Hosted by DJ Smokin-J

New Threads are up, please check them out and post any comments you like...

SMOKIN-J - LUCKY NUMBER 13 (March 2007) - Club Trance - TRANCEFIX DJ CONTEST #2 WINNING SET

SMOKIN-J - SUPER HEROES (June 2007) - Club Trance

SMOKIN-J - TRAXMANIA RADIO GUEST MIX (July 2007) - Progressive/Tech Trance - (Base Invader)

SMOKIN-J - ILLUMINATE RADIO GUEST MIX (25th August 2007) - Progressive/Trance

GUEST MIXES - THE SMOKIN' SESSIONS

JOEL ALLISON - SWINGS (SS01) - September 2007 - Club Trance

JOEL ALLISON - ROUNDABOUTS (SS02) - September 2007 - Club Trance

Name: Jay
    Years of DJ Experience: 15 (8 seriously)
    DJ Equipment: 2x Technics 1210 Mk4s : Pioneer DJM600 : 2x Pioneer CDJ1000 Mk2s : 2x Autofon DJ Concords + Computer...
    MySpace: www.myspace.com/djsmokinj

Me: I have at one time or another been into most genres and styles of music, its in the blood, as all my family are, or were DJs... I was brought up on a diet of Reggae, Dub, classical, funk, blues, jazz and loads of rock'n'roll so its not to surprising that I started collecting records just into my teens and have been privileged to see in acid, house and early prog/trance. As a teenager I was very adventurous and started clubbing at quite a young age and was a regular to The Manor Born and The Venue in the north of England to name a few spots. This was a very exciting time for me as clubbing was really fresh then and I connected with the culture completely. Iv been to loads of different types of parties and just love getting down to most stuff, but especially like deep, driving, organic and dynamic music.

I have always been into what is commonly known as Trance, but I feel this term depends on what the individual perceives it as, I hear it to be hypnotic and energy driven music that you feel and react to...

I took to hardcore (the first time round) to begin with then started to hear imported music from Europe with more of an energy to it, along with listening to masters Sasha, Nick Warren and Diggers at the time as well this truly set me on an quest to be as close as I could to dance music as possible. I regularly badgered my mates with decks for some play time for ages and it took me a few years to get my own set up and was (and still am) found wearing headphones all the time. I used to listen to mix CDs over and over to try and workout how to mix, but I am mainly self taught; I think if your interested in something enough you learn it instinctively. Recording a mix CD a day helped me fine tune things and I found gave me a better technical understanding and ability which enables you to spend more time experimenting with direction, transitions and track selection in mixes and when I wasn't mixing I was reviewing what I had recorded. I studied the craft until I had learnt how to manipulate tracks into concepts and forged ideas that spanned into soundscapes and so after being to some of the best parties and festivals and witnessing just about every DJ going and being a time served rave monkey I now am aiming to make a living doing what I love. I really feel I have something to bring to the table, its that deep feeling of love, pride and commitment to DJing and Music.

I have just completed building a modest music studio and am at the moment learning the fundamentals to lead to my own productions. At the moment I am using Cubase, but mainly Ableton Live to edit tracks and create intros and sample work but am still using the decks for DJing, although I can see the producer and DJ coming together in live performances more so every day and have a few music projects with others that will take me further in that direction which is very exciting.

I have promoted two of my own club nights at local venues called: 'The Quickening' (1998) and 'Sanctuary' (2005-2006), played quite a few small gigs + festies over the years, been involved in advertising and marketing and am part of several music projects but recently have taken more of a serious approach to promoting myself professionally and have started to push radio plays, club promoters more and also DJing comps, the first of which I entered recently and won (Trancefix.nl). I have played along side recently (to name a few): Pedro Delgardo and James alexander/Kid (Tension), Shaun M (Hardtimes), Jonah, Pulsar, Alex Powell, Scot Project and Sied van Riel.

Heroes: Armin, BT, Sasha, Above+Beyond, Tiesto, Tony de Vit, Danny Tenaglia, Roy Aires, Bob Marley + me Dad.

Whats Smokey been up to...

03/07/07 - Well heres the start of The Smokin Lounge... what do you think??? reply below >>>

12/07/07 - This is my week... Spent most of it working but managed to sneak in the new Transformers movie which was pretty awesome... I'm working on a Techtrance set for the Traxmania Radio set on the 21st which is coming on nicely, electro elements and beastly baselines, interesting instrumentation working into a Tech monster... Watch this space folks...

Looking forward to the coming month with some excellent parties and Radio plays coming up, check mySpace page for flyers and gig listings...

I am working on some new hardware/software called MixVibes (Entry level FinalScratch competitor) for DAX AUDIO which will be really good publicity as my review will appear in most of the Dj and music tech mags... more updates on this soon...

If you would like a link adding here please contact me...

For a press pack including Photos, Bio and CDs please contact me here.

Smokey.o0

Last Online
    12-16-2012 @ 18:17 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    India
    coool.. looking forward to this place then.... btw just saw... shouldn't ur avatar be showing "DJ contest#2 Winner" instead of "DJ contest #2 judge"....???????

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohit_Tharakan
    coool.. looking forward to this place then.... btw just saw... shouldn't ur avatar be showing "DJ contest#2 Winner" instead of "DJ contest #2 judge"....???????
    Dude, be cool if you can change that for me, and yeah will sort the funiture and TV out in here soon (I just moved in) lol

Cheers buddy.o0

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    India
    well i got "powers" but not all of them.. Ask the Superman !!

Last Online
    10-05-2013 @ 22:59 PM
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 97x in 84 Posts
    Mayotte
    Lets see if anyone notices this place
    Otherwise might need another solution.

Last Online
    08-22-2015 @ 15:36 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 42x in 24 Posts
    Netherlands
    Ofcourse people notice

Congrats on your new place btw Smokin'. Now indeed all that's left is some decorating and a big fridge filled with alcoholic beverages (or a bar for that matter) and i'm happy.
    Hmmm....

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjagga
    Ofcourse people notice

Congrats on your new place btw Smokin'. Now indeed all that's left is some decorating and a big fridge filled with alcoholic beverages (or a bar for that matter) and i'm happy.

People... and Monkeys... Your nearly there Sjagga, a few more centuries of evolution ha ha... welcome to my lounge sir ....

Last Online
    10-05-2013 @ 22:59 PM
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 97x in 84 Posts
    Mayotte
    Someone already rated this 1-star

Last Online
    03-25-2017 @ 19:05 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts
    South Africa
    Hey SmokinJ, this looks like it could turn into a cool thread, I will sure stick around and see what happens in here.

Congrats again.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by 2030
    there must be a way to know who votes and rates...???

Last Online
    03-07-2013 @ 00:17 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Guatemala
    Smokin' J RULES!!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

btw, I loved your Set, (#13). Youre going to be big, you've got great talent, perfect sense of flow!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Last Online
    02-02-2008 @ 15:22 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United Kingdom

TrancePlant

Ola! Smokin-J

I play for a night in nottingham called TrancePlant. We have had nights at Gatecrasher Nottingham and Lovezoo in nottingham. Your winning set is a hit with the promoter. Please can you get in touch with me to try and sort you out with a set. mail me at gregkench@yahoo.com

Cheers
    Greg

Last Online
    09-09-2017 @ 21:08 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts
    United States
    *lights up a blunt*
    *puts feet up on coffee table*
    *puff puff*
    so this is your lounge huh? :P

Last Online
    12-20-2016 @ 16:25 PM
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016x in 645 Posts
    Lithuania
    Who cares about ratings Congrats again SmokinJ
    If you are free in your dreams, then why don't you go to places you always wanted to go?

Last Online
    02-28-2017 @ 23:21 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Mauritius
    Lets see if anyone notices this place
    Otherwise might need another solution.