Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding other people in real life that share your music taste

Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 831x in 575 Posts
    Mexico

Finding other people in real life that share your music taste

Hey, TranceFix!

I remember reading a post on here that mentioned how those of us who like Trance tend to gravitate toward electronic music genres that are well-produced. So we're not going to be spontaneously listening to country or blues, which are far more mainstream. It might have been @Daysleeper who said that.

Have you meet people in real life who share your music taste? How was it?

I would imagine it'd be uncommon, since most people seem to listen to non-electronic music and hip hop/rap or reggaeton.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 01-20-2019 at 19:27 PM.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,407x in 1,780 Posts
    Serbia
    I did when I listened to the regular stuff. However, I've always been kind of a hipster, going against the grain so I'm used to listening to what others aren't. Now my taste is so complicated that I can't find anyone whose taste matches with mine completely... Not even you guys!

But honestly I don't really care about finding someone anymore. Few years ago I'd get frustrated when I'm drinking with my friends while listening to crap music (majority rule), now I've become numb to that. I block the crap music out completely, sometimes when I go out and have a few drinks in me, I won't even acknowledge the music. Just focus on the fun.

To go even further than that, I actually don't know what satisfaction meeting someone with a similar taste would bring me. I'd like to meet someone who shares my values and worldview, who I could go do stuff with that I can't do with my current friends (like hiking, discussing about life, books, philosophy etc). Compared to that, music becomes a bit meaningless - and I've noticed a trend, a declining meaning I attribute to music.

Trance, as a genre, and similar ones, are way too introspective and its listeners probably more introverted anyways. If you listen to well-crafted music that has some meaning, you will feel it, but you won't be able to put that in words, will you? So what can you do, just tell each other what tracks to listen to? Discuss what track has a steroid kick or something?

I'd assume meeting someone with a similar taste is not really special - maybe an exception is if that guy is also a producer and then you can exchange ideas.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (07-08-2019), Fredjan (01-21-2019)

Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,121x in 778 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Is there a Tinder for Trance?

Trinder?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

Arnoud (08-21-2019), Fredjan (01-21-2019), Gagi (01-21-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    I did when I listened to the regular stuff. However, I've always been kind of a hipster, going against the grain so I'm used to listening to what others aren't. Now my taste is so complicated that I can't find anyone whose taste matches with mine completely... Not even you guys!
    Haha, of course not. It'd be really hard to match one's exact musical taste. For example, I'd bet you like tracks from Serbian musicians people outside the country have never heard. Similarly, I like music from Mexican musicians that people here have probably never heard of. *puts on hipster glasses*
    (That really is just due to language/cultural/geographical boundaries.)

But honestly I don't really care about finding someone anymore. Few years ago I'd get frustrated when I'm drinking with my friends while listening to crap music (majority rule), now I've become numb to that. I block the crap music out completely, sometimes when I go out and have a few drinks in me, I won't even acknowledge the music. Just focus on the fun.
    Same. Sometimes I do like the music that's being played. For example, I really like Travis Scott's Astroworld, which was a big hit in the US last year. Sometimes the music is pretty bad, but that's okay as long as people are having fun.
    It's just weird to realize that you can have very niche tastes (ex. atmospheric DnB, glitch, trip hop, early Dubstep) but almost no one else to talk with about them. Then again, I'm an early 20s-something dude in the US, so probably just a case of wrong place, wrong time.

To go even further than that, I actually don't know what satisfaction meeting someone with a similar taste would bring me. I'd like to meet someone who shares my values and worldview, who I could go do stuff with that I can't do with my current friends (like hiking, discussing about life, books, philosophy etc). Compared to that, music becomes a bit meaningless - and I've noticed a trend, a declining meaning I attribute to music.

Trance, as a genre, and similar ones, are way too introspective and its listeners probably more introverted anyways. If you listen to well-crafted music that has some meaning, you will feel it, but you won't be able to put that in words, will you? So what can you do, just tell each other what tracks to listen to? Discuss what track has a steroid kick or something?

I'd assume meeting someone with a similar taste is not really special - maybe an exception is if that guy is also a producer and then you can exchange ideas.
    You're right. I once met a guy at my university that liked RJD2, and he recommended me to listen to one of his very early albums. That's about as far as our interaction went.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 01-21-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    Haha, of course not. It'd be really hard to match one's exact musical taste. For example, I'd bet you like tracks from Serbian musicians people outside the country have never heard. Similarly, I like music from Mexican musicians that people here have probably never heard of. *puts on hipster glasses*
    (That really is just due to language/cultural/geographical boundaries.)
    Of course, but I didn't mean it like that. It's just that I like(d) a boy band called US5, and at the same time like classical music, for instance. I like Armin's pop side, I also like his classics. Our core tastes might match, but they are always gonna differ a bit (even more so if you count the language-specific/non-English music).

Same. Sometimes I do like the music that's being played. For example, I really like Travis Scott's Astroworld, which was a big hit in the US last year. Sometimes the music is pretty bad, but that's okay as long as people are having fun.
    It's just weird to realize that you can have very niche tastes (ex. atmospheric DnB, glitch, trip hop, early Dubstep) but almost no one else to talk with about them. Then again, I'm an early 20s-something dude in the US, so probably just a case of wrong place, wrong time.
    The more underground you go, the less people you're gonna find there. Just how it works, you know that without me saying.

You're right. I once met a guy at my university that liked RJD2, and he recommended me to listen to one of his very early albums. That's about as far as our interaction went.
    Aaaaand that's exactly why I think forums are a better place for the discussions about music. Aside the fact that it connects people with similar tastes and preferences (which geographically wasn't possible), you also get the chance to listen to what you're suggested when you want it, time to think and suggest something back. It's practical as hell too.

When I worked out with a guy I know is very much into rap, our playlists were all over the place. We wouldn't let a track finish, it was always: "Oh wait, take a listen to this! This is even better!"

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Met a guy who's very into trance! By chance, him and I are interns at the same company.

But...his definition of trance is Bjorn Akesson, and when I said I listen to older trance, he says: "But this track is from 2014"...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (07-09-2019), TranceFinland (08-24-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:02 PM
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    I started working in a new position as head of digital marketing agency this January. Couple of weeks ago we had a nice teamevent and did some various activities together and tried to get to know each other better as well.
    As a total surprise i found out that one of my project managers is actually into trance as well. So life can surprise you with that.
    Otherwise, as trance is totally underground now here, best bet would be to actually go to some of those events that get hosted every now and then and just chat up.
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tep For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (07-09-2019), Gagi (07-08-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    Is there a Tinder for Trance?

Trinder?
    I've heard it might be this one. All the guys are really friendly too!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Magdelayna (07-08-2019)

Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,121x in 778 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Do any of you guys on here go to Lumi?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    Met a guy who's very into trance! By chance, him and I are interns at the same company.

But...his definition of trance is Bjorn Akesson, and when I said I listen to older trance, he says: "But this track is from 2014"...
    Haha, relatable.
    One of my friends in college also likes electronic music and found out about Trance due to ASOT.
    I later showed him Cafe del Mar, Dancing Galaxy, and the Tiesto remix of Silence. Good times.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 07-09-2019 at 19:32 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fredjan For This Useful Post:

Gagi (07-09-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 20:28 PM
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,562 Posts
    United Kingdom
    For Trance; All my friends have been massively into electronic music, all forms and with very good taste (no EDM lovers), but maybe 5 or 6 out of 50 like Trance music and possibly 1 or 2 actually 'follow' it. I personally think it is a hard genre to follow and if your not keeping up with the scene and dedicated enough to dig a little (or a lot) you will just hear the crap stuff and loose interest.

The only place where I come across Trance lovers with great to exceptional taste is the internet, mainly this forum. Never come across a Trance person who would know Quadran - No Air or anything slightly obscure.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    Never come across a Trance person who would know Quadran - No Air or anything slightly obscure.
    One of the greatest trance tracks. Can't even remember how I found out about it, it was probably by accident (a random YouTube suggestion I clicked on with no apparent reason). Just tells you how underrated or just really obscure it is.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 20:28 PM
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,259x in 1,562 Posts
    United Kingdom
    One of the greatest trance tracks.
    I tried this one with a friend who was just getting into Trance but for him I think it was too slow and not energetic or interesting enough. He was more into the old Ferry Corsten hits which is exactly what got me into Trance as well. Not sure if I would have been into Quadran when I was 17-20, I wanted the euphoric and harder stuff all the time.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (08-19-2019), Gagi (07-12-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    For Trance; All my friends have been massively into electronic music, all forms and with very good taste (no EDM lovers), but maybe 5 or 6 out of 50 like Trance music and possibly 1 or 2 actually 'follow' it. I personally think it is a hard genre to follow and if your not keeping up with the scene and dedicated enough to dig a little (or a lot) you will just hear the crap stuff and loose interest.

The only place where I come across Trance lovers with great to exceptional taste is the internet, mainly this forum. Never come across a Trance person who would know Quadran - No Air or anything slightly obscure.
    Haven't really kept up with Trance since Numb the Push and Anahera, but I'm all for that sweet trippy spacey cyberpunky early 90s trance

Last Online
    10-28-2019 @ 23:37 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 4x in 2 Posts
    United States
    Country music is popular where I live, and not many people know about electronic music. I recently became friends with a local DJ who plays a variety of stuff but has a basic familiarity with trance. Other than that, the only common ground I've found is with classical music.