Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vegetariansim/Veganism

Last Online
    Today @ 13:53 PM
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,242x in 1,549 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    You don't eat fish at all?
    No mate, I do not. Maybe I will treat myself to sushi once in 3 months (because Its my favourite food). The fishing industry is a cancer to the planet, causing catastrophic collapse in marine-species on a global scale. Bad things on the horzion. This doesn't even take into account all the plastics and radiation (Fukishima) that has been pouring into our oceans for decades that the fish we eat consume. Great.

To give you an idea - http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china...ing-greenpeace

the three fish in the centre require every fish around it to grow. 3000 species for 3 fish. Unsustainable doesn't even come close to describe it. Salmon is possibly the worst culprit of them all. People really have no idea, I think.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,384x in 1,762 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    No mate, I do not. Maybe I will treat myself to sushi once in 3 months (because Its my favourite food). The fishing industry is a cancer to the planet, causing catastrophic collapse in marine-species on a global scale. Bad things on the horzion. This doesn't even take into account all the plastics and radiation (Fukishima) that has been pouring into our oceans for decades that the fish we eat consume. Great.

To give you an idea - http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china...ing-greenpeace

the three fish in the centre require every fish around it to grow. 3000 species for 3 fish. Unsustainable doesn't even come close to describe it. Salmon is possibly the worst culprit of them all. People really have no idea, I think.
    Guess I'm looking at it in a selfish way - how can I get my calories and macros, rather than thinking about the environment and all of that. You still do have 'green' tuna cans, where the brand takes care of the nature and the sustainability and whatnot. Read about it the other day. So instead of avoiding, say, fish, why don't you buy from brands that are trusted for their eco-friendly business?
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    You still do have 'green' tuna cans, where the brand takes care of the nature and the sustainability and whatnot. Read about it the other day. So instead of avoiding, say, fish, why don't you buy from brands that are trusted for their eco-friendly business?
    Eco-friendly/sustainable is unfortunately a subjective, unregulated term that is used merely as a marketing tool rather than reflecting any true reality of sustainability. Often the companies selling these products make up the committees who award such labels. Sustainable fishing does not exist...period. It's true that there are better and worse types of fish to eat, defined by things like catch methods (nets vs line), season its caught in (not in breeding cycles), workers rights, which fish (abundance species) etc... these are a drop in the ocean (lol) when compared to environmental impact defined by Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR)

FCR is the calculation how much feed you need to grow the animal. You mentioned tuna...This can have OVER a whopping 40/1 ratio...that means 40kg of feed for 1kg of tuna. Not hard to see where we are heading. You have the mammoth trawlers in the artic seas just sweeping up unfathomable amounts of small fish/plankton to feed farmed salmon/tuna etc...the eco-system is a delicate thing remember... The whole word relies on the ocean to feed it, not good when it gets emptied. Can't eat fish out of principle.
    Last edited by Hensmon; 04-11-2018 at 17:26 PM.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Eco-friendly/sustainable is unfortunately a subjective, unregulated term that is used merely as a marketing tool rather than reflecting any true reality of sustainability. Often the companies selling these products make up the committees who award such labels. Sustainable fishing does not exist...period. It's true that there are better and worse types of fish to eat, defined by things like catch methods (nets vs line), season its caught in (not in breeding cycles), workers rights, which fish (abundance species) etc... these are a drop in the ocean (lol) when compared to environmental impact defined by Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR)

FCR is the calculation how much feed you need to grow the animal. You mentioned tuna...This can have OVER a whopping 40/1 ratio...that means 40kg of feed for 1kg of tuna. Not hard to see where we are heading. You have the mammoth trawlers in the artic seas just sweeping up unfathomable amounts of small fish/plankton to feed farmed salmon/tuna etc...the eco-system is a delicate thing remember... The whole word relies on the ocean to feed it, not good when it gets emptied. Can't eat fish out of principle.
    Damn, that's a lot more and a lot worse than I ever thought. I'll still eat it - anyways, besides tuna and sardines (which I don't eat that much of anyways), I only eat fish my dad catches from the Danube river.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    I only eat fish my dad catches from the Danube river.
    Now THAT is the best way!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Now THAT is the best way!
    Well it's the Danube so it's ok, but at some canals there are some illegal practices, e.g. people who fish without permits, people that take home their catch even if it's forbidden in that period or with that weight/age. Don't even let me tell you about people who catch like 10 kg of fish and take them all home for the stories even if only 3 will feed them and most of those are too small for consumption (my friend comes to mind). And that's not industrialization, that's just regular people with no ability to see the bigger picture. The fish is regularly fed there though, year round.

Last Online
    Today @ 15:24 PM
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 100x in 75 Posts
    Netherlands
    Veganism as a dietairy choice is from utilitairan perspective at least probably the most moral one. Due to health issues I still consume animals as well as animal products but try to contain it to a minimum (both in therms of quantity and/or animal suffering)

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 15:01 PM
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 149x in 112 Posts
    Canada
    veganism is the future and that includes plant based meats/lab grown meat.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by AustralianGQ View Post
    veganism is the future and that includes plant based meats/lab grown meat.
    Then I'm glad Serbia is years behind the rest of the world. I NEED MY MEAT!

Last Online
    Today @ 14:48 PM
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566x in 949 Posts
    Netherlands
    Lab meat would still be ‘meat’ Gagi. Just not from an actual animal.

Quote Originally Posted by jetflag View Post
    Veganism as a dietairy choice is from utilitairan perspective at least probably the most moral one. Due to health issues I still consume animals as well as animal products but try to contain it to a minimum (both in therms of quantity and/or animal suffering)
    Mister Aerium is still alive. Nice one! How is producing going, did you quit?

I will start again this year.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    I'm sure you haven't eaten some freshly killed pork, roasted whole on a broach, or fresh and hot pork crackling from lard. We call that pig bonbons.

If that sounded way too harsh, let me hit you with a disclaimer. I'm ok with the reduction/elimination of mass production of meat, but if that happens I'd also like to be able to raise animals myself, or at least that local, small-scale farmers are allowed to do that, instead of large companies. Or something along those lines.

Last Online
    Today @ 15:24 PM
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 100x in 75 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post

Mister Aerium is still alive. Nice one! How is producing going, did you quit?

I will start again this year.
    And magnetic vision is a mod now, noice. good to see you here.

Still making music, though on a lower pitje, started working with a new leeuwarden based-label actually from a friend of mine, got some upcomming stuff on SQL and i've got an ambient album ou,. No major releases on the Solaris or pure imprint though, I need to step up my game for that after a long hiatus lol.

good to hear you're getting into making music again m8.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jetflag For This Useful Post:

Voci (01-14-2019)