Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

View Poll Results: Why do we like Trance music?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Listened to a lot of 4/4 music as a child

    4 25.00%
  • Listened to a lot of instrumental music as a child

    2 12.50%
  • Both of the above

    2 12.50%
  • Other

    8 50.00%

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Why do we like Trance music?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:53 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,374
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 832x in 575 Posts
    Mexico

    Why do we like Trance music?

    What attracts people to Trance?
    To quote Hensmon,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    I think we are people who are naturally attracted to it [Trance] and who listened to the 4/4 repetitive beats from a lot earlier age building a understanding/appreciation or even a 'tolerance' you could call it.
    In my opinion, while early exposure to 4/4 beats is important, I think experience listening to instrumental music in general is a stronger factor when it comes to liking Trance or not.
    Alternately, the answer could be both, or some other thing that hasn't been mentioned!

    Discuss.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 06-08-2016 at 14:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:09 AM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,470
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,593
    Thanked 2,409x in 1,782 Posts
    Serbia
    In my case, I was just looking for something deeper.

    I listened firstly to Serbian pop around 2005 (I was 10), then shortly classical, then pop & rock (the MTV kind), after that rap (I still listen to it today), and then came folk/Serbian pop (awful, this one)... Those were ALL vocal (except for classical, but I do love "O Fortuna"!), not instrumental genres - but I was fascinated with rap beats. And after that, in let's say 2011, came house and techno, and by the end of 2011 I started listening to trance - vocal trance(-pop) - AvB's commercial tracks. I fell in love with instrumental trance later as I have found out that sometimes instruments can make me more emotional than vocals can.

    Early exposure to 4/4 beats OR instrumental music isn't crucial. Though every case is individual. Just comes down to your preference.

    And now I listen to a lot of genres. Trance comes first, then ambient/chillout/film, house, techno, rap - those are my main ones. There's also electronica, classical, pop & rock even. Whatever I like. I think I always put music first, in front of the genre, though now more than ever.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (06-08-2016)

  4. #3
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 12:57 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    726
    Thanked 1,694x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Well, its kinda both and also more. My first contact with music was probably in late 80s when my brother was working in Finland and bringing all sorts of cool "Western" things at home. Back then, i was living in Soviet Union and our selection of entertainment was very limited. So i sort of listened to whatever tapes he brought. I remember there was Queen and New Kids on the Block and stuff like that. Then at some point i got a hold of a tape with classical music with some added beats. So it was basically your typical 80s medley, just that music was from classical pieces. I tried finding something similar now, but i guess i only got some contemporary similar stuff like this. I guess i fell into instrumental side back then.
    Then 90s came and in Estonia eurodance became massively popular and then Robert Miles came out with "Children" and i found a guy who was selling pirated CDs and series called "Dream Dance", rest is history.
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to tep For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (06-08-2016)

  6. #4
    Astral Point's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 04:16 AM
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Gender
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    I don't think it's about the 4/4 beats, Trance isn't the only genre that uses this formula (Techno, House, Big Room, Deep House and even sometimes Pop Music). I think it's more about the feelings that is delivered by Trance Music. It's something strong, something that we cannot find in other Dance Music genres. Sometimes it's a special feeling of happiness in our hearts, sometimes euphoria, or a feeling of epicness, but it also gives shivers. I don't know about you, but I've never had shivers or an euphoric feeling while I was listening to House Music or Techno.
    The particularity of Trance is that it combines the best from various music genres. Maybe this is why Trance is considered as the most similar EDM genre to Classical Music.

    The fact that it's not a genre for everyone could be explained by the fact that nowadays, everything has to be fast. People want everything quickly and easily, so they start becoming impatient. Our mentality often has an impact on the kind of music we listen to, and how we listen to it. For example, someone who's very impatient will probably don't like Trance because of it's famous 4/4 beats. But even if he does, he will never or rarely give a single shit about Original or Extended Mixes, and will mostly listen to Radio Edits (or even Mix Cuts, who knows). So again, the particularity of Trance is that you may not like it at first, but it's a genre that we learn to love, and once we get involved in it, we never have enough.
    Last edited by Astral Point; 06-08-2016 at 23:42 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Point For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (06-08-2016)

  8. #5
    AustralianGQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    12-08-2019 @ 16:50 PM
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Posts
    3,441
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 149x in 112 Posts
    Canada
    so many unnecessary pointless threads covering the same thing.

    anyways people like trance because, i would imagine it creates some sort of positive emotional response when listening to it.


  9. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:53 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,374
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,533
    Thanked 832x in 575 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by AustralianGQ View Post
    so many unnecessary pointless threads covering the same thing.
    Show me those "unnecessary pointless threads covering the same thing."

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredjan For This Useful Post:

    Astral Point (06-09-2016)

  11. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    06-20-2017 @ 15:05 PM
    Location
    Drammen, Norway
    Gender
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32x in 21 Posts
    Norway
    I guess we listen to trance because we're overly emotional at heart. We like to daydream, distance ourselves from reality in an emotional vortex of sounds and melodies. Maybe we're not that good with emotions in general, and trance gives an outlet. This may be me psychoanalyzing myself, but I believe I'm not alone in this.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al X For This Useful Post:

    Astral Point (06-09-2016), Daysleeper (08-13-2017)

  13. #8
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:09 AM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,470
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,593
    Thanked 2,409x in 1,782 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Al X View Post
    I guess we listen to trance because we're overly emotional at heart. We like to daydream, distance ourselves from reality in an emotional vortex of sounds and melodies. Maybe we're not that good with emotions in general, and trance gives an outlet. This may be me psychoanalyzing myself, but I believe I'm not alone in this.
    Funny you say this, because that change came AFTER I started listening to trance. Weird.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

    Astral Point (06-09-2016), Fredjan (06-09-2016), SupaNoodles (06-09-2016)

  15. #9
    Astral Point's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-10-2016 @ 04:16 AM
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Gender
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 66x in 56 Posts
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    Funny you say this, because that change came AFTER I started listening to trance. Weird.
    Same here

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Astral Point For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (06-09-2016)

  17. #10
    DarkRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    07-13-2019 @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    533
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 131x in 97 Posts
    Germany
    I love Trance because i connect so many memories with different tracks.
    "What happnd to music with emotions?"

  18. #11
    Halon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:32 PM
    Location
    Norway - Scandinavia
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    5,530
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    3,620
    Thanked 1,823x in 1,372 Posts
    Norway
    Because its the best.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

  19. #12
    Daysleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 21:07 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    6,251
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,061
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,569 Posts
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    Because its the best.
    Nope.
    #Sicknessesintheair

    Say no to STEROIDS.






  20. #13
    Halon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:32 PM
    Location
    Norway - Scandinavia
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    5,530
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    3,620
    Thanked 1,823x in 1,372 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Nope.
    Really? I meant that Trance is better than any other genre.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

  21. #14
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:28 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,797
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 1,125x in 781 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Because it has reversed piano notes.

  22. #15
    Thijs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 16:49 PM
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    10,236
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,832
    Thanked 2,275x in 1,597 Posts
    Netherlands
    Why "WE" like trance music? I think hypnotic trancy music likes me, and I defo love the 4/4 as it's so nice to dance to while being in a club or at a festival. It makes me feel free because I don't need to think about it.... it just goes
    Happiness is everywhere, but it's never complete...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 20:38 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 15:37 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 18:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2014, 01:41 AM
  5. What is trance for you? / Is trance a dead music style?
    By skindredd in forum Music Related Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 18:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •