Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Thread: Why do some many "uplfiting" producers add white noise in the climax/takeoff?

Last Online
    Today @ 14:07 PM
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529x in 1,067 Posts
    Sweden

Why do some many "uplfiting" producers add white noise in the climax/takeoff?

Seriously, what purpose does it serve? Is it just me who doesnt get it because i dont hear in a club? Its like blurring a perfectly fine photograph.

I wish some producer could come on tf and explain all this. This def feels like a thing from the 2012 era. I never heard white noise in old trance.

What is it for?
    Where is the music in todays "trance"?

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 174x in 92 Posts
    Estonia
    Using white noise on synth sounds has been a thing ever since it was added in the 70s (arp2600 had it, probably moog modular as well). In addition to being able to make wind and percussion sounds, it brings some roughness to synth sounds. For some reason (most of) us humans prefer dirtier and imperfect sounds to clean ones, that's why tape saturation, distortion and analog synths in general are prefered to cleaner digital synths. I can't name any 90s trance examples with white noise sounds from the top of my head, but I guarantee most of them used it, but in a much more subtle way. Like always in electronic (dance) music, everything has to be taken to the extreme and that's pretty much what has happened with the use of noise. I guess the fact that so many are using cleaner digital plugins to produce has lead to the excessive use of noise, saturation and distortion to compensate.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

Gagi (09-12-2017), Thijs (09-13-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 00:55 AM
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 600x in 432 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    photograph.
    It's funny that you mentioned this. Photographer was the first producer that came to mind.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:07 PM
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,236x in 1,573 Posts
    Netherlands
    Welcome to noise topic #7382964
    Happiness is everywhere, but it's never complete...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thijs For This Useful Post:

Altair (09-16-2017), Gagi (09-13-2017), Katadunkass (09-13-2017), PegaSus (09-13-2017)

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 53x in 32 Posts
    Slovenia
    I think the answer that is does wonders in the club setting is not enough. Ok then.

We are using it because it adds energy to the mix. The pressure/release technique. You create parts with contrasting energy levels. White noise, high frequencies in the buildup, Kick and bass in the drop, low frequencies. Contrast.
    White noise riser, tension, buildup, anticipation, White noise downfall, release, drop. Pressure/release.
    Simple as that.

Variations of this were used since forever, with snare rolls and crashes taking place of white noise. Also, in the days of yore the noise as well as all very high frequency information was much subdued, perhaps of some vinyl cutting technical limitation, I'm guessing.
    But it was there even in the 90s trance.

It's not that the idea is flawed, you just don't like the sound of todays recordings, which are indeed, very very bright (because loudness war and high frequencies sound louder and can be made louder without clipping and technical stuff )

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:30 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 44x in 33 Posts
    Slovakia
    Seriously, what purpose does it serve? Is it just me who doesnt get it because i dont hear in a club? Its like blurring a perfectly fine photograph.
    You mean something like this 0:28 https://youtu.be/_o6rJWafs00?t=28 and 2:53? If so then this clearly elctro house american style of electronic music.
    And build ups like these 4:18 https://youtu.be/-ONyfhEKlBU?t=259 is clearly element from 2011-2012+ so called trance 2.0

Thijs i know that this is probably similiar topic to the 50+ other topic but i do not see a problem explaining it to them let them know. if old topic is +-40 page back.

Last Online
    Today @ 14:28 PM
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741x in 1,201 Posts
    United Kingdom
    What is it for?
    Can you show us a serious offender please or examples etc...

Last Online
    Today @ 14:07 PM
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529x in 1,067 Posts
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Can you show us a serious offender please or examples etc...
    Tell me that you havnt heard this ? I can barely remember good tracks, so how in the world am i gonna remember the bad ones ? Its almost in every single "uplifting" track these days. Thrillseekers doesnt do it but alot of the stuff on fsoe,blackhole,emergent,infra,always alive,monster,grotesque,subuculture.

Listen to that latest Solis & Sean Truby track. Its in the upcoming section.

Its funny. With all the oversaturation and making it sound loud as possible you still need to add that white noissssse aswell.

Where is the music in todays "trance"?

Last Online
    Today @ 14:28 PM
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741x in 1,201 Posts
    United Kingdom
    I asked because there are two types of white noise for me....the first you can hear in the very early parts of the Alan Morris track being used as a wooshing effect that comes in and out (not consistent). He seems to use it wayyyy to much here though, but generally if used sporadically I can deal with it (although admittedly it ain't good). The other form of white noise which I cant stand is the climax stuff as you said above... it's no longer there for an effect but just to create some sort of false sense of depth or fill a space. Awful stuff.

Maybe Reconceal is right though, maybe white-noise = energy in a club, and its not the same listening experience as through home speakers? Seems to me if you have to revert to using some shit sound to make a track sound energetic then something wrong with rest of the music....

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 174x in 92 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Maybe Reconceal is right though, maybe white-noise = energy in a club, and its not the same listening experience as through home speakers? Seems to me if you have to revert to using some shit sound to make a track sound energetic then something wrong with rest of the music....
    I think what Reconceal means with energy, he was referring to the buildup parts white noise / wind sweeps. When people like Daysleeper talk about white noise in tracks, they mean the high frequency noise that sometimes is just white noise, sometimes is white noise added to synth sounds and most of times is just overall high frequency mess caused by too much eqing. High frequency isn't energy, low frequency is energy, so white noise is actually doing the opposite.

I don't know who started this new frequency spectrum ideal, but nowadays high freq is boosted and a lot of the middle freqs are scooped when producing on all individual tracks and a little bit more in mastering. This results on tracks having so much high frequency content that it comes off as just "white noise". I think it sounds fucking horrible, but this is the new standard that djs and labels have set. If you want to get your tracks signed and played, this is how they have to sound, otherwise they'll just tell you it sounds dated.

the max braiman track is a good example:
    https://soundcloud.com/alwaysalivere...iman-surrender