Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: (new version) Trying out some homemade sounds here. Any comments please?

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 19:02 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts
    Norway

(new version) Trying out some homemade sounds here. Any comments please?

Hello dudes. So a while back I posted a track of mine and asked for some feedback from the pure and the humble on this forum. I got a lot of good tips - thanks again - and so I crawled back into the cave which I once emerged from, starting a new project and have built up a song in a completely new manner (to me, that is.)

I am using Reason as my choise of DAW. And that gives me the opportunity to create my own drum samples, synths, effects etcetera. I am, to say the least, very curious to what this sounds like to experienced producers who actually knows what they are doing. I put together a little demo tune that sounds pretty outdated *erh* classic. No housey stuff this time. Also, it is clearly lacking effects and the buildup makes it easy to hear most of the separate sounds one at the time.

What I've done so far is:
    - Grouping things together before it goes to the mixer. That means the beat and basses are one group, the mid-sounds are one, and finally all treble like hihats and sharp layers are one group aswell. Each group has its own mixer, and then finally the three groups goes to the main mixer as three channels only.

- Gone crazy and run 2 basslines together. One has a lot of chorus, the other is tight.

- Turned off ALL compression and the like, you can easily see this on the soundcloud graph.

- Picked up a melody which I cannot remember what is, this is a song I have heard somewhere though. (anyone?) This is for trying out different chords and see if something crashes at different pitch. Especially the basslines.

Where I want to go with this:
    - Getting the mix to sound right. What is too loud, what needs to be EQ'ed, are my drums terrible?

- Testing other samples maybe, just replacing the existing and see what happens. I would very much like to know about a good pack of drum samples.

- Any suggestions for the basslines and synths. I can display in detail how it is made if anyone asks.

Thank you so much people!!
    Last edited by deafpk; 06-06-2016 at 19:28 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 13:15 PM
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149x in 798 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Hey - i like that main melody,reminds me of something but cant quite put my finger on it. The whole thing sounds a bit muffled to me,what does your main EQ look like? I would change your kick to a more punchier,cleaner one - maybe layer another one over the bassy one you have - but reduce the low end freqs at the same time,the kick is a little too bassy. The clap could do with being made a bit brighter imo aswell. For that bassline,i would increase the high end EQ,get it more in a 'space'.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts
    Norway
    So I take it I should have a main EQ, huh. I will definitely add that and see if I can raise the high end some. But first I will try to edit the kick like you say.

By getting the bassline more into a 'space', do you mean like let it have its own frequency range? Or more like widening up the stereo effect of it all? I saw a guy on youtube once who warned about widening bass (in general) any much.

But thanks a lot for your time, man. Really

Last Online
    Today @ 13:24 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    I like this effort, it's nice, and, yeah, classic-sounding. I think the hi-hats don't match with the kick (they are too sharp and bright), but I like the darkness of the kick and clap. The basses are great! What I suggest now is to build on what you have and make the whole track - add the elements you yourself know are missing.

About the sound quality... Well, I don't have a high-tech equipment so can't really be the judge.

You could just layer another kick on top as Magdelayna said, I found Airwave's tutorial from 2002(!!!) on how to do so. I've been doing that for some time if I'm not satisfied with only one sample.

If you're too afraid that that melody reminds you of an existing track, just add some variation within the notes - it's arpeggiated so it shouldn't be hard; you can change the progression.

--------

Now I'm not a pro on this so don't take everything I said for granted. I also rarely finish a track, but that's more due to the lack of ideas and a final touch. I also come up with new stuff so I forget about the others.

I separate everything on the mixer when I'm mixing the track. Well, almost everything, I send all the hi-hats that play at the same time to the single mixer channel, I do that with claps and probably nothing more. Every sound is different.

I'll treat most sounds individually, then I'll export every separate mixer channel to audio (because my CPU isn't that powerful). Now that every sound has been treated individually and the whole mixdown is complete, I can send all the drums to a single channel in order to do some small EQ-ing and compressing and such. That goes the same with basses leads and pads, FX...

I believe that the more different sounds you have on a single mixer channel - the smaller changes you should make. For me it goes individually, then making a few separate groups (maybe a few times, lessening the number of groups), then just one final audio, ready for mastering.

Now, this being quite a classic-sounding track, you don't have to follow the rules that much. There was probably less EQ-ing, compressing etc back then, now everything has to sound as tight and as loud as possible in order to work in clubs.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

deafpk (05-27-2016)

Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 04:16 AM
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    I like the main melody and the synth, reminds me the early 2000

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Point For This Useful Post:

deafpk (05-27-2016)

Last Online
    01-12-2020 @ 00:31 AM
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275x in 1,597 Posts
    Netherlands
    Much has been said already. Mostly I agree to Magdaleyna's comment about the muffled sound.

Don't, but really never, try to fix that with the end EQ in the mixing phase because the result will be waaaaay cleaner when doing it on the individual channels. Most likely you will be able to create some more headroom as well which allows you to master your track a little louder as well.

Aside of that, I think the mix of this production is pretty simplistic. There are not so many things and layers are happening in the background to create a deep and wealthy atmosphere in your mix..... and yeah, I noticed that choir under your lead.

Overall, try to empower your mix. Try to use a similar track as a reference for your mix. For example Unknown Source's Nadjanema. Even while it was mixed more than a decade ago, I feel that you could use it. What I miss in your mix is the real "in your face" sound. Mostly it's not there because the frequencies that cause the muffled sound eat too much space. But for example, I do believe your lead sound could use a lot more gain (and probably some delay effect)

Ohh, I also feel you could use this little tutorial on mixing
    Last edited by Thijs; 05-23-2016 at 00:34 AM.
    Happiness is everywhere, but it's never complete...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Thijs For This Useful Post:

deafpk (05-27-2016)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts
    Norway
    Thank you guys for all your comments. I haven't had time to do anything yet - hopefully I can get do try some of these things during the weekend. The mix is not very complicated, I know, this is more of an experiment to find a good basis for further production. I really want a good batch of drums samples and some nice synths that all fit together and use it as a creative sandbox.

Again, thanks, you guys are gold

Last Online
    01-14-2020 @ 10:33 AM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,376 Posts
    Norway
    I actually like the kick. 909? I love those. Lower the volume a bit, and eq it. The kick and bass should be at the same volume. Also do some eq-ing, around 40 hz. The supersaw riff needs to be louder. The hats are fine. Maybe a bit of eq on them, roll off about 200 hz or something, and maybe add some reverb to add some space. The rolling bass needs a bit more sub i guess, and make it a bit louder. Boost it around 60 hz. Roll off with a shelf eq or cut eq so the kick and bass dont overlap.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3x in 3 Posts
    Norway
    Okay, thanks Halon. The bassdrum is made with two 'drum designer' modules in Reason's Kong drum machine. I have now altered it a little bit. If this is successful, I am willing to share any of the samples I've made through this process.

Back to the track - I have tried to follow all your great advice now, and here is an update:

Maybe I've overdone stuff, I mean like the high end is maybe a little too pushy.. Hope you guys can tell
    Last edited by deafpk; 06-06-2016 at 20:39 PM.