Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: Negative effects of Social Media - Facebook, Twitter and Youtube

Last Online
    11-30-2019 @ 12:34 PM
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 990x in 646 Posts
    Australia

Negative effects of Social Media - Facebook, Twitter and Youtube

So I have noticed that how social media has affected me in the process on how it can influence our behaviour and self worth. Whether it be feeling jealous of your friends that they found someone or feeling downright depressed and bitter.

I have observed that more people, are going towards psychologist because they feel depressed or don't feel like life is worth living anymore.

I have reduced my activity on Facebook because 90% of my life was spent in front of a computer and I don't think we designed to rely solely on computers.

What do you guys think? Social media did have some positive impacts with things like Youtube and being able to connect with your loved one. There are a lot more negative posts on facebook as well and on forums because of it too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Progrez For This Useful Post:

PegaSus (04-21-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 16:10 PM
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,407x in 1,780 Posts
    Serbia
    They exist. But it's just like with almost anything that has ever been created: If you consume too much, it's bad for you. Yes, a lot of young people are depending too much on social media. But it has always happened, only the tools weren't as sophisticated. When they grow to be as old as me and you (although I'm not that old and I don't know how old you are), they will realize what we are realizing right now. Life isn't social media.

I have cut back on my social media use, especially Facebook. It's liberating, really, that's why I always think highly of people who prioritize their life, and make social media second. Who don't post Instagram stories from the clubs, cars or anywhere else, really. They post what means to them, their personality rather than their ego.

I may not have really answered correctly to this, but I'll let it be. I haven't seen examples that bad (depression etc), but that it's affecting us, yeah it is. What's worse is that you can't do anything about anyone else besides yourself. So avoid it. Less people = less attention = less posts.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    11-30-2019 @ 12:34 PM
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 990x in 646 Posts
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    They exist. But it's just like with almost anything that has ever been created: If you consume too much, it's bad for you. Yes, a lot of young people are depending too much on social media. But it has always happened, only the tools weren't as sophisticated. When they grow to be as old as me and you (although I'm not that old and I don't know how old you are), they will realize what we are realizing right now. Life isn't social media.

I have cut back on my social media use, especially Facebook. It's liberating, really, that's why I always think highly of people who prioritize their life, and make social media second. Who don't post Instagram stories from the clubs, cars or anywhere else, really. They post what means to them, their personality rather than their ego.

I may not have really answered correctly to this, but I'll let it be. I haven't seen examples that bad (depression etc), but that it's affecting us, yeah it is. What's worse is that you can't do anything about anyone else besides yourself. So avoid it. Less people = less attention = less posts.
    It's always quality and not quantity when it comes to social media. I only post tracks I like and I avoid negative posts I may post my views or where I feel the scene could go towards.

Last Online
    Today @ 16:40 PM
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 536x in 326 Posts
    Bulgaria
    People will always post images with photo filters of how they smile, what they eat or how good is being their current travel...

They will never post the bad stuff.

When you compare your life with all the fake images, the fashion photos of the nice (paid) girls, the luxury cars and their joy,
    you end thinking that your life is a complete shit. That leads to depression and depression leads to other mental issues.

So no, your life is not a shit. Enjoy it, stop watching the others.
    Remember, if you're having fun - you never post it. Most of the time you're too busy, because you're enjoying the moment.
    People post because of low esteem (they need to impress and get likes) or because they are bored.

Social Media in general is a big problem for today's world.
    I'm worried.

http://time.com/4793331/instagram-so...mental-health/
    Graphic Designer from Bulgaria. Electronic lover.
    I've worked with some great DJ's.
    Portfolio here: www.dragomirbojkilov.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to N7pSTR For This Useful Post:

Arnoud (04-28-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by N7pSTR View Post
    People will always post images with photo filters of how they smile, what they eat or how good is being their current travel...

They will never post the bad stuff.

When you compare your life with all the fake images, the fashion photos of the nice (paid) girls, the luxury cars and their joy,
    you end thinking that your life is a complete shit. That leads to depression and depression leads to other mental issues.

So no, your life is not a shit. Enjoy it, stop watching the others.
    Remember, if you're having fun - you never post it. Most of the time you're too busy, because you're enjoying the moment.
    People post because of low esteem (they need to impress and get likes) or because they are bored.

Social Media in general is a big problem for today's world.
    I'm worried.

http://time.com/4793331/instagram-so...mental-health/
    Yeah but this is old news, isn't it? People have been idolizing and comparing themselves to celebrities long before Instagram. Instagram only brought consistency to the whole situation - you check Instagram more often than you would see news about your idol on the TV.

I think people (that get depressed because of this) are depressed more because they have set wrong goals for themselves. In some way, it seems like they want to. That survey is a bit contradicting as well. If you're getting depressed on Instagram, why are you following what you clearly know isn't good for you? If you're not getting depressed, how can you say that it depresses you?

Not saying that it isn't true, because, in theory, it can be. It's just that people seem to blame it all on the social network, which is quite easier than looking at yourself and acting on it.

I agree on the stuff you said about fun and how you never post that. The reason I don't have many photos, especially selfies. And the need to post because of self-validation. That's why I always try to avoid people who just post all they long, and follow those who post rarely, but something that really means to them or at least show their personality instead of ego.

Last Online
    Today @ 16:40 PM
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 536x in 326 Posts
    Bulgaria
    Gagi, I'm talking about the people, not about me.
    I'm not sure if they realize how harmful social media is, specially in materialistic countries like yours or mine.
    Of course people have been idolizing celebrities, but it's not about them. Social media users have the feeling that "almost everyone" has better life than them. It's this scrolling... those infinite beautiful girls and the happy faces of yours friends.

There a lot of people living in a mirage.

Graphic Designer from Bulgaria. Electronic lover.
    I've worked with some great DJ's.
    Portfolio here: www.dragomirbojkilov.com

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by N7pSTR View Post
    Gagi, I'm talking about the people, not about me.
    I'm not sure if they realize how harmful social media is, specially in materialistic countries like yours or mine.
    Of course people have been idolizing celebrities, but it's not about them. Social media users have the feeling that "almost everyone" has better life than them. It's this scrolling... those infinite beautiful girls and the happy faces of yours friends.

There a lot of people living in a mirage.

Yeah, I know. I could see from your post that your thoughts align more or less with mine on this matter. And again I agree. It's something you do have to realize, and once you do you're free of that. It will come with age. You can't blame 16-year-olds for not yet realizing it.

Last Online
    11-01-2019 @ 13:37 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 78x in 60 Posts
    Slovakia
    Very good lecture about this is from Manfred Spitzer Digital dementia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBopndZ4uhI

Gagi says: "But it's just like with almost anything that has ever been created: If you consume too much, it's bad for you"
    I have few 20 years old co-workers who eats absolutelly everything and when i asked them why do they eat so much junk food, that is bad for their health, they answer me- "I do not care if i died at 30 years old or 70.
    As for food, same applies for the social media you must to know what information you look on, what you share, what you want to see.
    Last edited by Nerio; 04-23-2018 at 22:14 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerio For This Useful Post:

Gagi (04-23-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 17:39 PM
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,260x in 1,563 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Progrez View Post
    So I have noticed that how social media has affected me in the process on how it can influence our behaviour and self worth. Whether it be feeling jealous of your friends that they found someone or feeling downright depressed and bitter.
    Facebook - Use the un-follow button as much as you can. I have un-followed 90% of people I know and the 10% I have left are close friends and dont really post on social media anyway. That makes a ton of room in your feed for all the musicians, artists, film blogs, hobby pages etc you have 'liked'. Your feed takes on a new form and for me I find this to be the best use of Facebook. None of this stalking friends lifes bullshit.

Instagram = worst platform online.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Gagi (05-04-2018)