Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: Why are many of the Trance Producers selling out their Genre ?

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 01:48 AM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 14x in 9 Posts
    South Africa

Why are many of the Trance Producers selling out their Genre ?

I've just come home from a "Above & Beyond" concert, and I feel rather disappointed. I live in South Africa and have been a fan of A&B; Tranquility Base; Oceanlab, and all their other aliases, for more than 10 years now. Due to the fact that I live in the sticks, the opportunity to see these guys live doesn't come very often. But after listen to their set tonight, I feel that these guys have sold out their Genre, or maybe sub-genre. Over the years, Above & Beyond have produced Uplifting & Progressive Trance, which is what I fancy. But after I, & many others, have been long time fans, it seems that Above & Beyond have taken a complete different direction in their work. They seemed to be producing, and playing far more commercial stuff. I know that this is not a recent occurrence. 2009 was when they seemed to change their sound. Now their work sounds like Tech-Trance or Progressive House.......in fact, I don't even know what their new stuff is classified as. All I know is that its very far from what put them on the map. Most of the tracks on their new Album are 127-128 bpm, whereas their older, more uplifting stuff was 138-140 bpm. But its not really the change in bpm that bugs me. Its the fact that they, like many other Djs, have sold out. Tiesto is an extreme example of another Trance producer, who did something similar. But many other guys seem to be going the more commercial route. My question is, why ? Do many of these Producers get tired of producing certain kinds of tracks, or are they trying to make music that is more relateable to a wider range of EDM fans ?

Last Online
    08-28-2018 @ 18:03 PM
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 22x in 20 Posts
    Canada
    srs bsns is srs money in the bank!... lol back in my day we were picked on for our musical tastes, now we are rock stars and some of us are making millions. and thats why a number of artists sellout.

Last Online
    01-14-2020 @ 10:33 AM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,376 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    srs bsns is srs money in the bank!... lol back in my day we were picked on for our musical tastes, now we are rock stars and some of us are making millions. and thats why a number of artists sellout.
    Calgar C, is that you?
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Last Online
    06-10-2019 @ 10:18 AM
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 677x in 514 Posts
    Netherlands
    It's all about the money. Understandable a bit, but also a 'big fuck you' to the fans/followers who supported them from the beginning. Also known as trancepurists nowadays.
    So my respect is to artists like Airwave, JooF etc. who are making music because they simple love trancemusic.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:48 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Alright, we shouldn't jump to conclusions already.

Yes, there are some examples where the intention is CLEARLY the money and stardom, so this is just a disclaimer, I won't generalize everything. So, here it goes...

Firstly, maybe they enjoy that type of music, I mean, a lot of people do nowadays. Is that so hard to imagine?

Secondly: It may be about the money, but what isn't? Don't you think that some simply lost the love and passion they had? You can not do something your whole life and still love it, it's rare I think. Most people just lose it with age, look at the rappers, when young all they rap about is bitches and hoes, but as they get older, their songs are slower, they lost the energy.

Not to add the fact that us (trance fans) are no saints. Think about it, someone produces trance (what he loves, that is), and then gets smashed by the fans who have thousand complaints ("He was better before", "He should've better done this/that" etc). Instead, in the commercial waters, not everyone takes music as serious as maybe we do and doesn't pay attention to it as much, so they just enjoy it and praise it. Superficial, but not unjustified.

And here goes the money thing. How much money you needed when you were 20-25? Not much, you were on your own, you needed it for some food, and the bonus was clothes, alcohol, clubbing etc, so you could just earn that by spinning some shit in local clubs on weekends. You probably had something/everything paid by your parents. Imagine the situation that you are 35+ all of a sudden, and you make small/no money from selling your music, you don't rock the BeatPort charts (in the unpopular and unprofitable genre as trance generally is), you aren't in DJMag's Top 100 (it matters only in not getting booked, that's why I mention it), you rarely get booked and you don't get a lot of money for it either. Oh, and you have a wife, your own place (mortgage) and probably even kids. You may come to conclusion that being financially stable and not having to depend on whether you'll get booked or not is probably worth the sacrifice of the thing you love (and you are more and more being picked on by fans for not pleasing their precious tastes).

Don't get me wrong though, I have ALL the respect for the people that stuck with the genre even if it meant having to make ends meet (Airwave often says that it's the case with him). For that, they will remain the true legends of trance.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    08-17-2015 @ 16:51 PM
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 655x in 451 Posts
    Poland
    Selling out THEIR genre? I don't understand, how come one is attached to one genre only? Professional music producers would find this statement silly.

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 01:48 AM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 14x in 9 Posts
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by asteski View Post
    Selling out THEIR genre? I don't understand, how come one is attached to one genre only? Professional music producers would find this statement silly.
    When I said "their genre", I was referring to the sub-genre, which Above & Beyond were known for between 2000-2009. Many other producers also specialized mainly in one genre. But these guys have kind of ditched both the genre and the sub-genre. If they were to produce tracks which were mainly not of their previously favored genre, but occasionally still produce a couple of Trance tracks under a different alias, then that would be fine. For example, A&B could still release a few Uplifting/Progressive Trance tracks under the alias: Tranquility Base. But they seemed to have completely given up on their old ways. I seriously don't mind if a DJ broadens his horizon, in terms of the kind a music he produces. Trance producers can by all means experiment with some Progressive House; Electro House; Big-Room(*vomits) etc etc. But its rather sad when they completely forget their roots, never again to release the good old stuff.

Last Online
    08-28-2018 @ 18:03 PM
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 22x in 20 Posts
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    Calgar C, is that you?
    yes this is me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to calgarc For This Useful Post:

Halon (07-11-2015)

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 844x in 586 Posts
    Mexico
    You could have made this same argument about the same producers since 2009/2010...

Last Online
    07-27-2015 @ 01:27 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 80x in 59 Posts
    Portugal
    Above & Beyond changed the whole Anjuna catalogue but they did that because they were already repeating themselves too much by that time, i'm not a big fan of their new ''Trance 2.0.'' releases but they sometimes have some real quality tunes like Grum's Trine EP, for example but i can't really say they sold out because if they did they would be playing onboxious stuff like Heatbeat, MarLo, Mark Sixma, Jorn van Deynhoven, etc., now, that's selling-out, in my opinion.

Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 04:59 AM
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 131x in 97 Posts
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JTTrance2011 View Post
    Above & Beyond changed the whole Anjuna catalogue but they did that because they were already repeating themselves too much by that time, i'm not a big fan of their new ''Trance 2.0.'' releases but they sometimes have some real quality tunes like Grum's Trine EP, for example but i can't really say they sold out because if they did they would be playing onboxious stuff like Heatbeat, MarLo, Mark Sixma, Jorn van Deynhoven, etc., now, that's selling-out, in my opinion.
    Have to disagree on some points. it's true that A&B doesn't play tracks from those artists. but that's basically because these are Armada Artists. They play tracks from their own Anjuna artists, which i think are similar
    "What happnd to music with emotions?"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkRyder For This Useful Post:

MrVrhgyiB (07-15-2015)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 80x in 59 Posts
    Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRyder View Post
    Have to disagree on some points. it's true that A&B doesn't play tracks from those artists. but that's basically because these are Armada Artists. They play tracks from their own Anjuna artists, which i think are similar
    it depends on what you call similar, do you consider something like this:

the same or similar to this:

Last edited by JTTrance2011; 07-15-2015 at 00:31 AM.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:52 PM
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283x in 1,587 Posts
    Sweden
    it depends on what you call similar, do you consider something like this:
    cherrypicking much?
    #Sicknessesintheair

Say no to STEROIDS.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

MrVrhgyiB (07-15-2015)

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 844x in 586 Posts
    Mexico
    Heatbeat - It's Killing Me
    At first I thought "wow, that's a WICKED track. thanks for sharing"
    then: "whoa, waaaaait a second"
    then it hit me:

Last Online
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 80x in 59 Posts
    Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    cherrypicking much?
    so, you consider me a cherrypicker?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    At first I thought "wow, that's a WICKED track. thanks for sharing"
    then: "whoa, waaaaait a second"
    then it hit me:
    [videyoutube;_uAatrx9cGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uAatrx9cGg]movie[/URL]
    wow, i didn't know this, thanks for sharing, now, that's a very wicked track indeed.