Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Armin van Buuren - Blah Blah Blah

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 14:04 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 14 Posts
    Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Actually thanks to Armin he has given Trance another 10 years of life. Think about it!
    To be honest, I don't really understand comments like this. I mean, Tiësto left Trance and the genre lived after that, I'm pretty sure the same would happen if Armin decided to do a complete departure from Trance. I didn't even get to know Trance Music through them anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JTrancer1992 For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (07-11-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 22:12 PM
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,245x in 1,551 Posts
    United Kingdom
    @JTrancer1992

Thanks to presence and success of Tiesto, PVD, Armin, Ferry et al, in the late 90’s/early 00’s Trance music became a reality and passion for people across the whole planet. Massive exposure. The scene gained potentially millions of new listeners. Without a sustained new generation of listeners Trance dies with us oldies in the forums. A 30+ year old genre can only exist with a market to sustain it over all those decades. No one enters the scene listening to 15 minute Planisphere tracks or deep progressive Breeder… you need the superstars as entry points and the collateral they leave behind is vital to the scene.

As Ive said in a previous post in this thread… Armin post 2010 has probably gained millions of new fans globally. Even if a conservative guess of 5% of those listeners desire something with more substance or explore his back catalogue then you have hundreds of thousands of new listeners supporting the music we love. The small artists simply cannot generate that. Not to mention the counter-movement said superstars generate. Its all part of the big picture if you look beyond a 5 year period. Thanks to Armins latest exploits we will have Trance for another 10 years.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Gagi (07-11-2018), PeenutsDx (07-11-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 20:27 PM
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 414x in 270 Posts
    Hong Kong
    In almost all genres of music, the underground scene feeds off the popularity (and hence money) of the mainstream market. Even though many underground, niche movements are a counter reaction to the mainstream, the former simply would not exist were it not for the latter.

If we did promote all the 'best' underground music to air on the biggest radio shows around the world, the genre would in fact die a lot quicker, because the music isn't accessible enough and people don't know how to best appreciate it. Underground music is an acquired taste, and it takes time and effort to understand and appreciate it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Gagi (07-11-2018), Hensmon (07-11-2018), point (07-11-2018)

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 355x in 191 Posts
    Estonia
    The gateway theory certainly applies, although I'm not sure this track (or any of the festival edm sound) is a gateway to trance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

JTrancer1992 (07-11-2018)

Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 14:04 PM
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 20x in 14 Posts
    Portugal
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    @JTrancer1992

Thanks to presence and success of Tiesto, PVD, Armin, Ferry et al, in the late 90’s/early 00’s Trance music became a reality and passion for people across the whole planet. Massive exposure. The scene gained potentially millions of new listeners. Without a sustained new generation of listeners Trance dies with us oldies in the forums. A 30+ year old genre can only exist with a market to sustain it over all those decades. No one enters the scene listening to 15 minute Planisphere tracks or deep progressive Breeder… you need the superstars as entry points and the collateral they leave behind is vital to the scene.

As Ive said in a previous post in this thread… Armin post 2010 has probably gained millions of new fans globally. Even if a conservative guess of 5% of those listeners desire something with more substance or explore his back catalogue then you have hundreds of thousands of new listeners supporting the music we love. The small artists simply cannot generate that. Not to mention the counter-movement said superstars generate. Its all part of the big picture if you look beyond a 5 year period. Thanks to Armins latest exploits we will have Trance for another 10 years.
    Ok, sure but that was more than 10 years ago, things have changed and Trance is no longer the powerhouse of the EDM scene. And besides, Armin won't be around for eternity, at a certain point, he'll have to retire and what will happen after that? Someone new takes over the scene or all of a sudden there will be no longer a 'king of Trance'? Harstyle lost Showtek for good and temporarily Headhunterz and the scene didn't die out because of that. Genres like Techno, Psy-Trance and Drum & Bass still have quite a good following these days and none of them resides too much on mainstream exposure, that's why I don't think Trance needs to be so dependant on the success of big names like Armin van Buuren, I don't think that's healthy for the genre, if you ask me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567