Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: OverKill on Effects

Last Online
    04-29-2016 @ 14:16 PM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 74x in 57 Posts
    United Kingdom

OverKill on Effects

Im really taken back by this.

Ok my Production Unregistered Feelings had 4 effects on each instrument on the Mixer, Limiter, Compressor, Reverb2 and Parametric EQ. I used on the Master Soft Clipper too. For some of the instruments I used GrossBeat too.

So what have I learned from my latest production.

By just using Limiter and using the functions on that by playing around with it, I have not needed the other effects.

Theres more Volumn in this production whereas the volumn in the previous was very squashed.

Can too much effects on a production cause more harm to the end product. Is sometimes using less getting more?

Have you noticed this when you make your tracks?
    If im in the Studio - Please dont knock I wont be able to hear you!

Last Online
    01-12-2020 @ 00:31 AM
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275x in 1,597 Posts
    Netherlands
    Yep, in general I don't use compressors and limiters on individual channels as it kills the dynamics too much. Sometimes I use a subtle compressor on the bassdrum, or I use the compressor on the bass and use it as a sidechain with the bassdrum as source.

Usually I put some maximizing/limiting plugins on the master channel, but only very subtle (a couple of db's) as most of the mixing comes from the individual channels. Imho mastering is a little overrated nowadays.

Each channel gets a good EQ treatment, which is one of the most important things in mixing for me. I basicly don't use delay or reverb on solo channels, only if they REALLY need it for the mix. For example my claps get reverb to create more room.

For delays, I usually make one return track which causes that all individual connected channels have the same delay = same environment. Mostly this FX channel contains three or four FX units, eventually including a reverb to create some more room in the effect. But yeah, that really depends on the track that I write.
    Happiness is everywhere, but it's never complete...