Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79

Thread: How can trance be improved?

  1. #31
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:48 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,556
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,650
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Or maybe there is a sickness in the air.
    Oh crap, you've summoned him.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  2. #32
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,869
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 1,149x in 798 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Or maybe there is a sickness in the air.
    Dont start that rubbish lol.

  3. #33
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 14:14 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    729
    Thanked 1,696x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Surprisingly civil discussion here. What I would like:
    1) more experimenting, less using same formulas, instruments and buildups over and over again. Gone have the days you could hear a track and immediately guess what producer made it. Producers used to have their own styles and there were many of them. Now there are many 4-5 "accepted" types and nothing more.
    2) some sort of filtering system, which would only introduce me tracks worth listening. I get new trance music 2 ways nowadays: a) spotify discovery and release playlists. They are surprisingly decent, but usually out of 30 or so tracks, i add 1-2 max to my playlist as rest is not worth anything. b) browsing through this forum, which also has similar ratio, out of entire page of releases, i may find 1-2 tracks that are worth saving. I guess this is problem with any style, but I am 100% sure, I am missing alot of gems because they are just hidden and filled under garbage released every day.
    3) less big-room and festival type of music, more home-listening tracks. With 40 closing in quickly, I hardly ever go to clubs or festivals anymore, but i still love my trance. So it has become increasingly difficult for me to find tracks i can listen to at home or at work. Bangers just dont suit, so I have started listening alot more house lately.
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to tep For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (08-26-2019)

  5. #34
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:48 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,556
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,650
    Thanked 2,440x in 1,809 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Surprisingly civil discussion here. What I would like:
    1) more experimenting, less using same formulas, instruments and buildups over and over again. Gone have the days you could hear a track and immediately guess what producer made it. Producers used to have their own styles and there were many of them. Now there are many 4-5 "accepted" types and nothing more.
    2) some sort of filtering system, which would only introduce me tracks worth listening. I get new trance music 2 ways nowadays: a) spotify discovery and release playlists. They are surprisingly decent, but usually out of 30 or so tracks, i add 1-2 max to my playlist as rest is not worth anything. b) browsing through this forum, which also has similar ratio, out of entire page of releases, i may find 1-2 tracks that are worth saving. I guess this is problem with any style, but I am 100% sure, I am missing alot of gems because they are just hidden and filled under garbage released every day.
    3) less big-room and festival type of music, more home-listening tracks. With 40 closing in quickly, I hardly ever go to clubs or festivals anymore, but i still love my trance. So it has become increasingly difficult for me to find tracks i can listen to at home or at work. Bangers just dont suit, so I have started listening alot more house lately.
    Agreed on all points.

    However, regarding point 3, I think we're actually seeing a bit of a resurgence of progressive (albeit modern) trance and softer uplifters. That's not festival music at all.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  6. #35
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 14:14 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    729
    Thanked 1,696x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    Agreed on all points.

    However, regarding point 3, I think we're actually seeing a bit of a resurgence of progressive (albeit modern) trance and softer uplifters. That's not festival music at all.
    Yes, I do agree, I have recently found alot of great releases from Pure Progressive for example, Statement! label, also Anjunadeep, which exactly fit into that. I really enjoy more light, melodic stuff. I am not that much into very deep, technoish stuff.
    This is a great example of what i need more of:
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  7. #36
    Hensmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:54 AM
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Posts
    5,718
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,449
    Thanked 2,288x in 1,584 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Gone have the days you could hear a track and immediately guess what producer made it.
    I'm not so sure. In todays scene I could pick out Breakfast, Activa, Magnus, Thomas Datt, Temple one, Thrillseekers and Naden just by listening. Maybe also Allende, Atkinson and Fleming too. I'm sure there are some other ones I'm missing too...

  8. #37
    Daysleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 21:52 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    6,306
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    1,064
    Thanked 2,283x in 1,587 Posts
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    I'm not so sure. In todays scene I could pick out Breakfast, Activa, Magnus, Thomas Datt, Temple one, Thrillseekers and Naden just by listening. Maybe also Allende, Atkinson and Fleming too. I'm sure there are some other ones I'm missing too...
    Just that these guys are still from the sort of good ol days. its not "current" really.
    Last edited by Daysleeper; 08-27-2019 at 23:15 PM.
    #Sicknessesintheair

    Say no to STEROIDS.






  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (09-01-2019)

  10. #38
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 14:14 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    729
    Thanked 1,696x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    I'm not so sure. In todays scene I could pick out Breakfast, Activa, Magnus, Thomas Datt, Temple one, Thrillseekers and Naden just by listening. Maybe also Allende, Atkinson and Fleming too. I'm sure there are some other ones I'm missing too...
    Sure, i guess i expressed myself wrong. My main point was that in 00s, electronic dance music had so many different styles (also within genres), yet producers still managed to keep their identity in the tracks. If ATB released a track, you understood its ATB.
    Now, without checking whos track is this, would you guess, its ATB?

    Same with Armin for example

    Martin Garrix came to scene with Animals, which was different. Now he produces this:

    CJ Stone

    Da Hool


    This list can go on. For me, all those "modern" tracks sound like they are produced by the same producer, yet behind them are producers who used to be top of their game in 00s. THis change is so puzzling.
    BUt yea, i guess its issue with EDM overall, not only trance.
    On top of it, when did you really here last time a track that was somewhat unique or sounded different in the genre. I agree, Naden sounds different, but he came out with his releases 7 years ago. Breakfast has been around way longer, not the mention the other guys.
    If someone comes into trance, nowadays they take some template, work a bit with melodies and thats it. There is no creativity and trying to surprise the scene. It was not like that.
    Which brings me to last point. I think what the genre is really missing is lack of talent, because talented music producers are attracted to other genres. I remember an interview with Beat Service, who switched to Madison Mars alias, who said that he got tired of playing in some small events and being on C_stage in big festivals. In 90s and 00s, trance was popular and most creative producers wanted to create for this genre.
    Its not normal, that still in 2019 the best and most popular trance tracks are created by producers who are now in the 40s and have been in the genre for decades. Where are the new superproducers, who come to the genre, create something different? Where are Armins, Ferrys, Pauls of 2019?
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  11. #39
    Hensmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:54 AM
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Posts
    5,718
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,449
    Thanked 2,288x in 1,584 Posts
    United Kingdom
    @tep, where are the Armins, Ferrys and PVD equivalents in any genre today? House, DnB, Rock Music, Hip-hop, Reggae...? There are none. I don't see it as a problem specific to Trance music at all. Greats and idols are gone from music, not 100% sure why that is.

    The names you listed as examples are all from producers who have chosen to follow the hyper-commercial path, where giving up their individuality to follow trends/dumb-down is part of the job description and is done intentionally, so not sure they can be used to support the idea that the modern Trance scene has less identity.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

    Fredjan (09-01-2019)

  13. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Gender
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 375x in 202 Posts
    Estonia
    Having your "own sound" is way overrated imo. It usually means that you keep doing the same thing over and over again, using the same samples and presets. Back in the day producers didn't have as many options as today. A lot of times you had a synth that just did one or two sounds really well, so you recalled that preset(s) for every project. Most of your hardware fx were set on a "perfect preset" and the parameters were hardly ever changed you just drove every track through the same settings. Producers used templates that had all the sounds pre-loaded, and especially if a track became a hit the follow up was going to be identical but with a different melody. I wouldn't give too much credit for the 90's producers as technically most were still doing the same thing and similar arrangements, people just used different equipment.

    sandstorm



    vs


    feel the beat



    9pm



    vs


    don't stop



    on the move



    vs.


    infected



    and so on..

  14. #41
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 14:14 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    729
    Thanked 1,696x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    Having your "own sound" is way overrated imo. It usually means that you keep doing the same thing over and over again, using the same samples and presets. Back in the day producers didn't have as many options as today. A lot of times you had a synth that just did one or two sounds really well, so you recalled that preset(s) for every project. Most of your hardware fx were set on a "perfect preset" and the parameters were hardly ever changed you just drove every track through the same settings. Producers used templates that had all the sounds pre-loaded, and especially if a track became a hit the follow up was going to be identical but with a different melody. I wouldn't give too much credit for the 90's producers as technically most were still doing the same thing and similar arrangements, people just used different equipment.

    sandstorm
    [videyoutube;y6120QOlsfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU]movie[/URL]


    vs


    feel the beat
    [videyoutube;aLZQ-0dHbiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLZQ-0dHbiU]movie[/URL]


    9pm
    [videyoutube;5A9OIIapSko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A9OIIapSko]movie[/URL]


    vs


    don't stop
    [videyoutube;DgvePeDIt3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvePeDIt3Y]movie[/URL]


    on the move
    [videyoutube;BkhVK8bjLz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhVK8bjLz4]movie[/URL]


    vs.


    infected
    [videyoutube;jhOn9vpr2TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOn9vpr2TU]movie[/URL]


    and so on..
    I never said u have to use your sound forever. Just that having a unique sound means having something unique out there that others do not do. My problem is not that producers are not sticking to what made them famous, my problem is that noone ever really comes up with something different anymore. I guess it is also possible that genre is already so old, that you cannot really be innovative, but my guess is that it has something to do with the genre being not popular, so talented people just do not bother investing into it.
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to tep For This Useful Post:

    point (08-29-2019)

  16. #42
    tep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    01-18-2020 @ 14:14 PM
    Location
    Tallinn
    Gender
    Posts
    3,985
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    729
    Thanked 1,696x in 1,024 Posts
    Estonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post
    @tep, where are the Armins, Ferrys and PVD equivalents in any genre today? House, DnB, Rock Music, Hip-hop, Reggae...? There are none. I don't see it as a problem specific to Trance music at all. Greats and idols are gone from music, not 100% sure why that is.

    The names you listed as examples are all from producers who have chosen to follow the hyper-commercial path, where giving up their individuality to follow trends/dumb-down is part of the job description and is done intentionally, so not sure they can be used to support the idea that the modern Trance scene has less identity.
    Yea, I said it as well that this is not only trance genre issue. There has not really been anything new since the "tropical house" thing got popular and thats already what, 5 years? Go to beatport trance top 100 list, which i guess is suppose to show whats really popular, there are basically 4 types of tracks. Massive amount of "uplifting songs". Sound identical. Then you can number of "remakes" of old songs, most of them remade to sound exactly as uninspiring as those "uplifting songs". Then you have some really heavy bangers and then some anjunabeats sounding stuff. Thats about it.
    2016 TOP 5 (updated in July)
    1. Aymon - Sopor
    2. Avenue One feat. Fenja - Call of Summer (Suncatcher Remix)
    3. M.I.K.E. Push - Estivate
    4. The Noble Six - Oddworld
    5. Aurosonic - They Wait For Us (Progressive Remix)

  17. #43
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,869
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 1,149x in 798 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    Having your "own sound" is way overrated imo. It usually means that you keep doing the same thing over and over again, using the same samples and presets. Back in the day producers didn't have as many options as today. A lot of times you had a synth that just did one or two sounds really well, so you recalled that preset(s) for every project. Most of your hardware fx were set on a "perfect preset" and the parameters were hardly ever changed you just drove every track through the same settings. Producers used templates that had all the sounds pre-loaded, and especially if a track became a hit the follow up was going to be identical but with a different melody. I wouldn't give too much credit for the 90's producers as technically most were still doing the same thing and similar arrangements, people just used different equipment.
    And that is why Ferry Corsten stands out in the history of Trance - hes changed his style so many times throughout the years - but you STILL know its him,even today. And he was one of the 1999 artists you are talking about,so it is possible.

  18. #44
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,869
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 1,149x in 798 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Surprisingly civil discussion here. What I would like:
    1) more experimenting, less using same formulas, instruments and buildups over and over again. Gone have the days you could hear a track and immediately guess what producer made it. Producers used to have their own styles and there were many of them. Now there are many 4-5 "accepted" types and nothing more.
    This was going to be my next point - imo every producer should start with a DAW with a totally blank screen and start from fresh,create your own percussion sound,FX sound,groove,atmosphere and most importantly synth sound - theres way too many templates available now,aswell as all the ghost producer and mentoring businesses nowadays.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    tep (08-29-2019)

  20. #45
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,869
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    560
    Thanked 1,149x in 798 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by point View Post
    Having your "own sound" is way overrated imo. It usually means that you keep doing the same thing over and over again, using the same samples and presets. Back in the day producers didn't have as many options as today. A lot of times you had a synth that just did one or two sounds really well, so you recalled that preset(s) for every project. Most of your hardware fx were set on a "perfect preset" and the parameters were hardly ever changed you just drove every track through the same settings.
    I dont agree - lets take three producers who did this exact thing in 99 - Lange,Dumonde & Matt Darey....most of their tracks and remixes are some of the most loved ever in the scene,because of the totally unique sound they had,even though they copied it throughout their discography - i mean,no one has ever sounded similar to them,so they pulled it off imo.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 19:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2017, 21:31 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 13:25 PM
  4. Trance Top 1000 The Best Trance Classics Ever ~ A State Of Trance
    By MusicSoundsBetterWithYou in forum Classic releases
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 03:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •