Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: The FL Studio Tips, Tricks and Questions Thread

Last Online
    06-28-2018 @ 12:44 PM
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 313x in 194 Posts
    Netherlands

The FL Studio Tips, Tricks and Questions Thread

I've got a question about FL Studio and thought it would be nice to have a general thread for all these questions regarding FL Studio and everthing related to it.

So we can use this to share tips like: 'Did you know that to add automation to a none FL Studio VST all you need to do is tweak that button you want to automate just a little bit and then go to 'Tools' in the upper-left corner of FL, select 'Last Tweaked' and click 'Create automation clip'. (maybe someone else even knows an easier way )

Now, regarding my question:

It's about the points in automation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLQ.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	9588

I want to have the exact same structure on the right side (where it's still straight line). The obvious thing for me to cutting the left side of the complete automation and pasting it to the right, but that wont do because the melody structure is a bit different on that 2nd half.
    The other thing is creating each point again one by one (and making the 2nd part slighty different). But that takes some time (not that much time in this case, but in other cases it would).

What I would like to know is if there's a way to copy those automation points to the right but where I can still tweak the right side without it affecting the left (so only coppying the points).

I'm not even sure If that's possible tbh

Feel free to ask or share anything if you got something
    Last edited by *Maickel* Tomorrow at 10:30 AM.

Out Of The Past - Mystery (MaickelJ Remix)

"u massacre music with your amateurism"

only finished shovel knight 8x

Last Online
    11-17-2013 @ 14:47 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Egypt
    thnx btw could you tell me what is this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	9599

Last Online
    02-16-2020 @ 19:19 PM
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 553x in 365 Posts
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by *Maickel* View Post
    So we can use this to share tips like: 'Did you know that to add automation to a none FL Studio VST all you need to do is tweak that button you want to automate just a little bit and then go to 'Tools' in the upper-left corner of FL, select 'Last Tweaked' and click 'Create automation clip'. (maybe someone else even knows an easier way )

Last Online
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by erickUO View Post
    [videyoutube;4wMQ9DGTOOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wMQ9DGTOOY]movie[/URL]
    Wow, that looks great. Now I just need to understand it. Thanks

Last Online
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatem Tarek View Post

That's actually one of the things I don't know. maybe someone else knows.

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 19:57 PM
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 874x in 597 Posts
    Austria
    Is this thread still alive?

Does anyone know if it's possible to copy a set of notes in the piano roll via drag&drop instead of strg+c?
    Saw how it works in logic and tried everything to make it work in FL the same way but it won't happen

"Here's the thing, kid: We don't get to choose how we start in this life.
    Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt."

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 22:09 PM
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 462x in 273 Posts
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Phael View Post
    Is this thread still alive?

Does anyone know if it's possible to copy a set of notes in the piano roll via drag&drop instead of strg+c?
    Saw how it works in logic and tried everything to make it work in FL the same way but it won't happen
    Press Shift and click on one of the notes u marked previously, then u can copy then via drag&drop

Last Online
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Austria
    Wtf I tried every combo before asking here and it didn't seem to work, are you sure about that?

Edit: tried again, doesn´t work :/
    Last edited by Phael; 01-02-2014 at 00:47 AM.

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 22:09 PM
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 462x in 273 Posts
    Germany
    well it surely works for me, i've always been copying notes like that... don't have a clue why it won't work for you :/

Last Online
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Works for mee too; select notes with ctrl+left mouse button and then use shift+left mouse button to copy them.
    You have to release shift in order to be able to drop the selected notes anywhere.

Didn't even know that untill now

Last Online
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Austria
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertz View Post
    well it surely works for me, i've always been copying notes like that... don't have a clue why it won't work for you :/
    Works for mee too; select notes with ctrl+left mouse button and then use shift+left mouse button to copy them.
    You have to release shift in order to be able to drop the selected notes anywhere.

Didn't even know that untill now
    haha, well i have to release shift like you said - it worked so far to be able to move notes to left/right but not in another scale
    thanks, that´s what i was looking for!

— Victor Sullivan

Last Online
    02-15-2014 @ 14:15 PM
    Florida, but moving to Illinois within the month.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6x in 4 Posts
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatem Tarek View Post

It is how channels can cut one another, or itself. I will post an excerpt from the FL Help Index. Don't worry, I literally only found out about this just under a week ago!

2. Cut / Cut By

Cut groups are arbitrary numbers used to identify Instrument Channels as belonging to a Cut or Cut by group. Cut groups are used so that an instrument channel can either silence other instrument channels when it plays (Cut) or be silenced by other instrument channels (be 'Cut by').

• Cut - The current channel will silence (cut) any activity in channels that have their Cut by set to this number.
    • Cut by - The current channel will be silenced (cut by) any activity that appears in channels with their Cut value set to this number.

Example: Of two channels, one has a open hi-hat sample and another a closed hi-hat sample. You want the closed hi-hat sound to stop (cut) the open sound, so that it sounds as if the hi-hat has slammed shut (open to closed hat sound).

1. Set the closed hi-hat Cut group (LCD on the left) to 1 (for example) and leave the Cut By group (LCD on the right) at the default "--" .
    2. Set the open hi-hat sound Cut by group to "1" and leave the Cut group to the default "--".

The open hi-hat is then listening for any activity on cut group 1 and if the open hi-hat channel hears activity on Cut group 1, it will stop playing. Alternatively activity on the open hi-hat channel won't affect the closed hi-hat channel since its Cut by value is set to none "--".
    Cut itself: This button causes a channel to cut itself by setting the Cut/Cut By values to the same number. FL Studio will do this automatically if you check the Cut Itself button (this can also be accessed by Right-clicking the channel button and selecting 'Cut itself' from the pop-up menu).
    NOTES:

1. Step Sequencer vs Piano roll - The Cut itself (Cut 1 By 1) feature will work with Stepsequence notes but does not work with Piano roll notes. You can, however, use Piano roll activity from one Channel to cut note activity in another using the Cut/Cut by feature.
    2. The release envelope - The Cut function works with the note data sent to the plugin (it is not an audio function like turning down a channel volume). 'Cut' sends an all-notes 'off' (release) command to the plugin on the channel so all playing notes jump to the release phase of their envelopes. If your instrument has long release envelopes, you will still hear the notes fading out after they have been cut.
    3. Cut/Cut by - Does not appear in the TS404 instrument (dry your eyes).
    This is my go to place when I have questions about the native instruments and functions of FL Studio.

... So we can use this to share tips like: 'Did you know that to add automation to a none FL Studio VST all you need to do is tweak that button you want to automate just a little bit and then go to 'Tools' in the upper-left corner of FL, select 'Last Tweaked' and click 'Create automation clip'. (maybe someone else even knows an easier way )
    I have tried this and doesn't work for me. Any and all knob tweaks and button tapping in a non-native VST does not show up in my history. Not a thing! Any suggestions?

Now, regarding my question:

It's about the points in automation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FLQ.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	9588

I want to have the exact same structure on the right side (where it's still straight line). The obvious thing for me to cutting the left side of the complete automation and pasting it to the right, but that wont do because the melody structure is a bit different on that 2nd half.
    The other thing is creating each point again one by one (and making the 2nd part slighty different). But that takes some time (not that much time in this case, but in other cases it would).

What I would like to know is if there's a way to copy those automation points to the right but where I can still tweak the right side without it affecting the left (so only coppying the points).

I'm not even sure If that's possible tbh

Feel free to ask or share anything if you got something
    Cut the automation exactly the length of the first part of the melody. Then paste that same automation for the 2nd part, but this time click the tab of the clip, and then select "Make Unique". It will copy the automation point for point and allow you to mold this clip without affecting the previous because they are now two different clips!
    7RANCE4LIFE

Last Online
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ Crzynss View Post
    I have tried this and doesn't work for me. Any and all knob tweaks and button tapping in a non-native VST does not show up in my history. Not a thing! Any suggestions?
    Which VST are you trying to do this with? I know that Omnisphere takes a different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Crzynss View Post
    Cut the automation exactly the length of the first part of the melody. Then paste that same automation for the 2nd part, but this time click the tab of the clip, and then select "Make Unique". It will copy the automation point for point and allow you to mold this clip without affecting the previous because they are now two different clips!
    Ohhhh.. that's how it works I know it from samples but never thought of using it for automation clips. Thanks!