Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depression (clinical that is, not the bad-mood variant)

Last Online
    Today @ 14:25 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner_ View Post
    So, last week finally i had the courage and went to psychiatrist. He told me i don't have mental illness and prescribe me some light medications (Atarax to improve my sleep and Deanxit for anxiety). I have been taking them for 10 days but i don't see significant improvement - neither better nor worse. When i am worried about the future and have bout of anxiety it's seems like Deanxit suppress the symptoms but maybe it's placebo. At the end he referred me to psychotherapist or psychologist for my anxiety and self-esteem issues.
    Glad you did, and I hope it helps. It will help even more (and sooner) if you believe it will. Placebo can still cure, and I've read that placebo can have an effect on depression and sleeping disorders.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (08-02-2019)

Last Online
    Today @ 15:56 PM
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 424x in 275 Posts
    Hong Kong
    Just my two cents on depression as a medical student going through my psychiatry rotation.

There are many causes of depression, ideally your doctor would have ruled out any 'secondary' causes of depression. Secondary meaning that the depression is a result of other medical diseases (not relating to the mind itself). For example, thyroid problems. In such cases solving the underlying medical condition would cause the depression to disappear.

More often than not in a young physically healthy individual, depression has its origins arising from the mind, in other words a 'primary' cause where the problem is with the mind itself. There are numerous psychiatric diseases where one may experience depression, but most commonly this is due to mood problems. The current view of depression is that both genes and the environment play an important role in producing the disease. Some people may have genes that predispose them to depression (i.e. it tends to run in families), but almost always there are identifiable external stressors that bring about the depression (e.g. difficult relationships with others, loss of loved ones).

Of course, personality matters too. Anxious people, those who find uncertainty very uncomfortable, those who tend to think negatively - are more prone to depression because of the way they think and cope with stress. In essence, depression is a multifactorial problem.

I think it's useful to think of depression as one end of the spectrum in terms of mood, rather than a distinct category in itself. There is an arbitrary threshold between normality and depression. Everyone's threshold is different based on everyone's genetic makeup, and external environmental influences shift the level of your mood one way or another. By depression, we are essentially saying your mood is low enough to cross the threshold for a significant period of time that warrants intervention.

If anyone has further questions on this matter, feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer. Of course you should always ask and let your doctor have the final say.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Gagi (08-06-2019), jetflag (08-12-2019)

Last Online
    Today @ 17:10 PM
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 84 Posts
    Netherlands
    So, last week finally i had the courage and went to psychiatrist. He told me i don't have mental illness and prescribe me some light medications (Atarax to improve my sleep and Deanxit for anxiety). I have been taking them for 10 days but i don't see significant improvement - neither better nor worse. When i am worried about the future and have bout of anxiety it's seems like Deanxit suppress the symptoms but maybe it's placebo. At the end he referred me to psychotherapist or psychologist for my anxiety and self-esteem issues.
    10 days is a short time to notice any real effects in my experience it took a good 2 months for me to sort of notice the effect 1500mg daily St Johns worth had on my day to day functioning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jetflag For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (08-12-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 84 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by PeenutsDx View Post
    Just my two cents on depression...

thanks very much for this, really insightfull

Last Online
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Jordan Peterson (a famous clinical psychologist) on Instagram:

The depression question is a very difficult one to answer. It requires careful diagnostic interviewing. I would first ask what you have tried to treat your depression. I would never say that merely "biting the bullet" is sufficient, although maintaining what life structure you can despite your pain and immobility is generally for the best.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 84 Posts
    Netherlands
    How are you doing so far m8, i'm sort of level for 2 months now. Its still there but more bareable/ less notice worthy..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetflag For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (11-08-2019), Gagi (11-08-2019)

Last Online
    01-14-2020 @ 10:33 AM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,376 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by jetflag View Post
    I'll try:

The physical sensations are akin to just being told that your (grand) parent(s) have died and you're being told another one has, every 10 minutes . This continiues throughout the day.

- There's a constant pain between my chest and stomach. The pain itself does not have a very describable caracter. so its not as simple as Jabbin, Throbbing, burning or stinging pain. Its best described as "hollow" pain. a very constant and present pain-energy field directly below my rib-cage.

- There's A slight burning sensation like the afterfeeling of just having gushed ice cold water on your skin, is present at the back of my head, slightly above where my neck ends and distributes itself roughly around 1/3e of my skull.

-My amygdala is in full overdrive and triggers a wave of cortisol with every random thought or encounter. I can almost physically feel it gushing through my brain. Periods of light panic and elevated heartrate have a constant shift-change with periods of high fatigue and not wanting to do anything, not even breathe, since it takes efford.

- my mood can best be described as painfully sad occasinally and fatigued most of the time but does have (fortunate) interludes with a sort of apathetic I-don't-care moods. In those moments my memory and reasoning capabilities still seem function normally but are most of the time unsuccesfull in overriding the feeling part. So I can remember and reason why I say, should be happy or gratefull at (x) moment, and act accordingly, but I don't experience the feeling of gratitude or happiness.

I try to not let it affect previous daily life-routine as in, I manage to get out of bed (even though this takes severe efford) and eat and eventually go to work and/or do somehting that day. But i'm really not feeling it if you know what i mean. My relationship with my wife is still intact but under strain (its not nice to have a partner who's constantly tired, weak and not in the mood for anything) so I try to fake that as best as I can.

My diet @Hensmon, is (afaik) healty and varied, no processed foods/junk and mostly home cooking so. biological meat/eggs, no lactose, home-made bread, lots of nuts, vegetables and fruits, liver etc. I stopped drinking alcohol half a year ago, try to sport or at least move 4 times a week or more.

i didn't do a hormone profile, but my bloodtest came up as being perfectly fine.

Current Pallatives are 1200/1500 gram of saint johns worth daily, temazepan for sleep in case of midnight panic attacks and oxezapan in case of severe amydala overdrive/very deep depression waves.
    Sorry to hear that. The stomach/chest 'pain' could be anxiety. I suffer from social anxiety myself.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 84 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    Sorry to hear that. The stomach/chest 'pain' could be anxiety. I suffer from social anxiety myself.
    My shrink though so initially aswell but its actually not. The feeling of axiety has a different tone. In my freetime I like to windsurf (especially when the conditions are rough) and kickbox and I always get anxious before going on the water or prepairing for a match, even if its just friendly sparring. The tone and location are off.. Its more akin to the kind of pain you feel when you've just learned someone close to you died.

Last Online
    01-14-2020 @ 10:33 AM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,827x in 1,376 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by jetflag View Post
    My shrink though so initially aswell but its actually not. The feeling of axiety has a different tone. In my freetime I like to windsurf (especially when the conditions are rough) and kickbox and I always get anxious before going on the water or prepairing for a match, even if its just friendly sparring. The tone and location are off.. Its more akin to the kind of pain you feel when you've just learned someone close to you died.
    Oh i see.
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 160x in 125 Posts
    Bulgaria
    Still visiting my shrink once a month. I can't afford more visits. It's pretty expensive here (25euro/hour). Went 4 times and i don't see any progress IMO. Still apathetic towards life, lost, lack of drive and motivation, refuse to expose myself out there. We're trying to treat underlying issues but without success. If i don't see any results after next 2-3 visits i'll consider to change the shrink.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Still visiting my shrink once a month. I can't afford more visits. It's pretty expensive here (25euro/hour). Went 4 times and i don't see any progress IMO. Still apathetic towards life, lost, lack of drive and motivation, refuse to expose myself out there. We're trying to treat underlying issues but without success. If i don't see any results after next 2-3 visits i'll consider to change the shrink.
    Damn, I don't know the living standards in Bulgaria, but I imagine they are pretty similar to those here. 25 Euros/hour is quite a lot. Unqualified workers get less than that (read: half or more) for 8-12 hours of work.

Anyway, how does the rest of your month look? How were the sessions? Feel free to include or omit as much information as you feel comfortable with.

Last Online
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 160x in 125 Posts
    Bulgaria
    I suppose living standards are similar to Serbia. Minimal wage here is 280 euro before taxes.

I'm unemployed currently (kind of feel lost what i want to do actually). At age of 31 is expected to have life figured out but i'm still clueless. That's the main issue that we want to tackle with my shrink. It makes me anxious and often causes feeling of shame and guilt, insane self-esteem issues. Spend most of the days browsing the net mindlessly.I have a friend that i go out with basically every day to play table tennis in the biggest park in Sofia. He has similar issues like me and that makes this friendship kind of toxic i think. We seek solace in the failings of the other IMO. Last month went to hike Vitosha mountain near Sofia (felt wonderful, no brain fog like most days). Definitely something i need to do more. Playing tennis once a week with another friend. My mother is repairing her father's house. She want to move there and i'm helping a little bit. She is really supportive. Maybe too much, i couldn't ask for more. I really want to read books but can't force myself to do it.

And about the sessions - It's kind of liberating to share all your problems with someone but i expected more insight from her. To tell me something that i don't know and to make me to act. Something like that - https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Xo7UDlxtV/

Last Online
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Don't have experience with therapy, though a friend told me that going to one is really, really uncomfortable. Like, you're getting your problems out, getting them dissected and being basically forced to defend yourself, while at the same time being confronted with your faulty logic. He also said it's pretty uncomfortable to listen to what the therapist has to say. Weird, did not imagine it that way but that would surely work for me!

As for this video of Snowden, it's always interesting to listen to different points of view about anything life-related, but after a while of that, for me it all just becomes white noise. A 100 different ways to think about your problems are nothing without solutions. Something to think about is almost worthless if it isn't followed by an action. Maybe I'm just too satiated by these insightful inspiration/motivation quotes. They don't bring anything more than thoughts. And I think you need to act, more than to think. You yourself said you felt better after that hike. Push yourself, physically. To me, it's really empowering.

Anxiety is something else entirely, but I did have a bad episode of crippling guilt and shame over my past failings. It still kind of goes on. The only way to make it disappear is to live a life that makes up for them. Hard, I know, but it is what it is. Or you can mindlessly browse the web, of which I am and have been certainly guilty of. But to tell you the truth, nothing makes me feel better than when I'm busy all day, being literally unable to find the time to browse the web or waste my time in any other way. But when I'm left alone, I'm too prone to that myself, and I can definitely recognize myself in some of what you wrote. Some guilt and shame is healthy, though, but only if you use it as fuel to get better.

As far as your future goes, tackle problems 1 by 1 I suppose? What kind of job could you do? What are your professional qualifications (rewrite your CV completely)? What kind of work would make you happy? What are you good at? There are people who could help you with that, where you take all sorts of personality and intelligence tests and they let you know what could suit you. When you figured that out, you think about what you'd need to do to get a job like that, what are the steps... Tackling a big problem such as feeling lost can be frightening. Maybe dissecting them into parts, tasks etc would make it much easier, since you only have to take one small step at a time. Maybe ignoring the feelings or underlying issues (or going around them) could make your current problems a bit clearer (and, as a result, make your solutions to them a bit more practical).

I felt lost myself when I started college. I didn't like anything that much; I was interested in many things, but not in one thing in particular. What I was studying seemed strange and hard to me. I wanted to quit, I really didn't know what to do with my life. I spent 1 year actively dissociating myself from college. Few years into the future, I found something I like about it (solving problems), I went to an internship and found my "purpose" (between quotes because it's not a purpose, but it helped at the time a lot). That "purpose" was work, financial freedom, independence from parents, ambition, my future, responsibility. Just sharing my story, maybe it can help you out.

To end this long post, I've found that responsibility is the one thing that has made my life a lot better. It wasn't there for a large part of my life, and finding it was almost liberating. It's still a struggle from time to time, it's not always perfect, but I still try to do things that I don't want to do, but do them anyways. I find strange satisfaction in that I've done something regardless of how I felt about it beforehand.

Oh, and if you need some reading material, reach out and I'll try to recommend something.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (11-09-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 109x in 84 Posts
    Netherlands
    For those interrested in additional paleatives that aren't prescribed psycho therapeautic drugs.

I've been tackling panic attacks and sleeplessness, who have a knock-on effect the day or week after on top of the depression, with valerian herbs 400gram each day.

so basically catnip.

seems to work. a bit.