Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: meditation

Last Online
    07-11-2016 @ 00:22 AM
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 772x in 526 Posts
    Netherlands

meditation

Do you do it, and if so, what method?

I use it to clear my mind. It helps me to stop overthinking the meaning behind my own actions and others', so I can just accept things for what they are. It also helps a lot with not giving a fuck in general about all kinds of things that hardly affect me or are simply beyond my influence.
    My first track, let me know what you think!

Please give me feedback, I want to get better

Oh and don't be afraid to go to my Facebook page and hit like button, it's there for a reason

Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 14:54 PM
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 873x in 597 Posts
    Austria
    I want to do it a long time now but i canīt get it working somehow.
    I try to count from 1 to 10 imaginary and see the numbers passing by my closed eyes, but i never did 5 or 10 minutes, my in/exhaling in sync the whole time seems to confuse me and i get out of sync...

Would love to do it, iīm sure it would help me in some problems i struggle atm!

"Here's the thing, kid: We don't get to choose how we start in this life.
    Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt."

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Phael View Post
    I try to count from 1 to 10 imaginary and see the numbers passing by my closed eyes, but i never did 5 or 10 minutes, my in/exhaling in sync the whole time seems to confuse me and i get out of sync...

I keep it very simple. I sit on my bed, relax, stare at the wall, and allow my mind to go blank. If a thought pops up, I stop it. 25 minutes, and I'm timeless and relaxed as a stoned guy. With a working brain, that is. Everything's clear for a while after that.

Oh and don't be afraid to go to my Facebook page and hit like button, it's there for a reason

Last Online
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Austria
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    I keep it very simple. I sit on my bed, relax, stare at the wall, and allow my mind to go blank. If a thought pops up, I stop it. 25 minutes, and I'm timeless and relaxed as a stoned guy. With a working brain, that is. Everything's clear for a while after that.
    You kidding?
    How can you just stop thoughts, at what do you think instead? Thinking about nothing is impossible i guess..

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    You kidding?
    How can you just stop thoughts, at what do you think instead? Thinking about nothing is impossible i guess..
    Well it's what I do and I'm no professional monk or anything so apparently it's not that hard

Just stop thinking every thought you have.
    "Pff that dude in that mov... stop."
    "What should I eat ton... stop."
    "I wonder if I'm doing this ri... stop."
    "Yay, I'm not thi... stop."
    etc.
    Eventually it's just "What... stop.", "How... stop.", "Should I... stop." "If... stop.", you'll feel it slowing down.

I see it as a processor that gets flooded with running processes. Quitting a bunch of processes or even just rebooting makes sure the processor has less to do, cools down, and has space for new and more complicated stuff.
    Last edited by Alex E; 08-18-2013 at 00:32 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex E For This Useful Post:

Phael (08-18-2013)

Last Online
    12-12-2016 @ 06:22 AM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 43x in 35 Posts
    Canada
    I don't do that kinda shit but especially some westerners have found this meditation stuff so romantic I don't understand why the only think I see some east indian guys who are able to smoke weed anytime and then philosophize about anything but come on bro!! I gotta get to work to pay my bills
    Last edited by Centurion; 08-18-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    I don't do that kinda shit but especially some westerners have found this meditation stuff so romantic I don't understand why the only think I see some east indian guys who are able to smoke weed anytime and then philosophize about anything but come on bro!! I gotta get to work to pay my bills
    Hehe ok, opinions and stuff. But it does elevate your thinking, simple IQ tests have shown that. Nothing romantic about it It's just a structured and effective way of clearing your brain and can be very beneficial, even for your work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex E For This Useful Post:

Centurion (08-18-2013)

Last Online
    08-12-2017 @ 00:28 AM
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,177x in 2,104 Posts
    United States
    i have never tried meditating before...especially since i have bad adhd, i don't think i would be able to do it...it would be nice to be able to do it though...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:00 PM
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 682x in 446 Posts
    Lithuania
    You kidding?
    It is possible and I like that feeling a lot. When there're literally NO thoughts, just complete silence.
    Wrote a review of a trance release ?
    PM me and it might get posted on the frontpage

You friendzoned me for Trance?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Austria
    at what do you think instead, nothing is nothing you can think about because itīs not there :/

Quote Originally Posted by cheer_up View Post
    It is possible and I like that feeling a lot. When there're literally NO thoughts, just complete silence.
    Tell me your secret, how do you accomplish that?

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    Today @ 13:30 PM
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 310x in 230 Posts
    India

I think you're trying to hypnotize yourself . Dude dont do that.
    A Journey through Sound & Light

Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    I should practice much more but I have done so on ocassion, using counts and breath as a guide.

The goal of Meditation is essentially to clear the mind of untrained thoughts if only for a brief moment and to achieve calm and clarity. You do this by establishing control of thought which takes stepping back from it. Becoming master over where your mind sits requires concentration in a manner which is rarely established.

Think of your usual mental activity as a film playing on a screen, as the watcher you become entranced, moved by what you see, how it makes you feel. An untrained mind loves being carried and having fresh experience to distract. What meditation does is run counter to this, you ask your mind to focus, to sit on a point. You achieve clarity when you're not taken in by the film, you detach yourself from the process of being lead by the movie. You become aware & gain some control of how you feel. You can see the movie but you can think outside of the confines of it.

You kidding?
    It's not simply about stopping thought, it's about not allowing them to lead you if you've not called them to do so. It's about focusing and placing your mind onto the focus of your meditation. By keeping it there ever increasing amounts of time you begin to gain mental strength. Strength to start, stop, order and develop thoughts. With more strength comes more control, to the point you can step back in everyday situations which before proved difficult to handle clearly. Ones which could & often would, emotionally embroil someone who hasn't practised.

"Pff that dude in that mov... stop."
    "What should I eat ton... stop."
    "I wonder if I'm doing this ri... stop."
    "Yay, I'm not thi... stop."
    etc.
    Eventually it's just "What... stop.", "How... stop.", "Should I... stop." "If... stop.", you'll feel it slowing down.
    Every time Alex engages in a random thought he tracks it, realises its origin and he pins it. By labelling a thought like this you step back from it and detach yourself. The fact he gets sharper as the process continues shows his aptitutde towards the task is improving and his mind is being strengthened from the process.
    Last edited by Darren; 08-18-2013 at 21:57 PM.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    @Darren Let me put it this way: It feels as if the thoughts dissapear. Maybe they just 'stand still' or something. But I can literally stare at a wall and all that is in my mind is a picture of that wall as I'm seeing it at that moment. I lose myself in pure perception, without judgement.

I think that might be it, or at least one of the most important parts, no automatic judgements for a while. If you lose the preconceived notion of what something is, you can start seeing it in a different way. It will always be a perspective, but maybe one that is at least more towards reality. And if not, at least you can reframe your judgements to change your perspectives, affecting your attitudes, affecting your actions, etc. in a way that positively influences your life.

I think the 'losing judgement' part is close to your analogy of a movie. Your thoughts are no longer a result of what you perceive + what you've learned. You can actually change that last part.

Annnyyyywayyyy.... That "stopping your thoughts" method I posted does the trick for me
    Last edited by Alex E; 08-19-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Last Online
    04-25-2016 @ 09:56 AM
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210x in 799 Posts
    United Kingdom
    @Darren Let me put it this way: It feels as if the thoughts dissapear. Maybe they just 'stand still' or something. But I can literally stare at a wall and all that is in my mind is a picture of that wall as I'm seeing it at that moment. I lose myself in pure perception, without judgement.

I think that might be it, or at least one of the most important parts, no automatic judgements for a while. If you lose the preconceived notion of what something is, you can start seeing it in a different way. It will always be a perspective, but maybe one that is at least more towards reality. And if not, at least you can reframe your judgements to change your perspectives, affecting your attitudes, affecting your actions, etc. in a way that positively influences your life.
    I understand Alex & you're right in what you say.

My words were to offer another slant to readers of the thread.

You achieve objectivity, a break from subjective emotional embroilment. The mind finally gets a rest, not a distraction. You achieve choice, not just subversive reaction.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I understand Alex & you're right in what you say.

My words were to offer another slant to readers of the thread.

You achieve objectivity, a break from subjective emotional embroilment. The mind finally gets a rest, not a distraction. You achieve choice, not just subversive reaction.
    I always edit my posts a thousand times or so... I should really just wait a bit before posting with you guys, you're online very much

But yes, I understand that and I agree.