Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: best and fastest way to beatmatch

Last Online
    01-05-2012 @ 01:50 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    BPM counters ! no offence but dj's should'nt realy on BPM counters to be able to beatmatch .. i have cdj 800's mk2 also and the counter is only used to determine wat BPM i want play to at lol .. if u still use BPM counters get yourself a pair of technics and start over !
    Using something isn't the same as relying on something
    "nowadays there are 2 types of DJs. One that is really technical, wants to create an amazing mix, a great sound and then want to go back into the studio and refine what they do. Then the 2nd type who just want to go up turn one knob in front of the crowd, put their arms up in the air and say ‘look at me I just rolled off all the bass for 2 bars’ and pretend they're Jesus’." - Charlie May

Last Online
    10-06-2008 @ 00:51 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Australia
    Hmmm I've just recently got onto Traktor. I've heard people saying its cheating because there's a beat-sync button somewhere. WHERE IS IT?! I'm curious I've never seen something auto-beatmatch before. Yes I know there's not point DJing if you can't beatmatch but I've been doing it for 4 years and I'm curious.

Also, for anyone using Traktor Scratch, I can't be bothered beat-griding all my tracks to check them. Further, even though I've calibrated a few tracks and mixed them up, I find that the beatcounter is WRONG. It's formed through a programmed series of algorithms that tracks the wavelengths and plots beats. So its only as good as the program that its running on. This really exemplifies Dartflare's opinion on EARS EARS EARS.

Also, with the little tracking gauge (phase meter), I find that it will usually not give you a seamless mix. I use vinyl so its prone to falling out every now and then (quote Dartflare). I think experience is really important because you should be able to tell what the program can't tell you.

On that note, does anyone know of trance tracks that are really difficult to mix? I've heard people say that not all tracks mix, but I've been mixing anything from 128 to 142 for more than 3 years. They mix, but they don't always sounds good though. Ie. Andy Moor - Halcyon - Alex rmx (135?), and Delerium - Innocente - Tiesto rmx (128?). Tracks with bizarre starting intros like tiny irregular blips (Gabriel+Dresden? can't remember which) are still difficult to mix that I find I need to find a section of solid tune/bass before I can beatmatch.

Can anyone beatmatch WITHOUT bass bars? Ie Andy Moor - Halcyon - Alex rmx section 4:12 to 5:20? That's a vocal to irregular bass buildup section. I'd like to know if its possible going in "blind" (ie Andy Moor at a bogus pitch (3%) where you don't know the base BPM and another unfamiliar track). It's of real interest to me because I tend to go in blind most of the time and improvise on the beats. That said, I CANNOT do beatmatching without bass bars unless I concentrate real hard.

Last Online
    10-06-2008 @ 00:51 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Australia
    Also, I mean concentrate REAL hard. Without bass bars it can take me longer than a minute. Sometimes I don't even get it. Almost a crap-shoot.

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    England
    for people who mix CDs, dont assume the bpm of the track is constant. some tracks dont have constant bpm (and i dont mean vinyl rips or mp3s but real CD or WAV releases).

there are loads of ways of composing, remixing tracks & mastering tracks.
    tracks composed on pc dont necessarily have the constant rock solid bpm you might think. in fact i think the best timing is using a hardware sequencer (or the old atari 1040 + logic/cubase) and midi sampler/synths

Last Online
    01-20-2010 @ 23:36 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United States
    If you have the bpm of the song you're throwing in and you've had some experience on the decks, you'll start to know exactly how much percent you need to pitch it in order to get it right. It's not that you want to learn to beatmatch this way, but it'll just happen. Otherwise, you just have to play with the jogwheel to see if the tune is too fast or too slow, and quickly adjust the pitch using your judgment. You'll do better as youre skills improve, and youll easily coordinate the amount you need to speed up or slow down much faster. In the case of half or different bpms such at 133.4 or something like that, you'll have to notice the difference in speed in the tunes, and adjust it using nothing but experience. No BPM counter. Anything can be mixed with anything . When I feel that something is too slow to mix to the next tune, I like to find a common area of the two. For example: if you have the first track at 135, and the next at 128...ill try to pitch the 128 up to about 132, and the 135 down to 132. Harder than usual, but it can be done using bass bars of course. My 2 cents...

Last Online
    01-30-2013 @ 01:25 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    United States
    But what if its a 128 bpm and you try to match it with a 130 bpm? If you hit sync you will either speed up the song or slow it down. People will know if the temp is different. How would you match those?

Last Online
    01-27-2014 @ 17:13 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 2 Posts
    Netherlands
    Put down the bpm level of the 130 or put up the level for 128 to 129 and you almost can't hear a difference in speed. Does is matter anyway? Just beatmatch the old fashion way, thats the best way.