Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years In The Life Of A Bedroom Trance Producer

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:16 PM
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158x in 807 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Ive just released an artist album which has the past 10 years of some of my original tracks,a long time in the making hehe.

Soundcloud Link :

Magdelayna - Anthology

01 Tabatha's Wish
    02 Mediterreania
    03 Glisten
    04 Operetta
    05 Hope Still In Your Heart
    06 Forever More
    07 Concerto
    08 Solar Nebular
    09 Rings Of Saturn
    10 Second Universe
    11 Hampton Road
    12 Back To The Stars
    13 Ferrybridge Symphony
    14 La Graciosa
    15 Kingdom Come
    16 We Lived A Lifetime
    17 Starlight Theory
    18 Dysnomia
    19 Accessing Your Memories
    20 Transcender
    21 Into The Blue
    22 One Last Thought
    23 Caught In Your Shadow
    24 Our Final Embrace
    25 We Will Rise Again

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Astral Point (03-30-2016), Marco1979 (01-30-2016)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Thread updated to include last year - and if anyone else wants to add their journey..

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:52 PM
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,498x in 1,853 Posts
    Serbia
    I've had so many musical phases, listened to a lot of genres... Now it's the time for y'all to hear my 'producer' side! Hmm, how shall I start?

Pre-2012

I was making some facepalmingly simple and dull rap beats in FL (don't know which year exactly, maybe '08), but I used it mostly for recording purposes (and after that I took a break from 'producing' for a while). As I was getting more and more into electronic music (mainly house) in 2010/2011, I started messing around in FL once again. Nothing serious came out of it, I watched 0 tutorials, didn't know a thing so most of the things I've learned back then I did learn by myself. Finally got into trance in the late 2011, when I discovered that house music just didn't do it for me, I needed something deeper.

As I got into trance more and more, I started watching some tutorials (Air Night's one). I watched half of it, and replicated everything the guy has done. Unfortunately, it didn't have a voice-over so I didn't know WHY was he doing those things but I still did learn a lot. After that, again no tutorials or anything. On 1st of August that year I made my first trance 'track' and sent it to a friend. He liked it! I was delighted with the response and from that point on, I remember producing more and more. To be honest, all of my productions contained a lot of presets, pre-made loops, and melodies from some MIDI packs (which were melodies from already-released trance tracks). Didn't know any better. The important thing is that I was getting better and better with producing and finding my own sound.

This year was big. I started experimenting more, making my own melodies, changing plugin presets, learned a lot more about EQ-ing, and FX plugins. The number of projects was increasing rapidly! One day, I woke up early, got inspired and wrote a track in just several hours! It's still not finished but it's close (because I just can't get around to do it). My sound was pretty influenced by Armin and ASOT sound overall.

Again, I was improving more and more each day, old-school M.I.K.E./Push sound had a larger and larger influence on me so I tried something in that direction. That year I had my first collab (with Halon - not finished yet), and it was big for me because I had to work on a sound much different than mine. As the year passed, I was influenced by '03-'06 trance in general, since that was mostly what I was listening to.

This was the biggest year so far. I finished my first ever production, and it was for the TF contest. I wasn't happy with the overall sound quality, but I plan on revisiting the project and uploading it. This year's major influence was Airwave. I started working with Maickel (also from this forum). We also had different sounds, but we were exchanging a lot of our projects and ideas. In Q3 of 2015, our first track together got finished, and we signed it (it's in my description). I am still delighted with the responses. Also worth mentioning is that I've started working with J2P (also a TF member), when Maickel introduced him to me. I am still working on a number of projects with the two of them and I'm really excited about them since one of them is the best work I've ever done.
    The collabs have helped me mature my sound and learn A LOT. I also started working in another way, which has improved my tracks immediately. I now have a few solo ideas which I'm really confident about.

Edit: I also ventured into scores and film music, but haven't finished anything.

So far, nothing significant has happened with my producing (well, not much different than it was in 2015), but on 4th February I'm having my first track with Maickel released! Hopefully there'll be one or two this year, but we'll see.

Edit (10th August 2017):

In 2016, nothing significant has happened, release-wise, but I had a few exciting projects, some of which I'm (or at least should be) developing, into a release material, both solo and in collaborations. I've met a few people from here, exchanged projects with them, but so far nothing yet.

The exciting thing is that I've, with help of others, organized a remix competition here for my track, as you remember. We got some good remixes, which were later released.

It saw my rise of interest in synthwave and electronic music, ambient stuff etc. But I still mainly make trance, I am also trying a bit of minimal techno, progressive and whatever else. But all of that I'm not really experienced to make, hopefully I'll learn it along the way.

The trance projects I make are pretty OK when I'm able to make something out of them. I'm still finding my sound, being inspired by stuff here and there, but the sad truth is I'm still not able to finish something on my own. Because I usually don't. And I need to, but the thing is every track I'm able to develop at least a little bit, I don't want to 'ruin' by my bad compressing etc.

My highlight of this year so far is, after being mentally tired of coding for college for days without doing basically anything else, and after I've submitted the last of the assignments, I turned my FL Studio and emotionally discharged - completely! Wrote a melody I absolutely love, and although it needs some more progression or some counter-melodies, I'm sure I'll finish it someday. So far I'm aiming for a dark(er) intro with some hints of bliss, and then a really blissful intro and a "lose-yourself" climax, really euphoric. We'll see how it develops, though.

Aside from that one, I have a few that need some more work, but IMO are release-material. But then again, that's what I thought 2 years ago...
    Last edited by Gagi; 08-10-2017 at 23:32 PM.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (01-30-2016)

Last Online
    10-31-2016 @ 22:01 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2x in 1 Post
    United Kingdom
    Hi folks, my first post on this forum, looks like a promising place! Been reading through these stories, sounds like you guys are slowly getting there! My story isn't one of success, more like a way of not doing things!!

Started listening to trance back in 2007 and decided to try production myself a short time after, in January 2008. At the time I didn't know anything about music and so i've had a pretty steep learning curve. After a couple of years of messing around and learning I decided I wanted to do this properly, taking things further. In 2010 I managed to bluff my way on to a production degree at a music college. I never met anyone who liked trance there, and so I never had a production buddy to make stuff with. Alongside that, the college only had Apple Mac computers with Logic/Pro Tools (I had a windows laptop, FL Studio) so I had to learn everything and apply it to my software (useful for grasping concepts, but pants for collaborating / showing tutors your work on software they don't know!) Nevertheless, I managed to complete an honours degree in music production in 2013.

Fast forward 3 years and here I am! I finished college and ended up going full time in a call centre (worked there part-time as a student). In my spare time I try and produce/learn as much as possible, but never get the results I want. In the 9 years i've been doing this I still can't make a tune that I feel is label worthy. I made a couple of tracks at college that I was proud of, but my standards are high (and so they should be, if I want to make pro stuff) and so I refrain from putting amateurish things out there. I find it disappointing and a little puzzling that after so long I still haven't managed to release anything, let alone get a gig. As a one man band with limited time on my hands it feels like an upward battle!

Not so much a rant or a plea for help, more along the lines of spend your time wisely and pick a career carefully! Know when to call things a day, or else you'll end up like me; I'm 27 now and feel no further on than at 19, other than the £20,000 debt I have now accrued! I was always a clever kid, technically minded. I should have chosen IT or something, watching people and life pass you by is no fun!

Regards,

Andy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy999 For This Useful Post:

Gagi (03-29-2016), Magdelayna (04-30-2016)

Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 04:16 AM
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    Don't have very much to say yet, as I started producing a year ago. However, this year I plan to get a track signed for the first time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Point For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (04-30-2016)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Just realised this week that its exactly TEN years ago since my FIRST ever release! Time flies....here is the incredible Timefactor remix of the track :

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Halon (10-08-2016)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    I have a big feeling Russia is such an untapped market for Trance - such a big place aswell.

Was reading and trying to translate some comments about my tracks on this site,never seen them before :

http://freake.ru/music/artist/magdelayna

@Gagi - are you on this site?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    I have a big feeling Russia is such an untapped market for Trance - such a big place aswell.

Was reading and trying to translate some comments about my tracks on this site,never seen them before :

http://freake.ru/music/artist/magdelayna

@Gagi - are you on this site?
    Nah man, I am not Russian and I don't know the language, contrary to popular belief. But yeah, Russia and South America are really big markets for trance, in my opinion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (12-27-2016)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Now updated this with last years events.

And a bump if anyone wants to add theres...

Last Online
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Now updated this with last years events.

And a bump if anyone wants to add theres...
    Updated mine for the latest year and a half. This thread seems like your own producer diary. I love the idea of that!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    Updated mine for the latest year and a half. This thread seems like your own producer diary. I love the idea of that!
    pahaha,yeah turning out that way! But its great to hear other stories.

This happened last weekend - my 10th anniversary of my radio show. I cant believe ive been doing it every month for a decade! A real landmark for me...

I celebrated it with a 3 hour set below - with some of my favourite tracks form the last 10 years.

01 Magdelayna vs. RMG - Back To The Stars (Magdelayna's Original Chilldown Mix)
    02 Chris Lake feat. Emma Hewitt - Carry Me Away
    03 Cary Brothers - Ride (Tiesto Remix)
    04 Lange - Out Of The Sky (Kyau & Albert Mix)
    05 Airbase feat. Floria Ambra - Denial
    06 First State feat. Sarah Howells - Reverie (Dash Berlin Remix)
    07 Betsie Larkin & Solarstone - Breathe You In (Solarstone Pure Mix)
    08 Alex M.O.R.P.H. feat. Sylvia Tosun - An Angel's Love (Vocal Mix)
    09 Mesmerized - Clear For Landing
    10 Daniel Kandi & Robert Nickson - Liberate
    11 Craig Connelly & Christina Novelli - Black Hole (Jorn van Deynhoven Mix)
    12 Mark Otten vs. Carrie Skipper - Time Is Serene (Armin van Buuren Mashup)
    13 RAM - RAMsterdam (Jorn van Deynhoven Remix)
    14 Simon O'Shine - Your Distant World
    15 Gareth Emery feat. Bo Bruce - U (Bryan Kearney Remix)
    16 Christina Novelli & Roman Messer - Frozen (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix)
    17 Airbase - Lucid (Ronny K Remix)
    18 Will Atkinson & Deirdre McLaughlin - Chasing After You
    19 Ahmed Atef - From A Heart
    20 Solarstone With Aly & Fila - Fireisland (Aly & Fila Uplifting Mix)
    21 Sash! feat. Tina Cousins - Mysterious Times (Touchstone Remix)
    22 Andain - What It's Like (Sneijder Remix)
    23 Will Atkinson - Numb The Pain
    24 Aly & Fila with Jaren - For All Time
    25 A & Z vs. Flynn & Denton - Scota
    26 Vengeance - Temptation (Denga & Manus Remix)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    What a great start to 2018! My chilled remake of 'Alex Blest - Fragments Of Bliss' is included on Chicane's new compilation CD 'Sunsets 2018' released tomorrow on Armada!

A huge honour for a legend of the scene and one of my favourite producers ever, to recognise my sound.

Here is Armin in disbelief that i actually have a track on a physical release.

Track in question : (originally released on Defcon Recordings).

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Gagi (01-20-2018), Marco1979 (02-03-2018), Tievb21 (03-17-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Actual physical release! Makes all that effort in the bedroom worth while..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Gagi (02-16-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    The bedroom producer is going outside

Hope to see some of you there!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (03-15-2018), PegaSus (03-17-2018), Spider-Vice (03-16-2018), Thijs (03-17-2018)

Last Online
    02-16-2020 @ 17:35 PM
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 677x in 514 Posts
    Belgium
    The bedroom producer is going outside

Hope to see some of you there!