Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57

Thread: [OUT] JOOF EDITIONS - VOL.5 (John 00 Fleming, Gai Barone, Paul Thomas, Tim Penner) [JOOF RECORDINGS]

  1. #16
    Sleepy Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 18:43 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked 210x in 169 Posts
    Netherlands
    How come it's all progressive house? Is JOOF ditching trance too now?

    -Edit- A quick listening to some of the tracks it's luckily not the dull kind of prog house. I do hear melody's and such.
    But the chance you'll find me listening to 7.5 hours of this is small though.

    Overall i think JOOF is a great label and i always look forward to the monthly radio show.
    Last edited by Sleepy Robot; 03-08-2019 at 17:09 PM.

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 20:46 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33x in 11 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Robot View Post
    How come it's all progressive house? Is JOOF ditching trance too now?

    -Edit- A quick listening to some of the tracks it's luckily not the dull kind of prog house. I do hear melody's and such.
    But the chance you'll find me listening to 7.5 hours of this is small though.

    Overall i think JOOF is a great label and i always look forward to the monthly radio show.

    Not wanting to derail this topic, but this debate is probably worth starting a new thread.

    In our eyes most of John's set is Trance, but to the new generation its Progressive House.
    As John often quotes, 'some of the iconic Trance classics that made the genre so great such as 'Cafe del mar' if released today would be classed as Progressive House. Thats how blurred the Trance genre has become today.

    History is repeating itself, many saying this is the rebirth of the original spirit of Trance in its Progressive Trance form. Or what do we call it? Never forget the roots of were Trance music came from, it was born off the back of Techno as its hypnotic psychedelic cousin in the late 80's.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen JOOF For This Useful Post:

    Marco1979 (03-08-2019), Sleepy Robot (03-08-2019)

  4. #18
    Marco1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 14:41 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    2,319
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,373
    Thanked 661x in 502 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen JOOF View Post
    In our eyes most of John's set is Trance, but to the new generation its Progressive House.
    Just curious Glenn and a bit of-topic of course. You guys releasing trance music as progressive house nowadays, and we both know the reason of this...

    Why is John attending at ASOT? Because in an interview earlier he explains trance will come back stronger than ever if some superstar dj's drop the name trance in their radioshow. Those guys are playing and releasing non- trance as trance music.See beneath. Is it because John thinks it's better promoting good underground trance music(on ASOT) to stay away from such a big event (ASOT parties)? Better promote instead of to absent oneself.

    Fueling the flames, he quipped, are certain DJs considered as “leaders” in the trance scene who helped push the genre forward in its early days and still carry its banner despite evolving more into the commercial realm after reaching superstardom. He understands why they do so, however — it all comes down to credibility in the end.

    The problem is, “When you look at all these brands, which are branded with the trance name in them and it’s blatantly not trance, it just causes more confusion,” explained Fleming. It’s frustrating and disappointing to watch people’s perception of the genre he’s spent so much time developing change toward a negative direction as a result of such confusion.

    He’s not alone in this sentiment: “many say this behind the scenes but never speak out loud.”

    Will trance ever enjoy the credibility it once had as a serious genre? Can history come full circle?

    A bittersweet shadow invaded John’s voice as he mapped out his view. He knows what could catalyze a swift recovery of trance, arguing, “If these people [the top tier DJs] drop their trance branding and started something new, then that would be the start of helping to clear things up in the trance world.” However, he doubts much will change until that happens.


    https://dancingastronaut.com/2017/01...erview-trance/
    Last edited by Marco1979; 03-08-2019 at 18:16 PM.

  5. #19
    Sleepy Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 18:43 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    683
    Thanked 210x in 169 Posts
    Netherlands
    @Glen JOOF, thanks for your answer.

    So that's the reason why Nekyia (Facade Remix) is labelled as trance on the original Forescape Digital release but now on this album all the sudden has become progressive house. It's really confusing i think. Progressive House is becoming one huge container this way, if it ain't that already.
    Last edited by Sleepy Robot; 03-08-2019 at 18:42 PM.

  6. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 20:46 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33x in 11 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco1979 View Post
    Just curious Glenn and a bit of-topic of course. You guys releasing trance music as progressive house nowadays, and we both know the reason of this...

    Why is John attending at ASOT? Because in an interview earlier he explains trance will come back stronger than ever if some superstar dj's drop the name trance in their radioshow. Those guys are playing and releasing non- trance as trance music.See beneath. Is it because John thinks it's better promoting good underground trance music(on ASOT) to stay away from such a big event (ASOT parties)? Better promote instead of to absent oneself.

    Fueling the flames, he quipped, are certain DJs considered as “leaders” in the trance scene who helped push the genre forward in its early days and still carry its banner despite evolving more into the commercial realm after reaching superstardom. He understands why they do so, however — it all comes down to credibility in the end.

    The problem is, “When you look at all these brands, which are branded with the trance name in them and it’s blatantly not trance, it just causes more confusion,” explained Fleming. It’s frustrating and disappointing to watch people’s perception of the genre he’s spent so much time developing change toward a negative direction as a result of such confusion.

    He’s not alone in this sentiment: “many say this behind the scenes but never speak out loud.”

    Will trance ever enjoy the credibility it once had as a serious genre? Can history come full circle?

    A bittersweet shadow invaded John’s voice as he mapped out his view. He knows what could catalyze a swift recovery of trance, arguing, “If these people [the top tier DJs] drop their trance branding and started something new, then that would be the start of helping to clear things up in the trance world.” However, he doubts much will change until that happens.


    https://dancingastronaut.com/2017/01...erview-trance/

    I can answer the question from a record label manger perspective (I've been 20 years at JOOF) , Beatport often move releases to genres they chose, it's frustrating and something many labels go through.

    In todays market place however, the specialist/underground target audience can be found in Progressive House, Techno etc, if we release specialist 'Trance' in the Trance section of Beatport, it gets completely overlooked. Just look at the current shop window to Trance in Beatport top 100, its full power festival vocal esq tracks, people won't be looking for specialist music here. Trance/Progressive Trance is being released in Progressive House due to this, it's all confusion.

    Regarding John and Armin, they are very good friends. Armin really cares about all aspects of Trance and how the conversation came around to support the Progressive wing of Trance and for John to help him out as he sees Johns passion supporting this scene. It worked and we're seeing the growth of the stage and this scene in general growing.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen JOOF For This Useful Post:

    Marco1979 (03-08-2019), Sleepy Robot (03-08-2019)

  8. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 20:46 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33x in 11 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Robot View Post
    @Glen JOOF, thanks for your answer.

    So that's the reason why Nekyia (Facade Remix) is labelled as trance on the original Forescape Digital release but now on this album all the sudden has become progressive house. It's really confusing i think. Progressive House is becoming one huge container this way, if it ain't that already.
    See the answer above ^^^

    It is confusion, that particular track probably got overlooked by many first time round due to it being originally released in Trance, as per experience in the past, by simply moving them to Progressive House they get discovered by the correct audience and supported.

    Ideally we need another Trance genre, something John is working on with Beatport.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Glen JOOF For This Useful Post:

    Sleepy Robot (03-08-2019)

  10. #22
    enlusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 21:23 PM
    Location
    Moscow
    Gender
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 88x in 58 Posts
    Russian Federation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Robot View Post
    @Glen JOOF, thanks for your answer.

    So that's the reason why Nekyia (Facade Remix) is labelled as trance on the original Forescape Digital release but now on this album all the sudden has become progressive house. It's really confusing i think. Progressive House is becoming one huge container this way, if it ain't that already.
    Well I couldn't tag that one as Progressive House as 90% of progressive DJs like Cid Inc or Hernan Cattaneo don't play this kind of music and just click "Not For Me" and unsubscribe from my promo pool. In my opinion It's Trance music too.
    Last edited by enlusion; 03-09-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    Owner of Forescape Digital Records.

    Resident at Digitally Imported DJ Mixes channel (Late Night Grooves).

    Guest on Rank 1's 'Radio Rush' 040 and 046

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to enlusion For This Useful Post:

    Sleepy Robot (03-09-2019)

  12. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 20:46 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33x in 11 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by enlusion View Post
    Well I couldn't tag that one as Progressive House as 90% of progressive DJs like Cid Inc or Hernan Cattaneo don't play this kind of music and just click "Not For Me" and unsubscribe from my promo pool. In my opinion It's Trance music too.
    From evidence seen 90% of Trance DJ's like Armin, Cosmic Gate, John Askew, Simon Patterson etc haven't supported it either. So here lays the problem, it doesn't fit in either world.

    Keep an eye on John's socials as he's going to open up a discussion about this.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen JOOF For This Useful Post:

    enlusion (03-09-2019), Sleepy Robot (03-09-2019)

  14. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 143x in 117 Posts
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen JOOF View Post
    From evidence seen 90% of Trance DJ's like Armin, Cosmic Gate, John Askew, Simon Patterson etc haven't supported it either. So here lays the problem, it doesn't fit in either world.

    Keep an eye on John's socials as he's going to open up a discussion about this.
    You claim that sales are down, yet you seem to get a stage for ASOT. Someone is losing ground here or skewing the facts here. People that want to buy music, will buy it but you trying to create another genre is just going to add to the problem not make things better for both fans and yourself.

  15. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked 143x in 117 Posts
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen JOOF View Post
    See the answer above ^^^

    It is confusion, that particular track probably got overlooked by many first time round due to it being originally released in Trance, as per experience in the past, by simply moving them to Progressive House they get discovered by the correct audience and supported.

    Ideally we need another Trance genre, something John is working on with Beatport.
    Uh...no. Both the Trance genre and Progressive house genre at beatport has been butchered to hell because hey, why not? But keep adding more sub-genres thinking that is going to fix the problem.
    Last edited by Contact; 03-09-2019 at 11:36 AM.

  16. #26
    enlusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 21:23 PM
    Location
    Moscow
    Gender
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 88x in 58 Posts
    Russian Federation
    Doesn't matter how much you've done for the scene, there will always be people like Contact who are impossible to convince in anything. They live in their own world where all DJs are shit and doing wrong things.

    Those artists who you promote here don't care about any support from DJs as they don't send out any promo campaigns and don't promote their releases in any way, looks like they're completely OK with that and you are not, this is ridiculous.
    Owner of Forescape Digital Records.

    Resident at Digitally Imported DJ Mixes channel (Late Night Grooves).

    Guest on Rank 1's 'Radio Rush' 040 and 046

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enlusion For This Useful Post:

    DannyZero (03-09-2019), Glen JOOF (03-09-2019), Sleepy Robot (03-09-2019)

  18. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    04-02-2019 @ 20:46 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 33x in 11 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Contact View Post
    You claim that sales are down, yet you seem to get a stage for ASOT. Someone is losing ground here or skewing the facts here. People that want to buy music, will buy it but you trying to create another genre is just going to add to the problem not make things better for both fans and yourself.

    I’m not going to waste anymore time on negative people like you, as you are the root problem.
    Whilst John and Armin (+ many others working dam hard like Solarstone, John Askew, Aly & Fila etc) are investing back into this wonderful Trance genre and making good ground building things, there will always be people like you, criticising from the sidelines.


    Either get involved helping, or try to stop being a keyboard warrior. Accept there will always be different flavours to the Trance genre.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glen JOOF For This Useful Post:

    DannyZero (03-09-2019), Hensmon (04-10-2019)

  20. #28
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,484
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    500
    Thanked 1,015x in 693 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen JOOF View Post
    Not wanting to derail this topic, but this debate is probably worth starting a new thread.

    In our eyes most of John's set is Trance, but to the new generation its Progressive House.
    As John often quotes, 'some of the iconic Trance classics that made the genre so great such as 'Cafe del mar' if released today would be classed as Progressive House. Thats how blurred the Trance genre has become today.

    History is repeating itself, many saying this is the rebirth of the original spirit of Trance in its Progressive Trance form. Or what do we call it? Never forget the roots of were Trance music came from, it was born off the back of Techno as its hypnotic psychedelic cousin in the late 80's.
    I remember in the sleevenotes of the first Euphoria (1999,mixed by PF Project) there was no word of 'Trance' anywhere...in fact it was just called House. And now you look back,that CD is full of the so called Trance anthems hehe.

    There a very blurred line between what is Deep/Progressive House and what is Progressive Trance. I mean,what would describe what Deep Dish were playing in the early 2000's?

    But having said all that - who really cares? People bring the subject up way too often on here...

  21. #29
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,484
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    500
    Thanked 1,015x in 693 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco1979 View Post

    Why is John attending at ASOT?
    What a stupid question that is. Armin has done and still does a hell of a lot for all aspects of the Trance scene - and hes given JOOF and his progressive sound a great slot off the back of the biggest radio show brand there is. Not sure why there is all this anti-Armin feeling on this forum. Just because he releases pop sounding records aswell. If you look deeper,youll realise just how many indie trance record labels he has supported over the years on ASOT.

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    Altair (03-09-2019), enlusion (03-09-2019), pmvibes (03-10-2019)

  23. #30
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,484
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    500
    Thanked 1,015x in 693 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen JOOF View Post
    I’m not going to waste anymore time on negative people like you, as you are the root problem.
    Whilst John and Armin (+ many others working dam hard like Solarstone, John Askew, Aly & Fila etc) are investing back into this wonderful Trance genre and making good ground building things, there will always be people like you, criticising from the sidelines.


    Either get involved helping, or try to stop being a keyboard warrior. Accept there will always be different flavours to the Trance genre.
    Dont even bother replying to this guy...hes just fishing for drama.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2015, 14:38 PM
  3. John 00 Fleming - JOOF Editions vol. 2 [JOOF]
    By Rok in forum (Upcoming) Trance Releases
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 21:06 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 18:50 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 15:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •