Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: best and fastest way to beatmatch

Last Online
    10-07-2014 @ 02:00 AM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 147x in 84 Posts
    United States

best and fastest way to beatmatch

Hello All,
    So i met Josh David over the weekend who DJs break and beats and he told me you should get sooo good at beatmatching that you should beatmatch in less than 1 min! That's crazy. I couldn't talk about it more because him and his brother were working on tracks for the WMC.

so my question is...what are some good ways to beat match fast and accurate...
    I use CDJ 800s btw ;-)
    Check out my ASOT Direct Server
    Help keep my server up and running by clicking ads!

Check out my podcast
    Monday Night Central

Last Online
    06-26-2008 @ 12:38 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    New Zealand
    im also keen to learn a faster and more accurate way to beat match. While mixing one of my tracks tends drift away after awhile and i loose the perfect mix. Also using CDJz. I hav only been mixing for a short time so keen to get as many tricks of the trade as i can.

Last Online
    01-05-2012 @ 01:50 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Australia
    Using CDJ's i firstly watch the BPM counters and make sure the track I want to bring in is level with the one playing. Then I cue the second track and start counting beats, have the second track playing along in your headphones and use your jog wheel if neccesary to bring the beats into union. Then I listen for any drift, turn the jogwheel accordingly to make sure I'm correct in either speeding up or slowing down. Then adjust the pitch accordingly. Sometimes I get it right in no time at all, other times I have to tweak things for a little bit longer to get it right, and ofcourse sometimes I don't get it right at all. LOL
    Last edited by Luckhuda; 03-04-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    "nowadays there are 2 types of DJs. One that is really technical, wants to create an amazing mix, a great sound and then want to go back into the studio and refine what they do. Then the 2nd type who just want to go up turn one knob in front of the crowd, put their arms up in the air and say ‘look at me I just rolled off all the bass for 2 bars’ and pretend they're Jesus’." - Charlie May

Last Online
    01-31-2012 @ 17:42 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman
    Using CDJ's i firstly watch the BPM counters and make sure the track I want to bring in is level with the one playing. Then I cue the second track and start counting beats, have the second track playing along in your headphones and use your jog wheel if neccesary to bring the beats into union. Then I listen for any drift, turn the jogwheel accordingly to make sure I'm correct in either speeding up or slowing down. Then adjust the pitch accordingly. Sometimes I get it right in no time at all, other times I have to tweak things for a little bit longer to get it right, and ofcourse sometimes I don't get it right at all. LOL
    Yeah man, I do it almost the same way, I use Traktor though. I guess you will think ''well he's just using the sync button then, big deal'', but as a matter of fact, I don't. I have found it's way more accurate to beatmatch manually. So I set the BPM to the same level as the track currently playing and then cue the track I want to bring in. Now I use the beatmatch buttons which can temporarily slow down or speed up the record (like the jogwheel on CDJ's) till it's perfectly beatmatched

In Trance We Trust

Last Online
    01-05-2012 @ 01:50 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb Astían
    Yeah man, I do it almost the same way, I use Traktor though. I guess you will think ''well he's just using the sync button then, big deal'', but as a matter of fact, I don't. I have found it's way more accurate to beatmatch manually. So I set the BPM to the same level as the track currently playing and then cue the track I want to bring in. Now I use the beatmatch buttons which can temporarily slow down or speed up the record (like the jogwheel on CDJ's) till it's perfectly beatmatched
    I actually don't have any problem with using software, infact I intend to buy Ableton as soon as I can afford it. I was just introduced to DJ'ing with CDJ's and I've always just found it alot more fun to have all the hardware infront of you. Doing overdramatic EQ'ing etc
    "nowadays there are 2 types of DJs. One that is really technical, wants to create an amazing mix, a great sound and then want to go back into the studio and refine what they do. Then the 2nd type who just want to go up turn one knob in front of the crowd, put their arms up in the air and say ‘look at me I just rolled off all the bass for 2 bars’ and pretend they're Jesus’." - Charlie May

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 147x in 84 Posts
    United States
    i have ableton but i haven't used it yet ;-) I do the same format...sometimes i cheat and i look to see how far away from the next whole number the track it. so if i 4.45% and 4.5% changes the bpm from 137-138, i try to find on the next track where 137 becomes 138 and try to get it as close as i can...that could be liek 2.50-2.55% or something. lol

Check out my podcast
    Monday Night Central

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 147x in 84 Posts
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb Astían
    I was thinking of running traktor but i feel it's even more cheating then having a CDJ ;-) LOL... just case you can tell it to beatmatch perfectly. it has a nice pro though....u can have ur whole collection without burning cds. at least ur not "cheating" ahahah! the other problem i have is i am running everything on digital coaxial cables and traktor is just standard analog cables i think...i may invest in it just to have all my music but then i would need a laptop...for now...i have about 10 Mp3 cds that i have 2 copies of each and have about 35-40 songs on each so not bad...enough to do a 4 hr set easily!

Check out my podcast
    Monday Night Central

Last Online
    03-06-2011 @ 02:47 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    New Zealand
    best way on a cdj is to never touch the platter, instead move the pitch back and forth ie when the track is speeding up decrease the pitch, when its slowing down, increase the pitch. And make sure you never move the pitch to somewhere its already been, the distance between your pitch movements should always get less. I dont know how many times this has been said in the forums. You rock bottom are especially bad for this...use the search sometime...there is no quickway to beatmatch - at the end of the day if your tracks drift or you have to use the platter then you can't beatmatch yet. Simple.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 147x in 84 Posts
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jst2gd
    best way on a cdj is to never touch the platter, instead move the pitch back and forth ie when the track is speeding up decrease the pitch, when its slowing down, increase the pitch. And make sure you never move the pitch to somewhere its already been, the distance between your pitch movements should always get less. I dont know how many times this has been said in the forums. You rock bottom are especially bad for this...use the search sometime...there is no quickway to beatmatch - at the end of the day if your tracks drift or you have to use the platter then you can't beatmatch yet. Simple.
    sorry for the repeat post then :-(

it's hard searching forums via mobile phone when u dont have access to a comp...i was on the road to mammoth for a ski trip when i was posting this ;-)

i have seen ppl do that so thnx! I usually just jog that wheel

Check out my podcast
    Monday Night Central

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom620
    sorry for the repeat post then :-(

it's hard searching forums via mobile phone when u dont have access to a comp...i was on the road to mammoth for a ski trip when i was posting this ;-)

i have seen ppl do that so thnx! I usually just jog that wheel
    Sorry - that was really harsh. I was in a bad mood when i read your thread. I know what its like to be new - trying to learn all the tips and tricks.

Best advice (which was told to me so many times and i never listened haha) is to get the basics perfect. When you dont have to worry about songs drifting you can afford to be creative - theres a better chance of it sounding better and you will have more time because you dont need to keep going back to fix the songs

Last Online
    01-26-2011 @ 14:36 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    i find it very possible to match the beat esp if you've got the jogwheel... hell, you can do it in less than a minute if you really want once you get used to it... I still find it very hard to match the beat using pitch control since ive never really spent much time practicing it. looks like im a spoiled dj

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    New Zealand
    If you use the pitch slider you can beatmatch in <15sec because your making corrections as they happen - you can even get to a stage where you dont need to beatmatch before you drop the cue song - instead you can play the cue song and do 'hot' beatmatching - ie as the song is audibly playing.

Pitch slider beatmatching >> Jogwheel beatmatching

I personally think 1min to beatmatch is far too long - <30sec and your getting good.

Last Online
    01-26-2011 @ 14:36 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jst2gd
    I personally think 1min to beatmatch is far too long - <30sec and your getting good.
    I'd agree... the 800's are probably a bit different (I used to have them and it was a bit more difficult), but using the jogwheel, I find that on the 1000's (as well as the 400's and 200's im guessing) you can easily match the beat in <30 seconds. Just get to the absolute first beat, and you don't even have to set a loop... u can just start the tune and slowly try to get on beat. I prefer setting a loop that matches with the music playing or else searching through the song to make sure I am on key. One or the other. Then, when the time is right, drop the track in and slowly/subtly bring in the hi's lo's and mids.... maybe add some effects to make it sound less choppy/poopy.

Last Online
    07-13-2009 @ 16:52 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Canada
    Something that helped me when i was first learning to beatmatch is to get an idea for your decks, in terms of what amount of pitch adjust % is a general guidline for ALL tracks. What i mean is, when im mixing on my 1000mk3's and i wanna mix a track thats 1 bpm faster than the currently playing track or visa versa, i adjust the cued or playing track (which ever the case may be) to 0.74% right off the bat. This number i have found seems to be a pretty good % to match a track that is 1 bpm slower.

Than preview in your phones and if its right on, great.. if it drifts, adjust with the jog until its dead on again, than adjust ur pitch up or down depending on which way u had to turn the jog to get the beats synched.

Last Online
    02-08-2019 @ 02:23 AM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United States
    First of all... 1 minute is a lot of time for beatmatching...
    U certally know your tracks... and more or less they speeds... so you already know if u show speed it up or slow down... Than ur supposed to release the record (For vinyl users... the most effective way is baby scratching cause u release the vinyl on the exactly speed) than u will notice the drift... and control the speed touching the plates or using pitch (Id prefer using pitch... but touching for breaking and pushing it really I MEAN REALLY smoothly it for speeding up is pretier for crowd look ) That is the faster way to do that... In about 30 to 40 secs ur ready to go... (not forgetting that vinyl needs constant corrections)... now that u matched the speeds have fun...
    On CDJs (that I dont like to use)... first of all mark the tonic beat by cueing it (of course!)...
    Than count 4 beats... I suggest that u tap with your fingers beside the Play button (so your hand is already close to it and reduce the time for pushing it on the next 1st beat... in case the "5th" beat... or I suggest that u tap the cue button itself and on the next 1st beat push the play button...) after u released just do the same than with vinyl (but u dont need to correct cause its a digital media)....

Thats how I teach my studants... but... Its easier to understand face-to-face... And... One other point... I teach them without looking to bpm counters (I placed a tape over the display)... They learn way faster than if looking... cause u push your ears to get used to listen to songs beating perfectly matched... and songs drifting so u know... When they are drifting... which one is going faster, which one is going slower... etc...
    Than after the classes if they wanna use the counters... thats all about them...

Cheers!

"Welcome is sleep, more welcome the sleep of stone. Whilst crime and shame continue in the land; My happy fortune, not to see or hear; Waken me not - in mercy, whisper low"
    - Michelangelo Buonarotti