Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What caused the '98-2000 golden era of Trance to phase out?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,923
    Thanked 957x in 684 Posts
    Mexico

    What caused the '98-2000 golden era of Trance to phase out?

    In simplest terms, why did the anthem boom of the turn of the century end?
    Did the public lose interest in Trance as a result of massive hits in other genres such as Daft Punk's One More Time or Benny Benassi's Satisfaction?
    Did a major societal change make Trance's happy, carefree, uplifting melodies unappealing?
    Did clubs somehow reach the conclusion that other genres were more effective at making people dance?
    Did the general public simply get tired of the Trance sound?
    Were mainstream Trance releases starting to get too generic?
    Was the "death" of Trance just part of the regular music cycle where one genre reaches the spotlight and then fades into obscurity, as we've seen recently with Dubstep and Future House?
    Last edited by Fredjan; 08-16-2017 at 16:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Daysleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    07-07-2020 @ 19:30 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    6,482
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 2,353x in 1,636 Posts
    Sweden
    Facebook,Mcdonalds,Technology etc.
    #Sicknessesintheair

    Say no to STEROIDS.






  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (08-16-2017), Nerio (08-16-2017)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,923
    Thanked 957x in 684 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Facebook,Mcdonalds,Technology etc.
    Lol
    Facebook didn't appear until 2004, though, and it didn't become mainstream until ~2009-2010?
    If anything, social media and the Internet kept Trance alive.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 08-16-2017 at 18:57 PM.

  5. #4
    Daysleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    07-07-2020 @ 19:30 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    6,482
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 2,353x in 1,636 Posts
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    Lol
    Facebook didn't appear until 2004, though, and it didn't become mainstream until ~2009-2010?
    If anything, social media and the Internet kept Trance alive.
    Is that fact or fiction? Its hard to tell really aint it? I made a thread and a hypothesis a couple years back what could have happened if we didnt see these things become big so rapidly or if they didnt become reality at all. I would be careful make such claims. The downfall of trance (if you even take that position ofc) followed in a parallel fashion the rise of social media, sharing is caring attitude,digital labels, festivals, dj stardom, streaming.Facebook opened up 2006 btw.
    Last edited by Daysleeper; 08-16-2017 at 20:12 PM.
    #Sicknessesintheair

    Say no to STEROIDS.






  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (08-17-2017)

  7. #5
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:24 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    38
    Gender
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,210x in 839 Posts
    United Kingdom
    That era you speak of was a 'high' point for the genre,but nothing phased out imo - 2006 was one of the best years,then it hit a lull for a few years. But as ive always said,there are great tracks every year.

    The main difference between recent years and the early 2000's is that producers such as Ferry,Matt Darey,MIKE,Lange,PvD,Dumonde,Chicane etc stopped or were really not productive anymore in Trance,changing to other styles. So many great tracks from that era came from that select band of producers.

    Of course MIKE & Ferry have returned only very recently,but guys like Darey or Lange plus others never coming back left a big hole.

    I suppose we were lucky from 98-2000 that those guys were at their peak and making their finest work in that era. Thats what seperates that time from all the rest imo.

  8. #6
    Voci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 19:16 PM
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    4,772
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    471
    Thanked 1,719x in 1,038 Posts
    Netherlands
    Well it's all marketing and popstarts wanting to be a bigger star.

    Trance became the 'hip' thing in the late 90's.

    We had house in the early 90's, after that we got trance in the late 90's till around 2004. Then it was time for electro (Fedde le Grand - Put Your Hands Up), then even minimal got 'hip', although the pop-scene did not support it much. Then we had that aweful skrillex-genre-hype for a while. (I forgot the name lol). Then bigroom EDM (this genre is losing terrain fast). Now I guess it's 100 BPM 'boring sunny house'. It's almost not even dance music anymore...

    What happens with a new sound? Big artists (I mean pop artists) start using it. It happened with trance as well. For example Jennifer Lopez - Waiting For Tonight. It's based on the popular sound of trance. If big artists use the sound, it gets popular. It will get into the Top 40 charts, it will be played on MTV / TMF / Radio festivals. Youth likes what is popular.

    If were "lucky" then the new trend will be 140 bpm and something melodic. Then 'trance' could be a trend for a while again. I'm afraid we first will have to get through a bit of hardstyle though, which is currently also getting more and more used (mostly only partly hardstyle... with tracks that have a big part in like 80 BPM and then after a breakdown a hardstyle 160 BPM part).
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (08-17-2017), point (08-17-2017)

  10. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,923
    Thanked 957x in 684 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Is that fact or fiction? Its hard to tell really aint it? I made a thread and a hypothesis a couple years back what could have happened if we didnt see these things become big so rapidly or if they didnt become reality at all. I would be careful make such claims. The downfall of trance (if you even take that position ofc) followed in a parallel fashion the rise of social media, sharing is caring attitude, digital labels, festivals, dj stardom, streaming.Facebook opened up 2006 btw.
    It's hard to tell. Perhaps I should have been more specific.
    It seems that pre-Social Media like tranceaddict, trancenu, di.fm and forums in general definitely helped Trance stay alive. I remember reading about that several years ago, but I couldn't dig up the source today.
    I can't truly comment on how true Social Media like Myspace or Facebook affected Trance, but I can see how their widespread use starting somewhere around ~2006 parallels the downfall of Trance as you mentioned. I'd definitely like to read that thread, though.

    This is all coming from the lens of a 21-year old, BTW, so I wasn't present for any of these events.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    Then we had that aweful skrillex-genre-hype for a while. (I forgot the name lol).
    Brostep. Heard it a lot​ in high school.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    Now I guess it's 100 BPM 'boring sunny house'.
    Dancehall.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 08-17-2017 at 03:04 AM.

  11. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 398x in 217 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    It seems that pre-Social Media like tranceaddict, trancenu, di.fm and forums in general definitely helped Trance stay alive.
    I was a member on all of these forums, and that's absolutely true. In 2000-2005 the main way to find out about new releases and artists was these forums and exposure of trance to the underground has never been as good since that. Even the smaller name producers and labels got attention, a forum like trance.nu was at least 10 times more active than trancefix.nl. The internet made guys like Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Above&Beyond to the huge stars they are.

    I just can't imagine things being anyway better before the internet. The way you found out about things was by word of mouth, record stores, magazines, going to events and the rare electronic music radio broadcasts on some countries. The upside of that is that you could actually find gems that not everyone knew about and hence it made the music feel more special and personal, but the downside is you were missing out on a lot and most of the stuff you did find was being pushed to you by heavy marketing machines.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

    pmvibes (08-21-2017)

  13. #9
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:24 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    38
    Gender
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,210x in 839 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    I was a member on all of these forums, and that's absolutely true. In 2000-2005 the main way to find out about new releases and artists was these forums and exposure of trance to the underground has never been as good since that. Even the smaller name producers and labels got attention, a forum like trance.nu was at least 10 times more active than trancefix.nl. The internet made guys like Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Above&Beyond to the huge stars they are.

    I just can't imagine things being anyway better before the internet. The way you found out about things was by word of mouth, record stores, magazines, going to events and the rare electronic music radio broadcasts on some countries. The upside of that is that you could actually find gems that not everyone knew about and hence it made the music feel more special and personal, but the downside is you were missing out on a lot and most of the stuff you did find was being pushed to you by heavy marketing machines.

    100% agree - forums like Trance.nu & Tranceaddict around 2001-2003 were massive and as you said,were 10x bigger than this forum in terms of activity...was the heartbeat of the Trance scene imo. Before then it was a different time - discovering tracks by buying singles,compilations,reading magazine reviews. Both times i enjoyed very much!

  14. #10

    Hensmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Posts
    5,836
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,527
    Thanked 2,352x in 1,628 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    10x bigger than this forum in terms of activity
    Trance was probably at least 10x more popular back though to be fair...

  15. #11
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:24 PM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    38
    Gender
    Posts
    2,978
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    582
    Thanked 1,210x in 839 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Trance was probably at least 10x more popular back though to be fair...
    I think its more the point that sadly most forums have died and FB and Twitter have taken over..

    We would have a load more active users here if those apps didnt exist..

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (08-18-2017)

  17. #12
    Voci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 19:16 PM
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    4,772
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    471
    Thanked 1,719x in 1,038 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    I think its more the point that sadly most forums have died and FB and Twitter have taken over..

    We would have a load more active users here if those apps didnt exist..
    Well the current 12-18 year olds actually aren't on those a lot. They use Instagram and YouTube way more.

    The diference is they only want to 'receive' info. They are addicted to it. We also learned to appreciate to 'give', to interact.

    Its bad for the human race i think haha...
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

    pmvibes (08-21-2017)

  19. #13

    Hensmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Posts
    5,836
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,527
    Thanked 2,352x in 1,628 Posts
    United Kingdom
    The simple answer to the OP question is 'things change'. Nothing can stay the same forever, and that's a good thing. Even if popularity stayed the same and the internet never came into existence, it still would have moved away from those sounds of 99. Art, film, music, literature, fashion... nothing can remain constant because art is a reflection of the world. Or like an amalgamation of the nuances and beat of collective society...but also at the individual level too, at a specific point in their lives. It's like pointing a mirror at history and the present moment at the same time. Influence and individuality combined together.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (09-01-2017)

Similar Threads

  1. Ethan - Golden Shore (incl Brian Flinn Remix) [Trance All-Stars]
    By skyriderz in forum (Upcoming) Trance Releases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 20:51 PM
  2. Marco V - Live @ Trance Energy 2000, Eindhoven, 2000-04-30
    By Quick in forum Live Sets 1990 - 2002
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
  3. Shane 54 - live @ Golden Trance night in MAD 21-04-2006
    By sixecho in forum Live Sets 2003 - 2010
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 18:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •