Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Why are Trance tracks getting so short?

  1. #1
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom

    Why are Trance tracks getting so short?

    Take for example 'Darren Porter - To Feel Again' ...one of the best tracks of the year so far,but the 'Extended Mix' is 6:43 and feels like it starts 2 minutes into a full length version. Same goes for Dimension tracks. Whats the reason for making them so short?

    It means as a DJ you have to do a really fast mix into them,and cant do a slower more gradual transition. Tracks should be around 8 minutes at least imo. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Daysleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 11:25 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    6,196
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 2,216x in 1,544 Posts
    Sweden
    7 min isnt too short. Its all about content. Not lenght. All judged from a listeners perspective.
    #Sicknessesintheair

    Say no to STEROIDS.






  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 18:41 PM
    Location
    Slovenia
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Posts
    1,446
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 816x in 486 Posts
    Slovenia
    Well I kinda agree, especially from a DJ's perspective. I like being able to make gradual transitions.

    However, I don't think tracks are getting shorter. There's definitely less longer tunes than in the past, but short tracks have always been there. Especially the early - mid 90s trance had tons of tracks in the range of 5-6 minutes.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rok For This Useful Post:

    Hensmon (05-31-2016)

  5. #4
    Lanto.Trance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:19 AM
    Location
    Quang Ninh, Viet Nam
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 42x in 35 Posts
    Vietnam
    Because now is the epoch of SmartPhone, FastLife, Facebook bro. Now people need all shorty, and short tracks for mixing.

    Anyway, here is 2016, not 2009 bro.

  6. #5
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Well i dont agree the actual producer wants to make tracks that short with no real progression...it must be the labels. Their nearly as short as the old Trance single radio edits now.

  7. #6
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rok View Post
    Well I kinda agree, especially from a DJ's perspective. I like being able to make gradual transitions.

    However, I don't think tracks are getting shorter. There's definitely less longer tunes than in the past, but short tracks have always been there. Especially the early - mid 90s trance had tons of tracks in the range of 5-6 minutes.
    those 5 minute tracks were the really cheesy ones you found on Trancemaster.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    09-11-2019 @ 18:41 PM
    Location
    Slovenia
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Posts
    1,446
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 816x in 486 Posts
    Slovenia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    those 5 minute tracks were the really cheesy ones you found on Trancemaster.
    Well obviously I don't have those in mind :











    Don't get me wrong, I prefer longer tracks as well (though it's also obvious what Daysleeper said that content matters and not length) and I DO think there are way less of those nowadays. I'm just saying that short tracks have always been there.
    Last edited by Rok; 05-28-2016 at 13:15 PM.

  9. #8
    Astral Point's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 03:16 AM
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Gender
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanto.Trance View Post
    Because now is the epoch of SmartPhone, FastLife, Facebook bro. Now people need all shorty, and short tracks for mixing.

    Anyway, here is 2016, not 2009 bro.
    I agree that people need tracks to be short. I personally only listen to Original/Extended Mixes, and all my friends don't understand why, they say that it's too long and boring, and then that Trance sucks. How disappointing.

  10. #9
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom
    I suppose this is more of an issue for DJs - regular listeners wont be bothered.

    But with tracks under 7 minutes youre getting melodic elements coming in very fast,lets say 30 seconds in,which doesnt let you do a nice gradual transition in - you have to fade the previous track out pretty quickly. I checked previous years top tracks,and they definatly werent as short.

    As i said, i think this is down to labels demands. Ive had a label wanting me to cut a track down when i didnt really want to.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (05-29-2016)

  12. #10
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    08-24-2019 @ 17:46 PM
    Location
    Calgary
    Gender
    Posts
    2,009
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,575
    Thanked 944x in 581 Posts
    Canada
    Yeah, whatever label demands are behind compressing trance tracks down to less than seven minutes are really saddening. IMO seven minutes is about the best minimum trance should adhere to - the best trance tracks aren't afraid to really explore their ideas and stretch them past the 9 and 10 minute mark. Where are the club mixes like TiŽsto's 11:35 remix of silence? Or his other long-playing classics like Suburban Train and Magikal Circus? What about Armin's 11:29 UR remix of Aria's Dido?? Or As the Rush Comes? Beautiful Things? L-Vee's classics like Ladyblue, Alone in the Dark and the old Planisphere tracks (like the 15 minute long "O"?) And a whole host of others??

    I guess the primary culprit is the shorter attention shared by a lot of modern, big-name EDM. You usually don't see a BP top ten track clocking more than seven minutes, even if some of the deep house that shows up there can be occasionally incredible. So trance has followed suit. Thankfully I feel like Black Hole's trancier labels are avoiding it, but it's still pretty rare to see tracks on the prominent labels breaking the 8.5-minute mark. In any case, I want to see more long-players. Trance is all about the journey, of course - and when you structure and develop that journey right then even 10 min+ tracks remain interesting throughout. I want to see more producers take up that challenge - at least, I know I want to try



    Facebook / SoundCloud / Bandcamp

    Head in the stars, heart in the sound

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    Magdelayna (05-28-2016)

  14. #11
    Maratone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 19:28 PM
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 80x in 74 Posts
    Denmark
    I think 6-7 minutes are enough. Speaking on both DJ and producer sides.

  15. #12
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Maratone View Post
    I think 6-7 minutes are enough. Speaking on both DJ and producer sides.
    classic tracks like Xpander,Saltwater and Cafe del Mar wouldnt exist if people thought like that. Imo you need more time than that for proper progression and the complexities of Trance.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    Altair (05-28-2016), Hensmon (05-31-2016)

  17. #13
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:19 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,700
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 1,089x in 753 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Yeah, whatever label demands are behind compressing trance tracks down to less than seven minutes are really saddening. IMO seven minutes is about the best minimum trance should adhere to - the best trance tracks aren't afraid to really explore their ideas and stretch them past the 9 and 10 minute mark. Where are the club mixes like TiŽsto's 11:35 remix of silence? Or his other long-playing classics like Suburban Train and Magikal Circus? What about Armin's 11:29 UR remix of Aria's Dido?? Or As the Rush Comes? Beautiful Things? L-Vee's classics like Ladyblue, Alone in the Dark and the old Planisphere tracks (like the 15 minute long "O"?) And a whole host of others??

    I guess the primary culprit is the shorter attention shared by a lot of modern, big-name EDM. You usually don't see a BP top ten track clocking more than seven minutes, even if some of the deep house that shows up there can be occasionally incredible. So trance has followed suit. Thankfully I feel like Black Hole's trancier labels are avoiding it, but it's still pretty rare to see tracks on the prominent labels breaking the 8.5-minute mark. In any case, I want to see more long-players. Trance is all about the journey, of course - and when you structure and develop that journey right then even 10 min+ tracks remain interesting throughout. I want to see more producers take up that challenge - at least, I know I want to try

    Totally agree...you have a real point there with EDM length tracks have maybe spread to Trance.

  18. #14
    Lanto.Trance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:19 AM
    Location
    Quang Ninh, Viet Nam
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Posts
    422
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 42x in 35 Posts
    Vietnam
    Quote Originally Posted by Astral Point View Post
    I agree that people need tracks to be short. I personally only listen to Original/Extended Mixes, and all my friends don't understand why, they say that it's too long and boring, and then that Trance sucks. How disappointing.
    Long or short = no matter
    Original or Extended , Remix = no matter
    Just chosen great track.

    They exactly dont understand what is Trance, they basically dont have passion.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lanto.Trance For This Useful Post:

    Astral Point (05-29-2016)

  20. #15
    Astral Point's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 03:16 AM
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Gender
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanto.Trance View Post
    Long or short = no matter
    Original or Extended , Remix = no matter
    Just chosen great track.

    They exactly dont understand what is Trance, they basically dont have passion.
    I agree. When I try to explain them that Trance is a genre that we feel, they basically just laugh at me. That leaves me disappointed. :/

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Point For This Useful Post:

    Lanto.Trance (05-29-2016)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2015, 04:21 AM
  2. 2 New Short Trance YouTube Mixes for ya'll
    By djohnnyblaze in forum User-made Trance DJ sets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 02:05 AM
  3. Grazba - After Sadness (short mix)
    By Grazba in forum User-made Trance Productions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 19:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •