Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970
Results 1,036 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: What's on your mind today? - Part 6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 18:25 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    I have a lot I could say about travelling like this, but will just mention one for now. The idea of the travel 'dream' is a complicated one. It is real to an extent, but also will not provide a form of escape from the baggage you carry in your everyday life at home. You bring that stuff with you and I probably deal with as much issues here as I did back at home. It can be viewed as this perfect lifestyle but its not so simple. However I have broken out of a routine that defines the majority of peoples lives and on top of that I get new experiences, perspectives, cultures and environments etc and it is fantastic. Travelling at 18 changed my life and over a decade later I'm sure this one will as well. Could not recommend it enough. I saved roughly 1 year for the trip.

Heres some of my photos (I post one per place I visit) - https://www.instagram.com/the.legit.hensmon/
    I agree, and I didn't mean "dream" as in everything is perfect once you travel somewhere. For a week or two, it might provide an escape, but if it's more you can't delay, put a hold on or not think about issues you left back home - let alone the issues you encounter while you're there. Travelling for a year is also difficult if you have lots of family back home etc. But on the other hand, if the trip is worth it, you just push through.

By 'dream', I only meant I want to see as much of the world as you are now seeing.

Just look at your Instagram profile, some beautiful photos there. How long until the end of your trip?
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 18:03 PM
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288x in 1,584 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    By 'dream', I only meant I want to see as much of the world as you are now seeing.
    I get you. If im honest the concept and idea behind a 'dream life' is how I felt towards this trip. I certainly remember my 6 month trip at 18 in this regards but this time I have more money, time and commitment to do cool things i.e mountain biking, rock climbing, skydiving etc rather than just smoking weed and chasing girls which was 80% of my last trip. On paper it is the dream... no work, no commute, just fun, new lands and outdoors exercise...but yeah...it is hard work for sure at times...very tiring and if you're used to routine in certain aspects in your life it can be hard. I for example struggle with not being able to be disciplined with my food/diet as well as not being able to train at a gym. Health is important for me in my life right now and it's hard not working on it in the way I did at home.

I'll finish my trip next January... if my money and resolve lasts)!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (06-25-2019), Gagi (06-24-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:50 PM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 160x in 125 Posts
    Bulgaria
    Who do you want to be? (opportunity cost and online habits)

The definition of opportunity cost: A benefit, profit, or value of something that must be given up to acquire or achieve something else. Since every resource (land, money, time, etc.) can be put to alternative uses, every action, choice, or decision has an associated opportunity cost.

Ok, so I'm not sharing this because I think that it's some groundbreaking concept. It is common sense and deep down people know about it. However, most people seem to not think in terms of opportunity cost, especially when something is free. As most of our online habits are free, there is no direct economic cost, however, in the long run, the cost is (maybe) a more fulfilled, healthier and happier version of yourself.

So why am I writing this? There are two reasons.

• We have access to so much information and entertainment now that it is simply impossible to keep up with everything that you find interesting. Therefor, it is important to learn how to prioritize. That something adds value to your life simply isn't a good enough reason to keep using a certain service or continuing with a certain habit in 2019. I see a lot of people who say that they want to give up sites like Reddit, youtube and other social media. However, before they even tried to give it up, they are arguing themselves back into the habit by claiming that it adds value to their lives. It might be true, and people might have valid reasons to continue to use these sites and services. Nevertheless, my point is, continuing with a habit just because it adds some value to your life isn't a good enough reason to continue using a certain service in 2019. We need to learn how to say no and prioritize. Going after everything that you find interesting or valuable, will probably eventually leave you with nothing (or at least not much) of real value.
    • A lot of people who come here because they have recognized that their habits aren't taking them in the direction that they would want to are asking "If I'm not online, what should I do?!" or "I don't know what to do if I should quit reddit", or something along those lines. Another question people are asking is "What can I do instead that is more productive?" Doing random offline activities while you are in the beginning stages of kicking your internet addiction is fine, but asking yourself who you want to be and how you would like your life to be is much better.

People often seem to really hate to recognize that their habits really shape who they are and what their lives look like. But as they say, you become what you eat. You often become your habits as well. No one can tell you what the right lifestyle is for you. But we need to become more aware of how our habits shapes our lives LONG TERM, not just what value we get out if them in the moment.

If you spend your days browsing reddit and watching youtube you will become the person who spends a lot of time on youtube and reddit, and therefor knows whats going on online. If you spend your days following politics and arguing angrily about it on reddit and social media, you will most likely become the angry person who knows a lot about whats going on in politics.. If you spend time going to get gym, jogging, doing other outdoor activities and reading books about meditation and healthy food you will become an entirely different person.

Remember that everything has a cost, make sure you don't sacrifice the entire life you want to live for some short term value.
    https://www.reddit.com/user/The_Angry_Lunchbox/

Really thoughtful observation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner_ For This Useful Post:

Gagi (06-25-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 18:25 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner_ View Post
    Again, this really resonates with me as my habits regarding social media again took a turn for the worse. It's more than under control when I have a lot of stuff to do, but when I don't (as has been the case in the past few days), I just automatically turn to social media in absence of anything concrete and of high priority on my to-do list. I still think it doesn't have any negative effect on my productivity, but there are far better things to do even in a minute or two that takes me to scroll through Instagram and in a few minutes spent on YouTube. Will have to do something to get it under control, or at least ease the transition towards reducing social media consumption.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (06-25-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Bulgaria

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 18:03 PM
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288x in 1,584 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Today I sandboard on some of the worlds biggest sand dunes...fuck yeah!

Last Online
    07-27-2019 @ 01:00 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 32x in 20 Posts
    United States
    Awesome design wall clock for totally unreasonable price of $220. Or maybe I'm wrong and they really worth it.
    The name "Extra Normal Wall Clock" reminds me the lyrics from the track by Jon Lajoie - Everyday Normal Guy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IC-EXCL-WB.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	18880
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black wall clock.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	18881

Last Online
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Bulgaria
    “To see and feel one's beloved naked for the first time is one of life's pure, irreducible epiphanies. If there is a true religion in the universe, it must include that truth of contact or be forever hollow. To make love to the one true person who deserves that love is one of the few absolute rewards of being a human being, balancing all of the pain, loss, awkwardness, loneliness, idiocy, compromise, and clumsiness that go with the human condition. To make love to the right person makes up for a lot of mistakes.”
    Dan Simmons, The Rise of Endymion

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner_ For This Useful Post:

Gagi (07-31-2019)

Last Online
    01-14-2020 @ 10:33 AM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,376 Posts
    Norway