Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulser on the state of music (2013?)

Last Online
    Today @ 14:56 PM
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 610x in 440 Posts
    Mexico

Pulser on the state of music (2013?)

Retrieved from Discogs
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/11695-Pulser

The end?

I count myself as very lucky to have been part of the Trance scene from its infancy. It's something that enabled me to experience things and see places I could only dream of but in those 16 or so years the music business in general, has changed out of all recognition.

Writing and producing music has been a part of my life for as long as I care to remember. It's something I am passionate about and it's given me a career that was (at the time when I started) only open to a few but there comes a time when the realities of life become more important than how successful your next release is. Besides, success, popularity and money was never my reason for making music, it's just a very nice bonus!

Music can pay and pay big to those wily enough to market themselves better than the next guy. There are so many bedroom producers out there now thanks to the technology becoming cheap (or even free by some means), that the quality and quantity of music has rocketed. It's boom time but very few will ever get noticed. The ones that do will have to be clever.

Unfortunately the music itself is IMHO, no longer enough to sustain yourself, especially in dance music genres, without becoming a PR and marketing expert and that is something I was never really any good at. It's also impossible to compete with the vast numbers of hungry newcomers who don't yet know their own potential and who are willing to work for nothing. There are many who will be only too willing to exploit them too.

Most successful artists have big teams of dedicated people working for them and have become brands themselves and, these brands do carry weight, enough weight to mean they are first choice when it comes to DJ bookings etc. Beneath the top flight there is another level and I've recently come to realize that it's no longer about your music or how good you are as a DJ. It is purely about where you are in the Beatport charts, the DJ mag Top100, how many likes and followers you have (real or fake), having the support of certain top DJs on their radio shows and how far you will bend over to secure a gig. It's become purely a business based on perceived popularity and that popularity is easily manipulated and faked if you have the knowledge, money, contacts and ruthlessness for doing it. It's dog-eat-dog.

I am sorry to say that, for me, the last few years have been a struggle and it wasn't until I took a step back and really looked at why I was doing this that I realized I was trying to compete with them the old skool way (i.e. let the music do the talking). That just doesn't cut it anymore and as the saying goes, 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. Then I thought, this isn't me and it's not why I make music or DJ...or at least it wasn't when I started. Music shouldn't be a competition. I realized something was very wrong.

Making a success of yourself in music requires a huge amount of dedication often at the expense of everything else in your life. You can lose touch with reality, your health can suffer and friends outside of the business can become a thing of the past but you live with it. Passion, dedication and talent was once enough at least give you a shot of making something of yourself but now it is more about the other things, the PR etc. I recently had a conversation with a good friend, a very well known producer/DJ. To me he appears to be riding high. He has always had my respect as a musician and as a person. I wanted to get his opinion on a new track because I respect him and he gives good, honest criticism but I was quite shocked after hearing him initially enthusing about the track, the melody, the arrangement and how driving it was to then say I'd wasted my time. "No one cares anymore... you really need to get yourself good PR... the music isn't that important... it won't work with DJ XYZ" those are just the bits I remember. He then went on to explain how disillusioned he was at having to spend 80% of his time on PR things and that it was all about quantity of releases over quality (even though his tunes really are amazing IMO). This made me think - Why is he doing this? Someone at that level would surely have people to do it for them but no, it came down to money. He just couldn't afford to pay people even with what appears to be his huge success. That conversation inevitably made me look at myself. Compared to him I was dead in the water!

So I've finally woken up. I need to restore my genuine passion for what I do before cynicism completely destroys it. I could go the route of getting a good PR company (actually, no I doubt I could afford that) and deliberately try to make music that will fit with what is popular but I can't bring myself to do something that will be so soul destroying. I'm getting back to making music purely as a hobby and I'm pursuing other ventures in business to pay the bills. I'll still make records, I'll still DJ if someone books me but I have to stop caring about success or maintaining this ever-diminishing career.

I guess this is me announcing my semi-retirement (if there is such a thing) and as such I want to thank you to everyone who has helped, supported, contributed and kept my name in the mix for all these years. You know who you are!

There will be more from me and who knows? Now that I've taken the pressure off myself I might actually release more music. If you like it, great! if not, do I care?

Andy (Pulser)
    Last edited by Fredjan; 09-23-2017 at 16:01 PM. Reason: Fixed date of title

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredjan For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (09-23-2017)

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 191x in 101 Posts
    Estonia
    He's absolutely right, and it's so sad. It's a cruel world out there and it never works out how you dream it would. Practically none of us get to do what we want to do the most in life.

There is so much stuff out there and so many producers. You can't stop other people from trying to do what you do, but you would hope that if only you become good enough that will do, but unfortunately it won't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (09-23-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577x in 1,104 Posts
    Sweden
    Hmm. Feels like i saw this post in around 2009~2011.
    Where is the music in todays "trance"?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (09-22-2017), rubez (09-21-2017)

Last Online
    10-13-2017 @ 22:52 PM
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 426x in 277 Posts
    Bulgaria
    That happens when Tiesto switches to pop and "real" trance fans keep supporting him instead of wasting their money for the real trance guys.

PR management? Dying trance?

Music is dying in general for a simple reason: art dies when it becomes a product. You make the first one to express youself. The second one is an order from the consumers.

It's not Tiesto's or Armin's fault. Damn, I prefer to blame the people. They are vague - spending their free time in Instagram, FB or any other app - scrolling like zombies instead of try new things or spend their time to create something.

Sorry, that's my opinion.

Last edited by N7pSTR; 09-21-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 15:26 PM
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,769x in 1,221 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by N7pSTR View Post
    Music is dying in general for a simple reason: art dies when it becomes a product. You make the first one to express youself. The second one is an order from the consumers
    Truth

Last Online
    Today @ 14:24 PM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 92x in 63 Posts
    Scotland
    this definitely seems like a statement from years ago. doesn't even make sense as a 2017 post, not sure what is going on there but...

i drool everytime i even think of haylon - starfighter. god like.

Last Online
    Today @ 14:56 PM
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 610x in 440 Posts
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Hmm. Feels like i saw this post in around 2009~2011.
    Oh wow, it's at least from 2013:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/archi...p/t-25702.html

Last Online
    Today @ 17:34 PM
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 472x in 339 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Yeah its an old post - was gutted he left the scene at the time because of these reasons. I have mixed feelings about this,if you enjoy what you do and the music you produce,then why quit..

The actual reasons he listed there for quitting i dont entirely agree with - but then i dont know his situation personally - especially when he was quite a well known producer back in the late 90's/early 2000s.

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this,if you enjoy what you do and the music you produce,then why quit..
    I'm sorry, maybe my reading comprehension isn't up to par, but where exactly did he say that he quit? What I read between the lines is that he quit trying to 'make it', all the ass kissing of djs and labels, trying to please the mainstream crowd with the sound. And instead just focuses on doing the kind of music he likes as a hobby.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    I'm sorry, maybe my reading comprehension isn't up to par, but where exactly did he say that he quit? What I read between the lines is that he quit trying to 'make it', all the ass kissing of djs and labels, trying to please the mainstream crowd with the sound. And instead just focuses on doing the kind of music he likes as a hobby.
    He did quit Trance after that post. Hasnt made anything since.

Last Online
    Today @ 15:26 PM
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,769x in 1,221 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by rubez View Post
    i drool everytime i even think of haylon - starfighter. god like.
    I never knew that this track was by Pulser. Love it.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    I never knew that this track was by Pulser. Love it.
    Hes also one half of Insigma & The Olmec Heads.

A real loss to the scene,and i just depair at those feelings he had.

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    He did quit Trance after that post. Hasnt made anything since.
    Well how do you know that? Maybe the labels haven't released his stuff, but that doesn't mean he doesn't make music anymore does it? If nobody signs your tracks, are you not a producer?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    Well how do you know that? Maybe the labels haven't released his stuff, but that doesn't mean he doesn't make music anymore does it? If nobody signs your tracks, are you not a producer?
    So hes making music but not letting anyone hear it? Hes not made anything else,trust me - we wouldve seen it crop up. Even Steve (The Thrillseekers) said he quit at the time of that post,and was gutted also.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (09-24-2017)

Last Online
    10-16-2017 @ 15:33 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts
    Brazil
    One of my favorite producers ever. Classic times where Lange, Thrillseekers and Pulser used to exchange samples and remix each other...