Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magdelayna - The Last Flight Of Icarus [Bandcamp Release]

Last Online
    08-13-2018 @ 09:52 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 24x in 17 Posts
    Netherlands

Magdelayna - The Last Flight Of Icarus [Bandcamp Release]

This is finally out! Taken from the Magdelayna FB page :

''The Last Flight Of Icarus'' is released today on Bandcamp!

This is a 10 minute progressive Trance journey,and it is a free download although you can choose to 'donate' while purchasing if you would like to show some support in what i do.

Available in full glorious WAV format - the link is below''

LINK >> https://magdelayna.bandcamp.com/trac...ight-of-icarus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Goury-Fella For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 19:40 PM
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 586x in 445 Posts
    Netherlands
    Just bought it. This is marvelous trance music and no label want to sign it (the big players out there).
    The WHOLE trancescene is a total joke these days. Lovely piece of music.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marco1979 For This Useful Post:

Bensonw3x (08-01-2018), Magdelayna (08-02-2018), Tievb21 (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Can someone of the so called ' trance' names (or labels) explain why this is not good enough for a release? I don't get it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco1979 For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 287x in 157 Posts
    Estonia
    Why something does or does not get signed is just impossible to explain, as there's no consistency in the quality. Had this been sent to every trance label there is, it would have probably have been signed, but if it's only being sent to let's say 5 places, then it just comes down to personal preference and the sound those 5 labels / A&Rs.

But if I can speculate, here's couple of reasons why someone wouldn't take this:

1) It's long, and it's not really long in the progressive sense. Meaning different parts and themes keeping all the add/adhd people interested no matter how long it is. It's long in the same sense ambient is long, slowly building soundscape that really works best when you don't think about it too much but just let it play in the background and let your mind wonder.

2) The production quality of it is dated, and doesn't represent the current trends of production techniques. It's very dynamic, and these days more or less every individual track goes through regular compression and tape saturation compression, with final master compression on top of it. Which works well when you keep it subtle and don't go overboard.

A lot of times when you use a compressor in rock music, you don't really want to hear it that much, you just want the benefit of keeping the levels somewhat balanced. In electronic music however everything has to be to the max, compressors, distortions, reverbs, the resonance knob of tb-303, whatever it is, it's being dialed up so that everyone and their grandma can hear it. I blame the amateur-ness of electronic producers, they don't have (or didn't have) the proper technical sound engineering skills and training, so they just went overboard with everything and this happened to create the trends and current sound of electronic music. The modern hiphop scene has the same problem.

3) The sounds used are dated. Goes hand in hand with the previous point, but the synth and drum sounds used here don't represent what is currently "in" and mostly used in modern trance tracks. I think sound-wise this would have been a perfect fit for whichever 1997-2001 trance label's catalogue. So maybe for some (like Solarstone) this may represent the past, the sound they've already done, and some just want to release whatever everyone else is currently releasing.
    Last edited by point; 08-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

Gagi (08-02-2018), Magdelayna (08-02-2018), Marco1979 (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:25 PM
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,966x in 1,451 Posts
    Serbia
    Starts too sudden, with that atmosphere hit. You could've made just an atmosphere riser from the same sample, only a few seconds before the start of the track, to sort of slowly gets us into the journey that's to follow. When it comes to progressive, sudden and loud sounds can be really counterproductive, if not done right.

One thing left to be desired is a little bit of variation. Once it gets going, it seems to stay that way for quite some time, in terms of drums, bass and the main melody. It's a journey this way too and it isn't really that big of a deal, but I just want a bit more development. I know the counter melodies and little elements come and go, but it's really not that easily noticeable when you have everything else almost the same. Just take away some element here and there, is my suggestion. Let us earn it, want it.

I know these suggestions are hard to do and get right, but it is still an awesome track and it's hard to make that too so I know you can do it.

I love the attention to detail that went into the FX, percussion and drums. Little things like these can really set the track apart from the rest. Love it. It's your classic progressive output, and I prefer it to your spacey uplifting sound (which I loved when I discovered you), so I'm glad you're trying new things out. Those old-school progressive mixes paid out big time in terms of inspiration. The counter melodies are brilliant and make the track for me. They just scream Airwave in '05-'07. The whole track is the proof that, even with a clean and well-polished production, you can still make something amazing.

All in all: Love it. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Gagi; 08-02-2018 at 13:05 PM.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    3) The sounds used are dated. ... and drum sounds used here don't represent what is currently "in" and mostly used in modern trance tracks.
    Disagree. The drum sounds here are clean and well polished. They are comparable to the modern Thrillseekers drum sounds, only a bit less beefy to complement the style of music being produced.

But generally speaking, yeah, you're right, mostly the sounds don't fit into what's currently out there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    @
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 287x in 157 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    They are comparable to the modern Thrillseekers drum sounds
    I don't hear it, Thrillseekers uses very processed and snappy drum sounds, at least in Amber. If you listen to the intro the feel is almost psytrance like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvntPxRkkLY

14. The Following User Says Thank You to point For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 814x in 560 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Yes folks,its out now on Bandcamp! A big thanks to guys like @Marco1979 and anyone else who have also given me a donation when downloading the track - very much appreciated and thankful of the support!!

@point - i agree with most of your words,i 'know' why the decent labels wouldnt sign this - it is too long,but ive purposefully 'strung' out all the building/progressive elements of the track,as my main inspiration was a 'Lady Blue' style of production as ive stated before - which was well over 10 minutes also. Labels would normally ask you to cut 2-3 minutes off,which i wouldnt do as it goes against what i wanted the track to sound like.

About the drums etc. sounding dated - i have actually used very modern Sunny Lax/Activa & Thrillseekers drum loops & fx here hehe! I do understand though the general sound i use arnt the 'in' thing these days - another reason labels wouldnt sign - a point i know myself and quite a few people dont agree on hehe.

Just to note that i only sent this to well known labels - not really any small indie ones,otherwise it wouldve got signed no doubt - but i didnt want it going to any random label...where the track would disappear into a nothing-ness Beatport release,you have the risk of bad artwork attached to it,they might get some guy to remix it with a sledgehammer kick and generic template,i didnt really want that.

And its true most of these labels didnt even LISTEN to it over a period of 4 months of waiting (through a private Soundcloud link they asked for on their promo needs).

i had a few labels saying it 'wasnt for them' which is understandable.

I have sent it direct to Rich Solarstone,but he hasnt listened yet as it looks hes busy on tour - would be interesting to hear what he thinks of it as the Pure Trance label is the kind of destination id be going for.

i think basically it needs a little more 'extra' elements to the production to appeal to these labels - more of a stronger riff,getting to the main meat of the track quicker etc.

But i know all this as a producer and its just a case of learning as you go on,improving a bit at a time.

My next original will be close to this style,but probably a bit faster and have a more Trancier,thougtht provoking melody,and of course id be trying with labels again next time...iam quite happy with my production quality now,but of course theres always those extra steps to getting it sound more professional.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    I don't hear it, Thrillseekers uses very processed and snappy drum sounds, at least in Amber. If you listen to the intro the feel is almost psytrance like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvntPxRkkLY
    I said only less beefy, and I meant the drums only. But it's clean as well without being over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    i have actually used very modern Sunny Lax/Activa & Thrillseekers drum loops & fx here hehe
    Aha! @point

Just to note that i only sent this to well known labels - not really any small indie ones,otherwise it wouldve got signed no doubt - but i didnt want it going to any random label...where the track would disappear into a nothing-ness Beatport release,you have the risk of bad artwork attached to it,they might get some guy to remix it with a sledgehammer kick and generic template,i didnt really want that.
    Props for that. I appreciate this a lot, and can relate to it in some way. The market is pretty saturated anyways, it's questionable as to how many people would notice your track (without radio shows, at least, but that's over-saturated as well) had you released it on an average label. Earnings too.

I think this is pretty effective as well. You have your platforms and your followers, and if they decide to promote it further it might be even better than a label - more often I'd listen to something because someone said it was good than I'd do on my own account.

And if someone generous decides to chip in a few dollars, 80% of that goes to you anyways. The labels first have a minimum threshold that they keep, after which it's 50-50 or whatever.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    The sounds used are dated.
    Imo labels must forget about this and think about the emotions and quality of a trance track and not only focusing on festival releases. Is dated bad, bullshit ,that is where it all started and we have those amazing classics (also dated) from that style and period.
    But totally ignore good trance music is stupid and so this kind of trance music (outdated by some) dies very soon. Makes me sad somehow.
    Last edited by Marco1979; 08-02-2018 at 18:42 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco1979 For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 AM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 52x in 33 Posts
    Russian Federation

I have sent it direct to Rich Solarstone,but he hasnt listened yet as it looks hes busy on tour - would be interesting to hear what he thinks of it as the Pure Trance label is the kind of destination id be going for.
    To be honest I'd be surprised if Rich doesn't like this tune, should be up his street.
    Owner of Forescape Digital Records.

Resident at Digitally Imported Progressive (Late Night Grooves).

Guest on Rank 1's 'Radio Rush' 040 and 046.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to enlusion For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    and of course id be trying with labels again next time...
    Don't change your amazing productions and style for this shitty big 'trance'labels out there mate. And like other stated the sounds don't fit with what currently out there.Fuck that, Otherwise we've got another copycat to fit in the new emd sounds. Anyway,thanks for the amazing track.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco1979 For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by enlusion View Post
    To be honest I'd be surprised if Rich doesn't like this tune, should be up his street.
    Yes - he supported his chillout releases, right? Although it surprises me how he didn't yet see it. Slam Duck told me he got his 2-track release Mercury approved 5 minutes within sending an email to him (and those tracks aren't common nowadays, just like this one). But he has an agent if I'm not mistaken, so there might be something to that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    But he has an agent if I'm not mistaken
    Too busy I guess, and it is awarded to him. But if this whole 'trancescene'depends on one guy for tracks like this (or recently allende) , it's obvious we sunk very very deep.
    Last edited by Marco1979; 08-02-2018 at 20:00 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco1979 For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (08-02-2018)

Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 814x in 560 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco1979 View Post
    Don't change your amazing productions and style for this shitty big 'trance'labels out there mate. And like other stated the sounds don't fit with what currently out there.Fuck that, Otherwise we've got another copycat to fit in the new emd sounds. Anyway,thanks for the amazing track.
    Dont worry,i will never change! I will only try and improve. The last two originals : 'Remember' and this track,were an exercise in getting my production quality much better - using better quality instruments etc.

My stuff in previous years has been guilty of being quite 'muddy',something im trying to get rid of..

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Marco1979 (08-03-2018)