Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How we used to live (serious topic) !!!

Last Online
    Today @ 21:59 PM
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,770x in 1,252 Posts
    Sweden

How we used to live (serious topic) !!!

Ok, I need to collect my thoughts and try to be as articulate and clear as I can.

A couple weeks ago I was in my local indoor swimming facility. After I was done swimming I sat down in the sauna and after awhile a middle-aged man enters with his younger daugther. She sits in his lap and he's joking with her and all of a sudden he just asks me some ordinary normal questions related to the pools and if there were lots of people in there, but the thing was, he was genuinely happy and I picked this up instantly and it almost brought me to tears. I answered him back that there were a little packed with some families with kids in the pool where they have a wave machine and then he looked at his daugther and says - Lets just throw in a shark there!! I laughed, not because it was the best joke in the world, but because of how he said it. I smiled all the time and he wished me a good day and I him.

THIS, right here, is what I miss so much! Have we totally forgot about this? I lived on this the whole weekend.

Has people forgot how to be humans???

At work,in parks,on the train,when we walk, when we ride our vehicles, when we wait in line, everywhere!

Smartphones,internet,facebook,snapchat,selfies,you tube,spotify, earphones in our ears 24/7.

Have we forgot how to talk, how to live, how to love, how to laugh, how to cry?

I think we have forgot how we used to live. For real. I think most of us are victims of this, in one way or another. And people used to call the television addicting.

Could you imagine a life without it all?

Last edited by Daysleeper; 05-25-2017 at 22:45 PM.

Say no to STEROIDS.

Last Online
    02-16-2018 @ 12:43 PM
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 312x in 194 Posts
    Netherlands
    I've been limiting my phone time for a while now. I also started to read some books on the subject, how smartphones and social media impact our lifes. Like Irresistible bij Adam Alter, not a hardcore science study book but with lots of interesting sources mentioned in it.

There is so much te be said on the subject. We have one colleague. a woman in her 40's who isn't that much into phones and I noticed that during our breaks in the evening shift (with 5 or 6 ppl) everybody is on their phone and she just sits there trying to make a conversation. Others are replying to her but, as it's also mentioned in the books, when you're having a conversation while being on your phone it's of much less quality. Or loosely translated from a dutch book: They are talking without having a conversation.

The story that impacted me the most in the books was about children who had to go up to their parrents and say: 'Can you get off your phone now? I want to play' and got a reply like 'No, mommy/daddy still gotta check/do facebook/twitter/candy crush etc..'.

I see that in town sometimes, kids asking fot attention when they see something interesting and parents replying 'yeah, that's great' without even looking up from the screen.
    I also tend to be on my phone too much when I'm with my son, but nowadays I try to just put it away and have fun, interact and
    experience the world with him. And I'm getting better at it, most of the time when we go to the store or just outside I leave my phone at home.

I could go on forever but imo social media can be a good thing to keep in touch with some ppl but the eternal stream of (mostly useless) information is really bad for most ppl. And companies are only trying to get ppl more assicted to it. I noticed that facebook has something new on their phone app.
    Earlier when you wanted to quit the app and hit the 'back' button (android) it would just close. Now when you hit the back button it first scrolls to the top and loads new posts and you just now that there are ppl who think 'oehhh, new stuff to see' and stay on the app to see what's there.

So that's my little take on it (did I even stay on topic? )

P.s: to answer your question: 'Could you imagine a life without it all?'. No, I could live without Facebook (and I don't use other stuff like Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram) but would prefer to keep using stuff like Google Maps, YouTube, WhatsApp (I do avoid groupchats though) and the app I use for financial stuff (paying bills etc.)
    Last edited by *Maickel*; 05-26-2017 at 14:20 PM.
    Last edited by *Maickel* Tomorrow at 10:30 AM.

Out Of The Past - Mystery (MaickelJ Remix)

"u massacre music with your amateurism"

only finished shovel knight 8x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to *Maickel* For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (08-01-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 14:50 PM
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631x in 1,197 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by *Maickel* View Post
    Earlier when you wanted to quit the app and hit the 'back' button (android) it would just close. Now when you hit the back button it first scrolls to the top and loads new posts and you just now that there are ppl who think 'oehhh, new stuff to see' and stay on the app to see what's there.
    Really, really annoying feature. I always quadriple-tap the back button, just in case it doesn't completely exit.

---

To be honest, I am a bit OCD about having to check every single status/photo/story on my Twitter (BVB news and rumours), Instagram and Facebook feeds. Then I unfollowed a lot of people because I didn't like what they posted/shared/liked/blablabla and to minimize the time spent there. Still, I do it few times a day, mostly when I'm alone and have nothing better to do. I'm constantly minimizing my Twitter and Facebook usage - I like Instagram, though. I also minimized chatting.

But every once in a while, I open those apps when I'm somewhere with someone. Mostly because I don't want to have a boring conversation about the weather or stuff like that, sometimes I also don't like to be bothered and sometimes because I might feel slightly socially awkward. And sometimes I just think it's okay... I mean, when you know the person who's with you so much, if you're already sitting, doing nothing, might as well pull my phone out of the pocket and see what's up. If I'm watching something, like a movie or a football game, I usually try to put it aside, so I can't reach it. If I'm walking or just basically doing something, anything, I don't touch my phone. No need to. I realized the constant trigger to these things is boredom - checking your phone out constantly, eating too much or even masturbating (and yeah, I am being serious). At least in my case, that is. As soon as I have loads of things to do and my day is filled with activities, I don't even think of pulling my phone out. Or my penis.

Music is another thing, whenever I take a walk to college, gym or wherever, I always like to listen to some music. It's very soothing, I just let my mind wonder whatever it wants to wonder about. A therapy.

All personal justifications aside, I've seen worse people. My brother, in fact, is CONSTANTLY on his phone. We're watching a movie, we're working out, we're running, we're 'warming up' for clubbing (drinking)...he's on a fucking phone! Chatting constantly. That guy just doesn't take a break from WhatsApp, Messenger and Viber. I mean, really. If nobody writes to him, he'll start a conversation with someone just so he doesn't get bored. Mostly it's his ex/future/current GFs (which makes this understandable) and a few of male friends. And it's clearly affecting his real-life conversations and activities. Not to be too negative, when he's not chatting all the time he's fun to be around with. Maybe he just craves communication in any way he can get it. Never mind...

Then there's also the 'white chick' type of user on Instagram, namely my sister. Endless stream of selfies that are always the same, constantly in rotation with pictures of coffee mugs, taken in a cafe. SO annoying. But that's content, which is another topic.

---

A parent who won't play with his/her child because he/she wants to check out Facebook/whatever is just an excuse. We've seen those around before. Some parents talk to their friends in real life at social events and completely ignore their children, same as they do when they are on their phone. "Just go play with your friends". I bet your parents didn't have phones but you heard that line a lot of times, have you?

Only it's easier to blame it on phones and social media, because 'that stuff is bad for you anyway'. When I'm with my niece, I always like to play with her. Though I want to talk to my sister at the same time, but my niece keeps dragging me away, so I try to do both. But I'm not spending 24/7 with her - I imagine I'd want some time for myself, me being me.

Yes, social media is, kind of, useless and unproductive, but hey, it entertains people. I'd rather have a phone in my hands all day long than watch crappy reality TV show full of idiots.

Could I live without it?

I've given up on a few social media apps before (namely Snapchat). I don't post almost anything on Facebook and Twitter. I post stuff on Instagram like once a month. I've toned down my YouTube usage (at least for the stuff that doesn't really interest me). But with Deezer it would be tricky. It made me explore so much music. Snapchat used to be the only app that made me sincerely entertained. Me and my friend posted the most stupid shit there was, even competed. Made me laugh so many times - and it made me entertain myself which helped me cope with some of the other things. Other than that, I'm pretty indifferent.

Have we forgotten how to live/love/laugh?

No. It's only hard to do it 24/7. A phone is just a way to escape...well, something. People still do those things. The emotions can still be there. Not everything was so magical and over-romanticized before as you might think. People only had less things available, so they tried to fill their time with whatever was. It was only more obscure back then, now you can just easily associate it with one device because you can notice it.

Are you (at least a bit) right about this?

Yes. It is making us a bit dull.

Bottom line:

It's not the technology. It's the people.

---

Oh, and a classic from GTA V, unrelated to this, just made me laugh.

Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Today @ 21:59 PM
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,770x in 1,252 Posts
    Sweden
    Thanks for the input guys. Would be interesting hearing more members thoughts on this.

Say no to STEROIDS.

Last Online
    02-13-2018 @ 23:13 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 25x in 15 Posts
    United States
    This is postindustrial age, baby. There is no way back to live how we used to live.
    The key idea today is to use all hi-tech achievements smart, so you can increase
    duration and quality of your life.

The thing that really frightens me is that all current technology solutions & processes are globally spread + closed by privacy laws. There is no special place or database where you can find and study them. So in case of global cataclysm we will be thrown into stone age. BTW in such situation there is going to be much time to talk, live, love, laugh, and especially to cry

Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 23:26 PM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Turkey
    "Smartphones,internet,facebook,snapchat,selfies,yo u tube,spotify, earphones in our ears 24/7."

That sentence explains all the problem. The problem is technology. No turn back. No chance anyway.

Last Online
    07-05-2017 @ 18:36 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7x in 5 Posts
    Northern Ireland
    maybe im one of the lucky ones. i just dont get all these phone apps. who needs to take 100s of pictures everyday or take a picture to be able to send someone a text message. sure i have facebook on my phone, which i guess i do look at too much. thats it however. back in about 2002 when i first starting using the internet i coul have been on here for hours apon hours. now on i turn computer, check a few forums and turn it off again within a few minutes if im not listening to music on it.

Last Online
    Today @ 21:12 PM
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,844x in 1,279 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Few things I make sure to do in my life to keep the digital screens out of my face. First, NEVER look at my phone on public transport. I spend 45 mins on a train to work and both journies id say 70% or more are staring at the phones, probably before they go to a job that involves them sitting in front of a computer screen (like me). Second... try to turn off TV, Computer, Phone after 9pm to give your poor little eyes and brain a break before bed time...this one is harder to do for me though, but I have noticed a HUGE difference in my sleep when I stop watching shows before I sleep... Manga all the way!
    Last edited by Hensmon; 07-30-2017 at 16:09 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (08-01-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 22:23 PM
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,318x in 813 Posts
    Netherlands
    The thing is, you gotta be strong enough. And that's hard.

What helps is: not giving yourself the option (to open apps / get addicted etc). If you don't have the app on your phone, then you cant get addicted to it either.

I don't have Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Kik. I also don't have the FB app on my phone.

I do have Facebook (where I experience the meaningless crap others wrote).

Leaving your phone at home when going somewhere is an excellent option. When I go out for lets say a walk I just leave my phone. I'm also pretty much always on "nightmode" (the moon-thing on iPhone) so I don't get bleeps and pretty much every call is a missed one (ha...) I hardly get any phone calls so that's Ok
    Do you like 90's music? Check out my 'Parada de Hittas' mix 002: LINK!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (07-31-2017)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    Leaving your phone at home when going somewhere is an excellent option.
    Another good one...leaving your phone outside of the bedroom when you sleep. No looking before bed and no looking when you wake up (which I do as always have messages). Another little trick to breakdown the digital dependencies that seem to become a norm...at least for me anyway.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Rosemary (08-21-2017), Voci (08-19-2017)

Last Online
    02-15-2018 @ 15:47 PM
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 635x in 458 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    \ First, NEVER look at my phone on public transport. I spend 45 mins on a train to work and both journies id say 70% or more are staring at the phones, probably before they go to a job that involves them sitting in front of a computer screen (like me).
    I don't know how people can read things on their phone while on a moving vehicle. That has always felt extremely uncomfortable and tiring on my eyes.

Last Online
    Today @ 14:50 PM
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631x in 1,197 Posts
    Serbia
    /banter

Been on a kind of a digital detox lately.

Didn't pay the phone bill so they disconnected me, and I wasn't able to access the internet as a result. Went to a town nearby to hang out with some friends for a day - that day turned out to be 3 days. As I didn't have internet and we were mostly on the river, camping, drinking, having BBQ and swimming, I was only able to check out social media in the morning and evening, if even then.

That continued on even when I came home and had access to the internet. I've decreased my use of Facebook to max. 3 times a day, and that is to check out a few posts (since I've reduced my news feed content to a bare minimum). Instagram a little bit more because people post more there, but I enjoy using it still. And, of course, Twitter I only use for checking out news on Borussia Dortmund. That's about it. So basically, it takes me a few minutes to check out these 2-3 social networks and that's it.

My YouTube usage is close to a minimum. The internet was really crappy in the past week and I haven't watched videos on YouTube. That continued on. I only check out what REALLY interests me, and that is decreased to a bare minimum.

I chat less, mainly only when I have something to chat about. I still have banter conversations, though, from time to time.

Point of all this is - I can certainly live with minimal amount of social network use, and I'm glad I'm reducing it constantly. If I wasn't bored sometimes throughout the day, I wouldn't use it even then. I've also use them exclusively on my phone.

The only thing I need to improve on is consuming social media first time in the morning and last time before I fall asleep. That's something that isn't at all effective or good.

end banter/
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    09-02-2017 @ 03:14 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Egypt
    I do the same when I am on my way to the college, I spend minimum 2 hours and I NEVER look in my phone and to encourage myself I have no smart phone, it's just old Nokia whit light flasher hehehe. But you said exactly what in my mind, it makes me feel sick when I look around me and see all my family keep looking in their smart phones no family nights and rarely we talk to each other.
    Last edited by Rosemary; 08-21-2017 at 03:55 AM.
    roseMaryTrance4Life

Last Online
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    I realise I probably spend 70% of my waking day in front of screens. Screen generation

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (11-08-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 21:35 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9x in 6 Posts
    Bulgaria

Last edited by BladeRunner_; 02-12-2018 at 17:32 PM.