Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depression (clinical that is, not the bad-mood variant)

Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,372x in 1,753 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner_ View Post
    So, last week finally i had the courage and went to psychiatrist. He told me i don't have mental illness and prescribe me some light medications (Atarax to improve my sleep and Deanxit for anxiety). I have been taking them for 10 days but i don't see significant improvement - neither better nor worse. When i am worried about the future and have bout of anxiety it's seems like Deanxit suppress the symptoms but maybe it's placebo. At the end he referred me to psychotherapist or psychologist for my anxiety and self-esteem issues.
    Glad you did, and I hope it helps. It will help even more (and sooner) if you believe it will. Placebo can still cure, and I've read that placebo can have an effect on depression and sleeping disorders.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (08-02-2019)

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 414x in 270 Posts
    Hong Kong
    Just my two cents on depression as a medical student going through my psychiatry rotation.

There are many causes of depression, ideally your doctor would have ruled out any 'secondary' causes of depression. Secondary meaning that the depression is a result of other medical diseases (not relating to the mind itself). For example, thyroid problems. In such cases solving the underlying medical condition would cause the depression to disappear.

More often than not in a young physically healthy individual, depression has its origins arising from the mind, in other words a 'primary' cause where the problem is with the mind itself. There are numerous psychiatric diseases where one may experience depression, but most commonly this is due to mood problems. The current view of depression is that both genes and the environment play an important role in producing the disease. Some people may have genes that predispose them to depression (i.e. it tends to run in families), but almost always there are identifiable external stressors that bring about the depression (e.g. difficult relationships with others, loss of loved ones).

Of course, personality matters too. Anxious people, those who find uncertainty very uncomfortable, those who tend to think negatively - are more prone to depression because of the way they think and cope with stress. In essence, depression is a multifactorial problem.

I think it's useful to think of depression as one end of the spectrum in terms of mood, rather than a distinct category in itself. There is an arbitrary threshold between normality and depression. Everyone's threshold is different based on everyone's genetic makeup, and external environmental influences shift the level of your mood one way or another. By depression, we are essentially saying your mood is low enough to cross the threshold for a significant period of time that warrants intervention.

If anyone has further questions on this matter, feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer. Of course you should always ask and let your doctor have the final say.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Gagi (08-06-2019), jetflag (08-12-2019)

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 95x in 71 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner_ View Post
    So, last week finally i had the courage and went to psychiatrist. He told me i don't have mental illness and prescribe me some light medications (Atarax to improve my sleep and Deanxit for anxiety). I have been taking them for 10 days but i don't see significant improvement - neither better nor worse. When i am worried about the future and have bout of anxiety it's seems like Deanxit suppress the symptoms but maybe it's placebo. At the end he referred me to psychotherapist or psychologist for my anxiety and self-esteem issues.
    10 days is a short time to notice any real effects in my experience it took a good 2 months for me to sort of notice the effect 1500mg daily St Johns worth had on my day to day functioning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jetflag For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (08-12-2019)

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 95x in 71 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by PeenutsDx View Post
    Just my two cents on depression...

thanks very much for this, really insightfull

Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,372x in 1,753 Posts
    Serbia
    Jordan Peterson (a famous clinical psychologist) on Instagram:

The depression question is a very difficult one to answer. It requires careful diagnostic interviewing. I would first ask what you have tried to treat your depression. I would never say that merely "biting the bullet" is sufficient, although maintaining what life structure you can despite your pain and immobility is generally for the best.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]