Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the days of the classic behind us?

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:59 PM
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,344x in 1,631 Posts
    Sweden

Are the days of the classic behind us?

What do you think?

Personally I feel like that is the case. You all know where im standing regarding the downfall of trance (06) but I think the true classics even started to fade sooner than that like around 03-04.

I really hope there will be some future classics made but I really doubt it. And now I am talking classics that most people agree are classics, not just good tracks.
    #Sicknessesintheair

Say no to STEROIDS.

Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687x in 1,023 Posts
    Netherlands
    Only a handful of classics will really survive the test of time. They are indeed currently under heavy 'attack'. I guess it's because a new generation of listeners doesn't have the same nostalgic feelings for some of the tracks that we have. The ones that do survive only do because big DJ's still give them a spin.

Oh well. In the end it doesn't really matter. We enjoy what we enjoy. Although it's a pity that those big classics aren't really played out anymore. Not even in 'classic sets' or you know... at the end of a set, where one might play a classic. It's always the same few classics.
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

Last Online
    05-25-2020 @ 06:19 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 86x in 63 Posts
    Slovakia
    Yes, they are.
    "I really hope there will be some future classics made" Not possible, they must doing things simple (not over comlicated it), use old instruments or get rid of thing what is spoken here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII ,if they want to make some good tune.
    Even coments say "Basically these days its just, A bass drop or a main chorus + girls + nudity + something that brings more views"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    What do you think?
    You all know where im standing regarding the downfall of trance (06) but I think the true classics even started to fade sooner than that like around 03-04.
    Try to do some tracklist of trance songs from that time (1999-2006) and you will know when fading start.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:14 PM
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335x in 1,617 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    Although it's a pity that those big classics aren't really played out anymore. Not even in 'classic sets' or you know... at the end of a set, where one might play a classic. It's always the same few classics.
    Really? Can't remember the last Trance night I went to and no classics where played. Last one I went to few months ago I heard Born Slippy, Urban Shakedown, We Came, Simulated and an old Vibrasphere track

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:55 PM
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 924x in 655 Posts
    Mexico
    Yup, the creative types of today aren't producing Trance. They are in other genres such as synthwave and trip hop.

Last Online
    02-28-2020 @ 00:00 AM
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 87 Posts
    Netherlands
    Here we go again.

The true classics are behind us. Anything made now will just be a shadow of the early eras, that's simple.

However, i'd like to bring up the old analogy of the highschool girl you fall in love with vs. the more grown-up type of affection you may feel for a women in the present. Who marries his first love? Virtually nobody. Likewise, the classics are to be remembered with deep feelings of nostalgia and affection, but you should not live in the past. If you were born in the fifties, you would not even have come in contact with trance to begin with. Therefore, try to embrace - decide for yourself - to SEE beauty in newer tracks. It's really there, although rare! Just don't be held back by nostalgia. Everything has its time and place. Classics are made only once, what you call crap will be classics for today's youth. Just be happy that you have your classics and try to love a bit the present.

Please forgive me my post-modern point of view. I'd also give a lot to have lived 10 years earlier, just to have the experience to hear let's say Cafe del Mar going mainstream.

EDIT: Saving Light is the TOTY in ASOT. Men, this hurts. Why did nobody pick up Far From Home in 2016? So much better.
    Last edited by Pierre92; 12-22-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Last Online
    05-19-2020 @ 15:12 PM
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 335x in 209 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre92 View Post
    Here we go again.

Please forgive me my post-modern point of view. I'd also give a lot to have lived 10 years earlier, just to have the experience to hear let's say Cafe del Mar going mainstream.
    Im borned in 85 and i would give even more to go back to the days without cellphones. Man those where the days, the only thing i owned was a bicycle. If we wanted to be social we took our bikes and went to peoples doors or found them elsewhere ^^ Those where the days!

On topic: The days of classics are long gone. Yes there are songs out there which are damn good eventhough they are rare. The only problem is that they arent that good that they remain as good when x amount of years have passed.

This doesnt boil down all to trance though. It goes for litterarily any genre of music in my opinion, and the reasons stick much deeper than most people want to acknowledge. We as humans beings have become shadows of ourselves and this is reflecting itself in not only music, its everywhere.

Last Online
    02-28-2020 @ 00:00 AM
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 87 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
    We as humans beings have become shadows of ourselves and this is reflecting itself in not only music, its everywhere.
    Thank you.

Last Online
    04-17-2020 @ 21:22 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 24x in 14 Posts
    Brazil
    FACEBOOK KILLED TRANCE
    I do not live in the world of sobriety.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Devito For This Useful Post:

Hyper Drive (04-28-2018)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:14 PM
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335x in 1,617 Posts
    United Kingdom
    This doesnt boil down all to trance though. It goes for litterarily any genre of music in my opinion, and the reasons stick much deeper than most people want to acknowledge. We as humans beings have become shadows of ourselves and this is reflecting itself in not only music, its everywhere.
    Yes I agree it has happened to almost all music, but it is not because we have changed as humans (especially in such a short time of a few decades). It is globalization and the internet that revealed the huge markets/profits for shit music as most people on the planet are cool with cheese, whether it be movies or music. It just comes down to experience. Most people don't care, they are happy with consuming art like products and now this is what is exported and marketed the most.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Altair (12-23-2017), JTrancer1992 (01-06-2018)

Last Online
    05-22-2020 @ 18:59 PM
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 948x in 582 Posts
    Canada
    It all boils down to just two things: The Internet and modern recording software. Music is now easier and cheaper than ever to make - You can get a laptop, synths and virtual studios that go far beyond the (wet) dreams of any early recording pioneers for less than the price of a used car. And you don't even have to learn how to actually use any of it - just download some presets and templates from the hottest pro producers and the music can virtually arrange itself. People can make music but be lazy about it, and since there's absolutely no inherent quality barrier for distribution anymore you can showcase all your output - be it talented or lazy - wherever and whenever you want. We essentially have infinite quantity now, and because DJs, labels and radioshows have to both follow trends and consistently put out more and more material to compete we end up with endless disposable, cookie-cutter tracks, each with a shelf life of two weeks.

I've noticed that the tunes from recent years with any shot of becoming classics have had a few things in common: not only do they stand out musically and have their own identity as songs apparent (Amber vs. every other 138 track), they also tend to come from artists with a good amount of prior exposure, and they manage to get picked up and liked by enough prominent DJs that they get maximum exposure (which is why it can help if the tune is released on one of the bigger labels to begin with), and therefore replays. These elements are always in play for any classic tune, but there's so little breathing room these days that it all has to happen exactly right to even get a chance - and even then so much is left to chance.

Facebook / SoundCloud / Bandcamp

Head in the stars, heart in the sound

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

BlackScout (02-06-2018), Gagi (12-27-2017), Magdelayna (12-23-2017), Marco1979 (12-23-2017)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 15:31 PM
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198x in 830 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    It all boils down to just two things: The Internet and modern recording software. Music is now easier and cheaper than ever to make - You can get a laptop, synths and virtual studios that go far beyond the (wet) dreams of any early recording pioneers for less than the price of a used car. And you don't even have to learn how to actually use any of it - just download some presets and templates from the hottest pro producers and the music can virtually arrange itself. People can make music but be lazy about it, and since there's absolutely no inherent quality barrier for distribution anymore you can showcase all your output - be it talented or lazy - wherever and whenever you want. We essentially have infinite quantity now, and because DJs, labels and radioshows have to both follow trends and consistently put out more and more material to compete we end up with endless disposable, cookie-cutter tracks, each with a shelf life of two weeks.

I've noticed that the tunes from recent years with any shot of becoming classics have had a few things in common: not only do they stand out musically and have their own identity as songs apparent (Amber vs. every other 138 track), they also tend to come from artists with a good amount of prior exposure, and they manage to get picked up and liked by enough prominent DJs that they get maximum exposure (which is why it can help if the tune is released on one of the bigger labels to begin with), and therefore replays. These elements are always in play for any classic tune, but there's so little breathing room these days that it all has to happen exactly right to even get a chance - and even then so much is left to chance.
    Good post - i agree with any potential future classic coming from old hands - i mean when did an upcoming bedroom producer in the last few years make a track that many people consider a universal 'classic'?

The whole scene is just drowning in so much generic-ness in the 100s of releases every week.

For me personally - 'Numb The Pain' is probably the most recent classic for me - Atkinson did something magic with that tried and tested Strange World melody.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Altair (12-23-2017), Marco1979 (12-23-2017)

Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687x in 1,023 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Really? Can't remember the last Trance night I went to and no classics where played. Last one I went to few months ago I heard Born Slippy, Urban Shakedown, We Came, Simulated and an old Vibrasphere track
    Well in smaller events of course, they are played. I was at a very small trance party in Belgium last year and heard tons of not-overplayed-classics. But that doesn't really give any new exposure to the music.

My post was mainly about the classics played by the big dj's at big events. At those events it always comes down to your Superstring/Airwave/Adagio/CarteBlanche/Serenity.
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

Last Online
    Today @ 00:04 AM
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,572x in 1,908 Posts
    Serbia
    Im borned in 85 and i would give even more to go back to the days without cellphones. Man those where the days, the only thing i owned was a bicycle. If we wanted to be social we took our bikes and went to peoples doors or found them elsewhere ^^ Those where the days!
    You can still do that, can't you? Not saying literally get rid of any form of communication, I'm talking about socializing.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    05-19-2020 @ 15:12 PM
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 335x in 209 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    You can still do that, can't you? Not saying literally get rid of any form of communication, I'm talking about socializing.
    Well ofcourse you can and yes i do. But our society has become much colder in a way. People catch up on facebook, or through other social profiles online. When you meet someone, you know everything they did since last time since you met them. Before you had no idea what they had been up to and hence had a lot more to talk about.

Now if you show up to someones door without having made plans with them made upfront they would look weirdly upon you, 20 years ago you just showed up at their door as a suprise.

I travelled alot all my life, ive been to over 50 countries and the happiest people ive met has usually been in the least developed countries. The irony though is the only thing they are miserable about is that they dont come from a overdeveloped country like most of the countries we come from. They think we have it a lot better, but im not so sure we are better off though if you look at it from some perspectives ^^

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluemoon For This Useful Post:

Daysleeper (12-27-2017), JTrancer1992 (01-06-2018)