Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum cleansing, purging, mop-up in the corners, etc.

Last Online
    07-27-2012 @ 13:53 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 4 Posts
    Australia

Forum cleansing, purging, mop-up in the corners, etc.

The idea possibly worth considering here is that there may be the need for some cleaning up in the regions of the forum not even known to exist to some members of the community.

I see from time to time people instructing others who have just posted a topic "use search" or "search is you're friend" with the link underneath to direct them to the topic with the topic that has already been created.
    Sometimes there can more than 2 that are the same, or of the same topic content.

Now if you search for something ambiguous, like "chicken", you will see quite alot of pages return. When you look over most of those topics, especially the ones that have 2 or 3 similarities, then you begin to notice repeating contents. The subject "Chicken and Egg" is an example where by there are 4 topics that are relevant to this.

http://www.trancefix.nl/showthread.p...ken-or-the-egg
    http://www.trancefix.nl/showthread.p...or-the-chicken
    http://www.trancefix.nl/showthread.p...-do-you-prefer
    http://www.trancefix.nl/showthread.p...Chicken-or-egg

Most people, mainly the newer ones who want to talk about something in discussions, usually avoid searching before posting a topic, since they are unassumingly aware that it may be likely to redevelop the same ideas as someone else already had, especially if it was 3 or 4 years ago somewhere in the back of the TF archive.

As the forum gets older, eventually resulting in more and more topics being posted and discussed, the archive will build up steadily, eventually becoming large enough to ignore or forget half of the forum topics created and stored.

I notice the search results now do not display up to 15 pages, like I use to see, so the search function is doing its duty effectively however there may be relevancy issues when browsing through the return lists on queries.
    I made some experimental searches with words like "love" and "east", the return varies quite differently not because the term is too brief and open (topic attracting), but the fact of needing to go through the process of using advanced search to get near a desired topic.

The speed is great in the search, although after some thinking, it might be sensible to merge, purge, and delete/recycle to lessen the topics which do not get any replies now due to their age.
    Although that really only applies if the topics are not getting any attention but since there are many to think about, it might be a idea for now, to save time later?

It could even solve the inactive problem that some people talk about, if it is done properly.
    If any one was to go into General discussions, and jump to page 10-20 and higher, you might be intrigued by the topics in there that could be used to both keep the most liked ideas at the front of the forum sections and re-activate the discussion aspeck with many people who think there is nothing to talk about that they haven't already done so.

It is a task however, and I understand if members (mods esp.) are not in favour of doing anything, but in the thought of making richer content in the discussion sections, you could clean up some duplicates, bump topics that have had recent posts merged into, and re-present the backlog of the forum in a neat, tidy and attractive way to enhance the diversity of topics in the current light of discussion.
    Last edited by Tranzi; 09-01-2011 at 16:33 PM.
    Check out the Beach + Confectionery groups on TF, there not like others, there much more...

Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately us mods have our limits, time wise and memory wise. Some things will fall through the net like on the example you've given. 4 instances isn't good to see and I am sure that is not alone so thank you for bringing that to our attention.

As for the bumping of topics, that should automatically occur when recent posts are merged into an old thread, up to the date of the last post.
    'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety' - Benjamin Franklin

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 4 Posts
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Unfortunately us mods have our limits, time wise and memory wise. Some things will fall through the net like on the example you've given. 4 instances isn't good to see and I am sure that is not alone so thank you for bringing that to our attention.

As for the bumping of topics, that should automatically occur when recent posts are merged into an old thread, up to the date of the last post.
    The idea worth considering though?
    I know there are limits to what people do, have time for etc. but if a such a large scale moderation was to take place, the benifits will be positive, even if the simple clean-up?
    That's the main reason for raising it. I'm sure there would be other opinions about this that some members think about this, older ones mainly who remember 2006, 2007 and i guess 2008 posting phenomena.

Generally though, I don't think most people need to talk much about new things, as they would post doing so.
    Check out the Beach + Confectionery groups on TF, there not like others, there much more...

Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 13:32 PM
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 684x in 447 Posts
    Lithuania
    I've accidentally found many dupes/similar topics when using search so far + there're many locked threads which are of no use so yeah, I think there's still much to be merged/cleaned.. however such task is very time consuming :1
    Wrote a review of a trance release ?
    PM me and it might get posted on the frontpage

You friendzoned me for Trance?

Last Online
    12-04-2011 @ 21:37 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 137x in 108 Posts
    Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by cheer_up View Post
    I've accidentally found many dupes/similar topics when using search so far + there're many locked threads which are of no use so yeah, I think there's still much to be merged/cleaned.. however such task is very time consuming :1
    Luckily we have so lovely & cheery moderators, super moderators and administrators that do the job with great enthusiasm!

Last Online
    12-05-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,081x in 694 Posts
    Denmark
    yes we can!
    pure love for my TranceFix family

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Life is made of small moments like these

Last Online
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Purge it with flames! *ahem*

Fixing suggests something is broken, this isn't broken but it is inefficient if one is conducting searches for old topics.
    'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety' - Benjamin Franklin

Last Online
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Denmark
    I get your points Tranzi, but I don't think it's a task easily done. None of us here remember all topics and / or which words and terms we need to use to search for certain topics whenever we do remember that a similar topic already exists. I think the way we do it now is the way to go, actually the only way to go. It can't be done otherwise, that's just impossible

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 4 Posts
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine^ View Post
    I get your points Tranzi, but I don't think it's a task easily done. None of us here remember all topics and / or which words and terms we need to use to search for certain topics whenever we do remember that a similar topic already exists. I think the way we do it now is the way to go, actually the only way to go. It can't be done otherwise, that's just impossible
    I'm by no means implying an action, but rather suggesting a consideration. Mainly just a suggestive question.

Time ㅡ duration, I do not doubt its demand, but if looking from the other side of view, the side where the forum will look newer, efficient etc., that may provide some more enthusiastic approaches.
    You know, prefering to allow the negativity to precede, results mostly in the achieving of it.

(All that is required is to jump to the last pages of each forum section/sub-section and workning back in ascending order to the current pages, mainly before the current ones and making some small mod jobs on few topics that need to be done, looking for closed/locked/double names (you will know them when they read obvious) etc.)

I'm sure if it was to be taken in turns, one by one, slowly after a particular amount of time, you will notice that the set goal is well on the way to being achieved.

Anyway, back to the main point ㅡ The thoughts regarding the benifits.

However, the majority of you may feel that since the idea impedes too much personal time, its not worth worrying about, others may just think its not worth worrying about altogether.
    That is understandable and I wont question.

Basically though, just to get a broad overview here, I raise this with the thought of providing feedback inside a question in a suggestion.
    This is the section for doing so, right?
    Last edited by Tranzi; 09-06-2011 at 16:28 PM.

Last Online
    10-05-2013 @ 22:59 PM
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 97x in 84 Posts
    Mayotte
    I vehemently disagree. Why delete these beautiful topics? As for duplicate topics, perhaps the cure is worse than the ail?
    I dont believe all this merging and puting posts relating to a subject in a megatopic is a good thing.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by 2030 View Post
    I vehemently disagree. Why delete these beautiful topics? As for duplicate topics, perhaps the cure is worse than the ail?
    I dont believe all this merging and puting posts relating to a subject in a megatopic is a good thing.
    We're not suggesting merging threads into megatopics.

Tranzi has pointed out duplicate threads for the same topic. When the topic is the same it makes sense to merge them.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranzi View Post
    However, the majority of you may feel that since the idea impedes too much personal time, its not worth worrying about, others may just think its not worth worrying about altogether.
    That is understandable and I wont question.

Basically though, just to get a broad overview here, I raise this with the thought of providing feedback inside a question in a suggestion.
    This is the section for doing so, right?
    Indeed it is it's not that we're not "worried" about it, I think what you're requesting is what we're already doing - whenever we encounter a topic about something that we remember has been discussed once before in another topic, we locate that other topic and merge the threads. As for taking it page by page going back through the entire archive I think is something that we think is a lot of work and not worth the time or effort. I rather spend my time hunting down spambots and such but I assure you it's been taken into consideration and I'm glad that you ask

Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 20:28 PM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506x in 982 Posts
    Netherlands
    Once such threads are being reported it will make it a bit easier for the modjes! :-)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppetmaster View Post
    Once such threads are being reported it will make it a bit easier for the modjes! :-)
    Definitely! Plus it's not always that the thread titles are informative enough when it comes to actual thread content. So the more minds that work together on this the better

Last Online
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 4 Posts
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by 2030 View Post
    Without your usual personal judgements, why do you think that way?

* Why keep older threads when people always seem to be posting new ones which create duplicates?
    Do you turn to the older topics at the back of the sections and contribute to them?
    * Why keep a page full of locked threads which are possibly not relevant to today's forum, and have it remain?
    Do you return to these topics and contribute to them?
    * Why keep a page full of duplicate topics which either any one doesn't aim at a different approach, topic or discussion?
    Do you return to these topics and contribute to every one of them seperately, as a different discussion?
    * Why tell people (members, who are usually new) who post topics considered previously created and getting instructed by a moderator, to seek an alternative and use the search function before lodging a new topic?
    Do you find yourself telling these people to seek the alternative topic(-s) or contribute to the new ones posted?

* Why have a large selection of pages for an entire section, when half, if not more are mostly ignored altogether?
    Do you return to all these pages in the section and actively contribute to every one of them as a new topic worth discussing?
    * Why say leave the topics untouched when so many other modifications take place on the forum regarding designs, front pages, members, contests, announcements etc.?
    Do you say your answers with prejudice?
    I never mentioned mega posts, so clearly a forced missunderstanding I gather?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine^
    Indeed it is it's not that we're not "worried" about it, I think what you're requesting is what we're already doing - whenever we encounter a topic about something that we remember has been discussed once before in another topic, we locate that other topic and merge the threads. As for taking it page by page going back through the entire archive I think is something that we think is a lot of work and not worth the time or effort. I rather spend my time hunting down spambots and such but I assure you it's been taken into consideration and I'm glad that you ask
    What I am suggesting could be done is to actually have a look at at the back of sections like 'General Discussion' / 'Music Discussion' (maybe) / 'Chillout' and look at possibly where you could remove useless not needed topics, where you could possibly merge duplicate topic content, anything acceptable to try and minimize or infact rather 'compress' the sections' page count where possible, limited to the average number of pages one would go to when reading a section of topics (mainly older topics with limited views and comments, simple topic titles or content's that match other topics in the same section elsewhere, mostly at the older, untouched to the rear end of these sections)
    Last edited by Tranzi; 09-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.