Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between ableton and normal dj set

Last Online
    01-19-2014 @ 14:27 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 79x in 66 Posts
    Spain
    I used to make my sets in Ableton but I give up using it because I spent most of the time including effects and this kind of things instead of doing the mix.
    I know that using Ableton its a huge help but you don´t need any specific skill for it, everyone can learn watching the youtube videos.

Last Online
    05-06-2017 @ 17:22 PM
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7x in 7 Posts
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by richie View Post
    PvD doesn't dj anymore, unlike many other electronic music producers he only plays live using Ableton.
    But when someone uses Ableton Live to dj and warps the tracks it sometimes sound like crap even if you warp only a little bit
    would you like to define "doesn't dj"???
    LUMINOSITY 2011 = best event and place IN THE WORLD

Last Online
    05-27-2016 @ 09:52 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Wales
    I'll be totally honest i used to use Vinyl, CDJs & DJM etc to mix (sold them) now i use Ableton and a midi controller, There is still a skill mixing with Ableton even tho you aint concentrating on beatmatching. (DJing is like riding a bike, once you learn, you dont lose it)

Personally sets are sounding better than they ever have, reason for this is SIMPLE! DJs are not concentrating on beatmatching, they are now concentrating on the MUSIC only, so got more time to be creative with it, therefore more loops/drops/effects etc...

If people thinks it's cheating and you know you can beat match, who cares, don't worry about it, concentrate on delivering music, at the end of the day thats what it's all about.

Last Online
    08-17-2015 @ 16:51 PM
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 655x in 451 Posts
    Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If people thinks it's cheating and you know you can beat match, who cares, don't worry about it, concentrate on delivering music, at the end of the day thats what it's all about.
    If everyone could think like that ... world would be better.

Last Online
    05-27-2016 @ 09:52 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by asteski View Post
    If everyone could think like that ... world would be better.
    Its true tho mate, Pioneer brought out DDJ1000 midi controller today, it's the future!

People thought when CD mixing came out, they thought it was cheating. Dont get me wrong there is NOTHING better than the feel of vinyl mixing at all, BUT it's all about music. Now my sets contains 20-25 tracks in an hour set, where as before it used to be like 10 tracks in a hour mix.

I used to pay like £5-6 per vinyl record and have to go into town to shop for it, sit there listening to tracks in HMV, Catapult records etc... for hours, but now its soo accessible and easy, hence the reason we now got sooo Many DJs around.

I recommend any wanna be DJ to start with vinyl, when you master that & EQing, the rest is easy

Last Online
    10-22-2011 @ 16:46 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Ireland
    Its true tho mate, Pioneer brought out DDJ1000 midi controller today, it's the future!

People thought when CD mixing came out, they thought it was cheating. Dont get me wrong there is NOTHING better than the feel of vinyl mixing at all, BUT it's all about music. Now my sets contains 20-25 tracks in an hour set, where as before it used to be like 10 tracks in a hour mix.

I used to pay like £5-6 per vinyl record and have to go into town to shop for it, sit there listening to tracks in HMV, Catapult records etc... for hours, but now its soo accessible and easy, hence the reason we now got sooo Many DJs around.

I recommend any wanna be DJ to start with vinyl, when you master that & EQing, the rest is easy
    thats all true wot u say,i'v been djing years and same as you started with vinyl,now i use both cd's and ableton,but i much prefer cd's to ableton, the reason is for ableton i do a lot of gigs from partys,pubs and clubs but when im playing r & b and chart for partys and pubs i use ableton but when in clubs playing my own style of music trance i use cds,u cant beat cd's but as i said i use ableton for r& b and chart the reason for that is u just drag,drop and play especially when so many people coming up asking you to play a song

Last Online
    04-02-2016 @ 05:27 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 25x in 19 Posts
    Spain

I started djing doing just the opposite process. I started mixing in midi controllers and then I bought 2 CDJ 2000 and a DJM 700. All I can say is that there is nothing like mixing in real decks and in a real mixer.
    I think is just a question of preferences. You prefer mixing 20 tracks in one hour. I prefer to do this with 10-11. And I don't know what's about the future but CDJ 2000 is a fantastic tool. You can browse and drop tunes from a cd, a dvd, a sd card or a memory stick. It's amazing

Last Online
    Today @ 14:48 PM
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566x in 949 Posts
    Netherlands
    It's like using a calculator for a math competition.

Last Online
    07-11-2016 @ 00:22 AM
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 772x in 526 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    It's like using a calculator for a math competition.
    In what way do you man that analogy? Because you can't really do advanced math in a short time without having at least a basic calculator. I don't know if that's what you mean or that you mean it's cheating.

I always think it's about what gets the best out of you. Some people are extremely creative or just feel better with Ableton and programs like it. Others, like me, feel better when using decks. It's a creative process, it's different for different people.
    My first track, let me know what you think!

Please give me feedback, I want to get better

Oh and don't be afraid to go to my Facebook page and hit like button, it's there for a reason

Last Online
    Today @ 14:48 PM
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566x in 949 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    I don't know if that's what you mean or that you mean it's cheating.
    This.

But I guess I'll have to agree with "to each his own". If one prefers a laptop, he should do it.

I just think most laptop-users don't use it in such a way that "it gives more creative freedom" is a valid excuse for them. Most use it in a simple way that makes them look like a fake-dj on a laptop.

Last Online
    07-11-2016 @ 00:22 AM
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 772x in 526 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    This.

But I guess I'll have to agree with "to each his own". If one prefers a laptop, he should do it.

I just think most laptop-users don't use it in such a way that "it gives more creative freedom" is a valid excuse for them. Most use it in a simple way that makes them look like a fake-dj on a laptop.
    Yes of course, but not that doesn't mean it doesn't exist! It's just the ones that aren't creative who screw up for those who are.
    My first track, let me know what you think!

Please give me feedback, I want to get better

Oh and don't be afraid to go to my Facebook page and hit like button, it's there for a reason

Last Online
    06-20-2014 @ 12:03 PM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 24x in 16 Posts
    Sweden
    Was in a DJ competition last november and some of the DJ's there... I felt bad for them for being so terrible

Not saying i know for a fact the people i competed against had been using Ableton. But certainly not a professional CDJ or mixer.

Last Online
    07-04-2016 @ 03:50 AM
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 504x in 341 Posts
    Uruguay
    The "Sync" button is rottening the DJ world

Last Online
    08-29-2016 @ 02:58 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 61x in 26 Posts
    Australia
    The sync button separates the men from the boys when it comes to basic DJing skills, however I don't see any problem with it's use if you've already proven yourself to be a great DJ without it. A lot of the big techno greats have moved onto using sync because it allows them to be more creative with their mixes. They're able to layer 3 or 4 different parts or tracks without having them slip out so easily.

I know doing all that is possible without the sync button, but it's much harder to manage 4 decks at once without having them slowly slip away from each other.

Last Online
    07-04-2016 @ 03:50 AM
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 504x in 341 Posts
    Uruguay
    Quote Originally Posted by Valency View Post
    The sync button separates the men from the boys when it comes to basic DJing skills, however I don't see any problem with it's use if you've already proven yourself to be a great DJ without it. A lot of the big techno greats have moved onto using sync because it allows them to be more creative with their mixes. They're able to layer 3 or 4 different parts or tracks without having them slip out so easily.

I know doing all that is possible without the sync button, but it's much harder to manage 4 decks at once without having them slowly slip away from each other.
    Djing with the Sync button is one thing, and without it a different one. I think once you've got the way of managing without the button you can't return to it, maybe the case with 4 decks is one of the few i could make the exception