Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: What are your favorite apps?

Last Online
    Today @ 23:06 PM
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,409x in 1,782 Posts
    Serbia
    Another round of great Android apps, from yours truly.

1010 Block King

Addicted.

94%

A pretty fun game, but sometimes the levels are hard to complete because my brain is rusty.

SolCalendar

Cool calendar app, syncable with Google Calendar, with a pretty easy, but good-looking design. Might just be a keeper.

Cabinet

File manager, looks simple, it's easy to use. It's got everything I need, I'm not a power user anyways.

Nova Launcher

Huawei's EMUI 3.1 got quite boring, so I went on a quest to find a great launcher app. Well, I got this one. It looks great, it's fast, no bugs yet... I haven't really messed around with the more advanced settings, it does everything I need.

Piktures

Now this is a great gallery app! It looks great, it handles your photos by folders or by date (and then a calendar pops up, with photos shown at the day they were taken). The only bug I've encountered so far is deleting multiple photos at once - sometimes it just doesn't delete all of the selected photos.

Backgrounds HD

Lots of cool wallpapers. When I browse it to download wallpapers, I just can't stop! They are all great.

Wallpaper Changer

My phone won't seem to change wallpapers from a certain folder after an X amount of time. This little app takes care of that.

Flynx

Browser that works kinda like Facebook messenger. Bubbles pop up on the screen when you click a link in any app, so the pages can load in background while you continue to do whatever it is you were doing. When you want to see the website you just click on the bubble! It loads text only which is useful when you're on data, but the downside is that it's useless on websites like 9gag. Did I mention it doesn't load ads?

Hello (by Facebook)

It can be used as a regular contacts app, but the good thing about it is that the numbers are synced with Facebook (for those who didn't make them private). So, for instance, you can find a number of that pizza place, person who made their number public, or any other business related Facebook page within the app's search (without the need to open up Facebook), it's also great as a number ID tool. It was put up for testing (and removed) a while ago, but it's easy to find an APK.

Pocket

Can't get enough of it! Whenever I'm on WiFi, I browse around and download tons of articles to read when I don't have WiFi access (mostly on workdays). And it also has suggestions, which is amazing because it mostly shows articles you'd most likely take interest in. It also lets you follow people (writers behind the content, I think), which I haven't explored yet - but I will! I have it as an extension on Opera on my PC - which probably makes any page available for offline reading. It's syncable with your Android device, naturally.

-------------------

Can anyone recommend me a good app for taking photos - other than the stock one?

Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Today @ 16:22 PM
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,256x in 2,115 Posts
    Denmark
    Pocket is one of the best apps I have - can't imagine living without it anymore tbh.

Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 20:28 PM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506x in 982 Posts
    Netherlands
    Ive used pocket a lot while flying or on vacation, great app indeed!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Finally received an Android 6.0 upgrade on my Huawei P8lite! And then I just went bonkers with it. Applied an Android N theme (6.0 functionality with 7.0 looks!) - didn't know I could've done it before but nevermind. I've also replaced the default system font to (something resembling) Helvetica Neue LT - the one Apple uses - and I got to say it looks way better than the system default. Yeah, I'm a sucker for awesomely designed software and everything within it.

But before that, I've tried out a few apps, and because it's been months since I've wrote anything here, I'm going to do so now. So, here are some of my favourites, the ones I use a lot - or the ones I just like.

---

Flipboard (news)

May have wrote about earlier, but I use it in the morning, read news while drinking coffee and eat breakfast. Cool way to start your day.

GIPHY (GIFs)

Great selection of GIFs, cool app. Lets you even download GIFs to your phone!

Focus (gallery)

Cool gallery replacement app, with its own tagging system (which is quite easy). Lets you lock the app, or even hide some dick pics you don't want your grandmother to see.

Klara (weather)

Pretty cool, and easily readable weather app. Has an amazing widget, too! I've never had a weather app for so long without changing it!

Infinit (file-sharing)

Pretty good app, an alternative to Pushbullet - even though PB has far more functions. But nevertheless cool app.

Texpand (text expander)

Currently using it for autocorrect when I write ":d", only to correct the "d" to a "D". I use text expansion software on my laptop and it's one of the biggest discoveries I had! So I plan to start using it on my phone as well.

CM Locker (lock screen)

A pretty standard locker, but aside from all the bloatware, it lets me change wallpapers of my lock screen whenever I want (it does so automatically on a daily basis). That's what kinda sets it aside.

Super File Manager (...)

Has a nice design and that's only why I'm using it. And it works. Ads and bloatware are kinda the bad side of it.

drupe (contacts, dialer...)

Amazing app and the one I use all the time. Just love it. Pretty simple, looks good, and does a lot. Too bad it won't sync with Facebook.

Google Duo (video chat)

Video chat. It's that simple. You download it, enter your phone number, and then you can video call your contacts if they have the app. Nothing else. Oh, and it has a wonderful feature: When someone calls you, you can see what they are doing even before you answer. Unfortunately only one friend has it.

Any.do (tasks, lists etc)

Looks cool, does the job. Nothing more I need.

---

By the way, does anyone know any cool ringtone and notification sounds app? Zedge has A LOT of weird and unusable ones. I simply want a simple notification sound, not a fucking Old Spice whistle sound. Try having that as a notification and receiving a couple of messages in a row...

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    So recently I bought a new phone (Huawei P10 Lite), and I decided to check this thread out for the forgotten gems. And update you on the apps I use now since it's been a year.

Here they are, without any specific order.

AirDroid
    For file transfer from/to PC. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but gets the job done. Pushbullet was better but had the size limit which made me stop using it.

BVB
    All things Borussia Dortmund. It FINALLY got an English version.

Cal (by Any.do)
    Simple and beautiful calendar app. Not for power-users. I only need it to look good and sync to my Google calendar. It's my favourite calendar app simply because of that.

CCleaner
    Use it every now and then just to tidy things up... It can't delete cache though.

Classic Tetris
    Basic, and got me hooked. Ah, the childhood memories.

Deezer
    The best. Premium for free (because of my carrier), with free internet for using it. I don't even have MP3s on my phone, I use Deezer mostly (well, except for mixes or what's not on Deezer). Still needs work as an app or as a service, but it's good. They keep improving it.

Drupe
    Best contacts/dialer app ever. It's one of the most user-friendly apps I ever knew. Too bad the Facebook changed their API and didn't allow Drupe to sync the data from Facebook; it would've been more complete as an app. I strongly suggest you check it out.

EON
    App from my cable/internet provider. Allows me to watch TV on my phone. Only got released recently, we are so far behind the world when it comes to technology and services it's insane.

Facebook
    I use it very rarely, just scroll down the feed 2-3 times a day to see what's up.

Firefox Focus
    A privacy-based browser. Kinda like Tor on Windows, I think.

FL Mobile
    Yep. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to boot up my laptop when I have a great idea. Will need some practice to get to grips with its interface but it's very good.

Flipboard
    Love it. The recent updates have made it awesome, with the ability to choose (and flip through) your interests, making them separate news feeds. My only news app.

HBO GO
    HBO for free (again, because of my carrier). Unlimited internet for using the app. The UI is kinda dated but it does the job. So far, watched 2 seasons of The Sopranos on it and it's working well, without an issue.

IL Remote (by and for FL Studio)
    Awesome and useful little app. Your phone can become a controller for basically anything you set it for. It can be a drum pad, a keyboard...the options are endless.

IMDb
    Pretty useful.

Instagram
    My favourite (and most used) social network. It's just awesome. I don't post basically anything though.

Messenger (by Facebook)
    #1 messaging app. It gets a bit buggy but it just has everything. I think the My Day feature was a stupid move, though.

Nova Launcher
    IMO the best launcher out there. The customization options are endless. I still crave for the translucent background (for dock and app drawer), but it's not gonna happen. I'm satisfied with it anyways.

Opera
    My main browser both on PC and phone. I use it on my phone purely because I can sync bookmarks and stuff.

Photos (by Google)
    Watched the Google Event yesterday, didn't even know what this app was capable of! Auto-tags the photos based on what's in it. Recognizes different people, pets and whatnot.

Piktures
    My main gallery app since I don't know when. Beautiful and useful.

Sleep as Android
    Awesome app. Sleep tracking, different alarm modes, different tasks before you can disable alarms etc. Full of features.

Sesame Shortcuts
    It's for Nova Launcher. Don't know how to explain it, if you use Nova, check it out.

SofaScore
    Best live score app out there. Just keeps getting better and better.

SoundCloud
    Use it mostly for listening to my own work.

Stellio
    Still my go-to player for MP3s.

Survival Manual
    Cool and small little app. Has lots of useful info.

SwiftKey Keyboard
    My favourite keyboard. Full of awesome features, in a lot of great themes. If only it could be more like Chroma: changing its colour based on the colour of the app it's typing in. About the only thing that's missing.

Textra
    SMS app. Very customizable. Would still add a thing or two there but I think it's the best one out there.

Twitter
    Mostly for checking out BVB news from journalists.

VLC
    My go-to video player. Does what I need it for.

Weather Timeline
    Awesome-looking weather app. Very easy to use.

WhatsApp
    For relatives that don't have Facebook Messenger (or have been blocked by me) and for our little TF group chat.

Wunderlist
    One of the prettiest to-do apps out there. Been using it for years, both on my phone and my PC.

Last Online
    Today @ 19:19 PM
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,260x in 1,563 Posts
    United Kingdom
    @Gagi Fucking hell you have a lot of apps. I am an app designer and never use apps (haha). Only really Whatsapp, Transport apps, Gmail and Banking. I use only for functional stuff. I am trying Lifesum recently so I can track my nutrition but so far I don't really get into a habit. I am also making my own personal app at the moment, so maybe next year you can add it to your list

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    @Gagi Fucking hell you have a lot of apps. I am an app designer and never use apps (haha). Only really Whatsapp, Transport apps, Gmail and Banking. I use only for functional stuff. I am trying Lifesum recently so I can track my nutrition but so far I don't really get into a habit. I am also making my own personal app at the moment, so maybe next year you can add it to your list
    Haha, those are just the ones I use more often. I love exploring new apps, but in the past year or so none 'took my breath away'. Especially design-wise.

That's awesome! Will probably develop some myself in the future. Any more info on your apps (and the one you're making ATM)?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    IFTTT (IF This Then That)

Tried Tasker but it was too complicated and required too much work for my needs. Plus I didn't like its interface. I might get back to it someday, though. So I got IFTTT. It doesn't have as much functionalities, but it's good enough for me. Plus it looks great. I've set up a few automations (some myself), as I recognize I need other ones, I'll add those too. I like how you just set it up once, and it works for you.

So no more muting the ringtone as soon as I enter college or when I go to sleep so I wouldn't be disturbed, no more un-muting as soon as I get home. Just set location triggers and I'm done. I also connected it to Google Assistant, so I could use it to send messages on Messenger via voice commands (but to myself only, pity). It can do lots of stuff, with lots of different services.

Last Online
    Today @ 16:22 PM
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,256x in 2,115 Posts
    Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    IFTTT (IF This Then That)

Tried Tasker but it was too complicated and required too much work for my needs. Plus I didn't like its interface. I might get back to it someday, though. So I got IFTTT. It doesn't have as much functionalities, but it's good enough for me. Plus it looks great. I've set up a few automations (some myself), as I recognize I need other ones, I'll add those too. I like how you just set it up once, and it works for you.

So no more muting the ringtone as soon as I enter college or when I go to sleep so I wouldn't be disturbed, no more un-muting as soon as I get home. Just set location triggers and I'm done. I also connected it to Google Assistant, so I could use it to send messages on Messenger via voice commands (but to myself only, pity). It can do lots of stuff, with lots of different services.
    Does it use a lot of battery?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Katadunkass View Post
    Does it use a lot of battery?
    Well, it's been 12 h since my last charge, the consumption level (percentage) of IFTTT is 0.55%. I have a 3000 mAh battery.

If you want to get more specific, here are some stats:

CPU time used: 1 min 18 s
    CPU time used (background): 29 s
    GPS running time: < 1 s
    Wi-Fi running time: < 1 s
    Kept system on for: 5 min 11 s
    Uploaded mobile data: 24.67 KB
    Downloaded mobile data: 183 KB
    Power consumption level 17.53 mAh

And since this morning, it had I believe 2 triggers - one of which is location-bound - the other one time-bound.

Battery use is not noticeable at all. It IS possible for it to use system services (location and whatnot) and other apps, but if you got that enabled already and running in the background it's nothing big. If anything, from what I've read, it can improve your battery life via various triggers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Katadunkass (11-03-2017)