Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does old trance sound "magical" because of the analogue gear or because of the music itself?

Last Online
    Today @ 21:53 PM
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308x in 1,608 Posts
    Sweden
    Mitch murder is very trebly and mid-rangey. Trance these days is super v-shaped + white noise ofc.

#Sicknessesintheair

Say no to STEROIDS.

Last Online
    Today @ 22:22 PM
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503x in 1,857 Posts
    Serbia
    Agree with all the point you guys made here.

To add to that, there's very little people who try to innovate, try something new. Everyone wants to become the next :insert DJ/producer:, and, possibly due to the fact that we're in an internet era, because of the possible bashing. Ironically, that's exactly what's happening on this forum because a lot of the tracks are not distinguishable from one another. Everyone wants to get played at ASOT (nothing wrong with that), but that shouldn't be the only and end goal. Music is business, everyone wants a piece of cake with minimal effort. That is entirely possible nowadays because almost every known producer's sound is very accessible (samples, presets etc).

Just make sure to use the sounds other people use, make the structure predictable and up to 'standard', and do lots of compression, make the track playable in sets and radio shows.

Very few people are willing and brave enough to try something new. And I fear that only the biggest names can do something to change that, because they are the leaders of the scene. Only they don't innovate themselves but almost always take the easy route. That's how we got here.

I'm guilty of this myself. But I'm trying to change that.

I remember a certain scene in one Mad Men episode (the TV show depicting the 60s and early 70s, among other things), when somebody plays Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles. Instantly, the men in suits start complaining how this is not music or whatever it was.

That's what we need, someone ahead of his time.

And to be clear, I don't think having a non-melodic climax in an uplifting track and calling it tech-trance is innovating. I'm talking sounds, structures, I'm talking character. And to be even clearer, we had some innovators in recent years, but these have by now took the safe passage.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 378x in 204 Posts
    Estonia
    I think this legendary clip of Zappa fits here as well!

It's so fitting to the trance scene. Not only is trance a super marginal sub-genre, but the records aren't selling AT ALL. And yet the labels and A&R's we have are so fucking narrow minded and are just trying to push their own art agenda. People have no idea how much fresh unique stuff gets rejected because "it doesn't fit the label's sound" "it's not trendy enough" "it has too many themes" "it's too long" or they simply just don't get it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (08-15-2017), Gagi (08-14-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 22:22 PM
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503x in 1,857 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    I think this legendary clip of Zappa fits here as well!

[videyoutube;KZazEM8cgt0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0]movie[/URL]

It's so fitting to the trance scene. Not only is trance a super marginal sub-genre, but the records aren't selling AT ALL. And yet the labels and A&R's we have are so fucking narrow minded and are just trying to push their own art agenda. People have no idea how much fresh unique stuff gets rejected because "it doesn't fit the label's sound" "it's not trendy enough" "it has too many themes" "it's too long" or they simply just don't get it.
    Good point. The sales are pretty low but the labels are all insistent that the music stays the same and more or less indistinguishable.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (08-15-2017)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 85x in 62 Posts
    Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    .you dont get elements like that anymore - its all just meaningless vocals about love.
    Exactlly the same i say about these transitions in todays trance songs it´s overcompresed beat kick, kickdrum and bassline overpower the rest of the track it´s almost everywhere and completely killing the "magical" feeling from the song (too aggressive)
    Examples:

So problem (for me) is that they too much concentrate on beat kick and synth sound is in the "behind scene"
    You hear more taht beat kick then synth, piano etc. etc. @Daysleeper: "Why was the old sound magical?"
    It is a bit of old instruments, but more the structure of the song
    Of course people will say you that songs from the past sounds really simple and cheesy.
    But i post on this forum videos where Paul vand dyk, Tiesto, Kai Tracid said that is not true.