Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 540 of 1018

Thread: The Gaming Thread - Part 3

  1. #526

    PegaSus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:00 PM
    Location
    Beilen
    Age
    34
    Gender
    Posts
    12,317
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    7,210
    Thanked 4,229x in 2,556 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    Hey guys I need some insight! I currently have an EVGA GTX650 2GB DDR5 Graphics card. However I'm about to upgrade to a GTX 670. So I opened up my case to check if it will be compatible and I noticed something confusing about the wiring. My current card is connected to my non-modular 600W PSU with a regular 6pin to 2x4pin power connector like this one.
    Attachment 12029
    what caught my attention is that only ONE of the 4 pins connectors is connected to my PSU. Shouldn't both be connected? Although the card seems to be getting enough power to run at full capacity, I don't understand why there are two pins. Should I connect the other one?

    And if I was to get a GTX670, it will need an extra power connector. Will I have to connect all 4 ends or 2 is enough? because there's only 3 sticking out of my PSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    My brain is seriously not in gear today but I'll see if I can answer this later I will do, got a GTX670 running now.
    Think the GTX670 should be connected like this:

    My CD Collection:

    1000 items and rising

    http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=PegaSus2k6



  2. #527
    lyonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 14:11 PM
    Location
    Lebanon
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 51x in 43 Posts
    Lebanon
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    My brain is seriously not in gear today but I'll see if I can answer this later I will do, got a GTX670 running now.
    Alright

    Quote Originally Posted by PegaSus View Post
    Think the GTX670 should be connected like this
    Yes, but my concern is the other end of the cable where it's connected to the Power Supply. Should both ends of each cable be connected or will 1 suffice?





  3. #528

    PegaSus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:00 PM
    Location
    Beilen
    Age
    34
    Gender
    Posts
    12,317
    Mentioned
    541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    7,210
    Thanked 4,229x in 2,556 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    Alright



    Yes, but my concern is the other end of the cable where it's connected to the Power Supply. Should both ends of each cable be connected or will 1 suffice?
    I guess both ends should be connected. I assume you can just find out by trying? Not sure, but I don't think you will blow something up if connected wrong though.
    My CD Collection:

    1000 items and rising

    http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=PegaSus2k6



  4. #529
    Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Location
    Kanye Land
    Gender
    Posts
    9,800
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    Hey guys I need some insight! I currently have an EVGA GTX650 2GB DDR5 Graphics card. However I'm about to upgrade to a GTX 670. So I opened up my case to check if it will be compatible and I noticed something confusing about the wiring. My current card is connected to my non-modular 600W PSU with a regular 6pin to 2x4pin power connector like this one.
    Attachment 12029
    what caught my attention is that only ONE of the 4 pins connectors is connected to my PSU. Shouldn't both be connected? Although the card seems to be getting enough power to run at full capacity, I don't understand why there are two pins. Should I connect the other one?

    And if I was to get a GTX670, it will need an extra power connector. Will I have to connect all 4 ends or 2 is enough? because there's only 3 sticking out of my PSU.
    Out of curiosity what power supply do you have?

    When you say you've only one of the 4 pins connected to the PSU I assume you mean one of the Molex connectors above (white)?

    In terms of power requirement for GTX650 it states output maximum of 64W with minimum PSU power requirement of 400W. Considering you get 75W through PCI-E I'm wondering whether the power connector is needed at all if you're not OC'ing the card and are using a single card?

    75 Watts
    None

    150 Watts
    One six-pin connector

    225 Watts
    Two six-pin connectors*

    300 Watts
    One eight-pin connector + one six-pin connector

    375 Watts
    Two eight-pin connectors

    450 Watts
    Two eight-pin connectors + one six-pin connector
    Going via the Nvidia website the GTX 670 is a large jump up to 170W, hence the need for 2 connectors. You'd need them.

    I'm not an expert on this by any means but looks like:

    < 75W = Onboard MB power
    < 150W = 1 x 6 pin
    < 225W = 2 x 6 pin

    On top of all this you then need to consider the efficiency of the CPU. They're nearly all 80+ these days.

    If you're running only one card I'd be tempted to see if the GTX 650 will run without any excess juice from the PSU. The MB might be able to power alone.
    'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety' - Benjamin Franklin

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darren For This Useful Post:

    lyonx (06-22-2014)

  6. #530
    Katadunkass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 13:58 PM
    Location
    Stoholm
    Gender
    Posts
    7,404
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,697
    Thanked 3,256x in 2,115 Posts
    Denmark
    ^^As a complete n00b on the area^


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Katadunkass For This Useful Post:

    Nangle (06-26-2014)

  8. #531
    Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Location
    Kanye Land
    Gender
    Posts
    9,800
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Katadunkass View Post
    ^^As a complete n00b on the area^

    image
    Power requirements from two Nvidia graphics cards, the GTX 650 & 670.

    Cables and connectors needed to hook between the graphics cards and the PSU, power supply. (4 pin, 6 pin, Molex etc)

    The connections on the MB (Motherboard) used for them, PCI-E.

    'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety' - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #532
    lyonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 14:11 PM
    Location
    Lebanon
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 51x in 43 Posts
    Lebanon
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Out of curiosity what power supply do you have?
    I don't really know to be honest. I unscrewed it and took it out of place a while ago so i can read the wattage, because unfortunately the readings are at the bottom. I know for sure that its 600 watts but I have no idea whats the brand, probably something made in china. It has no sockets, it just has the wires sticking out of it, among of which there are 3 Molex connectors.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    When you say you've only one of the 4 pins connected to the PSU I assume you mean one of the Molex connectors above (white)?
    Yes. exactly. Thats why I'm asking if I should use both Molex ends of the connector. My current card only has one 6pin slot, and it runs fine with only 1 molex end connected to the PSU. But when I upgrade to the GTX670, I will need to use two 6pin connectors, as in the picture PegaSus posted. So I will have a total of 4 molex ends to connects to the PSU but there's only 3 available. So I'm wondering if 3 or maybe 2 will suffice. Because for the GTX650 1 was enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    In terms of power requirement for GTX650 it states output maximum of 64W with minimum PSU power requirement of 400W. Considering you get 75W through PCI-E I'm wondering whether the power connector is needed at all if you're not OC'ing the card and are using a single card?



    Going via the Nvidia website the GTX 670 is a large jump up to 170W, hence the need for 2 connectors. You'd need them.

    I'm not an expert on this by any means but looks like:

    < 75W = Onboard MB power
    < 150W = 1 x 6 pin
    < 225W = 2 x 6 pin
    Ahh! that's good information. I had no idea that the card can have power from the MB. And no I'm not overclocking. however are you sure that it takes power simultaneously from the MB and the power supply when i also have it connected to the PSU?

    And again, will 2 connectors provide me with ~225W if I connect only 1 molex end from each connector ? will the connector provide more power if it has both molexes connected or is it the same as connecting 1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    On top of all this you then need to consider the efficiency of the CPU. They're nearly all 80+ these days.
    By efficiency you mean the CPU's power consumption right? If so, then I don't think this should be a problem I have an i7 3770. And the GTX670's max consuption is 170W and it requires a PSU of 500W as the on website specifications dictate. So I suppose a 600W PSU is enough.



    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    If you're running only one card I'd be tempted to see if the GTX 650 will run without any excess juice from the PSU. The MB might be able to power alone.
    I disconnected the VGA's power connector to the PSU and I turned on the PC. My screen remained black, but the VGA's fan was spinning at max speed. So the VGA was receiving power from the MB but the system didn't load.
    Last edited by lyonx; 06-22-2014 at 18:41 PM.





  10. #533
    FJV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 11:38 AM
    Location
    Boca del Rio, Veracruz
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Posts
    673
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 359x in 237 Posts
    Mexico
    lel @Darren knows his stuff.
    Screw #TranceFamily, screw TrashBerlin, screw the heart hands, screw all the cheese music that shouldnt be attempting to the glory of Trance.
    LONG LIVE TO REAL TRANCE!!!

  11. #534
    Darren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Location
    Kanye Land
    Gender
    Posts
    9,800
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by FJV View Post
    lel @Darren knows his stuff.
    I really don't lol, bit of reading (for me a lot) and anybody can get clued up

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    I don't really know to be honest. I unscrewed it and took it out of place a while ago so i can read the wattage, because unfortunately the readings are at the bottom. I know for sure that its 600 watts but I have no idea whats the brand, probably something made in china. It has no sockets, it just has the wires sticking out of it, among of which there are 3 Molex connectors.
    Okay understood, unbranded PSU with 3 Molex

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    Yes. exactly. Thats why I'm asking if I should use both Molex ends of the connector. My current card only has one 6pin slot, and it runs fine with only 1 molex end connected to the PSU. But when I upgrade to the GTX670, I will need to use two 6pin connectors, as in the picture PegaSus posted. So I will have a total of 4 molex ends to connects to the PSU but there's only 3 available. So I'm wondering if 3 or maybe 2 will suffice. Because for the GTX650 1 was enough.
    I was trying to see if you needed two Molex connections because of voltage, amp restrictions through one Molex, I.e. to avoid heat issues but couldn't find a solid answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    Ahh! that's good information. I had no idea that the card can have power from the MB. And no I'm not overclocking. however are you sure that it takes power simultaneously from the MB and the power supply when i also have it connected to the PSU?
    Well cards draw power otherwise anything on the board would be pretty much dead without a direct connection to the PSU. I remember I had a sound card which needed juice from the PSU because of an onboard amp.

    As for 75W on PCIE, I don't know if that is across all lanes, or per lane.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    And again, will 2 connectors provide me with ~225W if I connect only 1 molex end from each connector ? will the connector provide more power if it has both molexes connected or is it the same as connecting 1?
    Honestly you're best off asking on some hardware forums. Good community ones I know of are:

    Hexus.net
    hardocp.com

    Have more if needed, most US based.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    By efficiency you mean the CPU's power consumption right? If so, then I don't think this should be a problem I have an i7 3770. And the GTX670's max consuption is 170W and it requires a PSU of 500W as the on website specifications dictate. So I suppose a 600W PSU is enough.
    When I mention efficiency I mean of the PSU. My bad on this one, I've learnt something new. you will get 600W out of a 600W rated PSU but if it's 50% efficient you'd draw 1200W from the mains. You have a loss of efficiency and excess is lost as heat.

    Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    Efficiency varies depending upon draw, on a bad PSU it can do quite badly.

    Quote Originally Posted by lyonx View Post
    I disconnected the VGA's power connector to the PSU and I turned on the PC. My screen remained black, but the VGA's fan was spinning at max speed. So the VGA was receiving power from the MB but the system didn't load.
    Clearly needs power from the PSU then. Was worth a go.
    'Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety' - Benjamin Franklin

  12. #535
    Hensmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Posts
    5,651
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,415
    Thanked 2,245x in 1,551 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Just re-bought my favorite game of all time Half life on steam for 3 quid . Cannot wait to play it again, it must have been over 10 years now!

  13. #536
    Tievb21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,470
    Thanked 187x in 121 Posts
    Greece
    I play Civilization V lately, and have huge problem....before stop playing, I always say more than 20 times: "Last round...oh last round seriously...grr one more...I neeeeed it....OHH they attack me, fuck..." So,I really enjoy it ^_^

  14. #537
    lyonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 14:11 PM
    Location
    Lebanon
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 51x in 43 Posts
    Lebanon
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I really don't lol, bit of reading (for me a lot) and anybody can get clued up



    Okay understood, unbranded PSU with 3 Molex



    I was trying to see if you needed two Molex connections because of voltage, amp restrictions through one Molex, I.e. to avoid heat issues but couldn't find a solid answer.



    Well cards draw power otherwise anything on the board would be pretty much dead without a direct connection to the PSU. I remember I had a sound card which needed juice from the PSU because of an on board amp.

    As for 75W on PCIE, I don't know if that is across all lanes, or per lane.



    Honestly you're best off asking on some hardware forums. Good community ones I know of are:

    Hexus.net
    hardocp.com

    Have more if needed, most US based.



    When I mention efficiency I mean of the PSU. My bad on this one, I've learnt something new. you will get 600W out of a 600W rated PSU but if it's 50% efficient you'd draw 1200W from the mains. You have a loss of efficiency and excess is lost as heat.

    Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

    Efficiency varies depending upon draw, on a bad PSU it can do quite badly.



    Clearly needs power from the PSU then. Was worth a go.
    Thanks for your input Darren, the information you provided was very useful. I ended up buying a GTX 760 because the 670 went out of stock. I'ts really hard to be picky when it comes to VGAs in my country. Even though the 670 performs slightly better, the 760 does not disappoint. It works fine, it comes with one 6 pin connector and one 8 pin connector. had to connect all 3 available molexes to get it going (two for the 8 pin and one for the 6 pin).





  15. #538
    Halon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Location
    Norway - Scandinavia
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    5,515
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    3,611
    Thanked 1,819x in 1,368 Posts
    Norway
    Just finished Halo 4.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

  16. #539
    Katadunkass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 13:58 PM
    Location
    Stoholm
    Gender
    Posts
    7,404
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,697
    Thanked 3,256x in 2,115 Posts
    Denmark
    Quote Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    Just finished Halo 4.
    Last 20 minutes of that game:

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Katadunkass For This Useful Post:

    Halon (07-11-2014)

  18. #540
    Halon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 AM
    Location
    Norway - Scandinavia
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    5,515
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    3,611
    Thanked 1,819x in 1,368 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Katadunkass View Post
    Last 20 minutes of that game:
    image
    Yeah: p Halo 5 is coming soon.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •