Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Armin van Buuren is Mr. Perfect - Documentary

  1. #16

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 19:35 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 51x in 40 Posts
    Mexico
    Pretty interesting to see the behind-the-scenes stuff in here! Great narration by Armin :P I would have loved it even more if it was up-to-date.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyZero For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (09-07-2019)

  3. #17
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    All episodes are up and now in the OP.

    It was definitely interesting to see what's going on behind the scenes. The man is just ambitious AF, he's always trying to better himself.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  4. #18
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 1,106x in 768 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    All episodes are up and now in the OP.

    It was definitely interesting to see what's going on behind the scenes. The man is just ambitious AF, he's always trying to better himself.
    He has unbelievable drive to be the best - only a few people have it in their field - Christiano Ronaldo is another in football.

  5. #19
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    He has unbelievable drive to be the best - only a few people have it in their field - Christiano Ronaldo is another in football.
    Exactly. People often neglect that fact when they bash him. It's just his personality traits that can't really be changed at all. Managers etc. are an another thing, but he wants it too. His next festival is always bigger and more successful than the last one. And it's not like he earns much more - they cost more as well, because he pays for them (ASOT & AO). That said, he's a smart businessman and a very charismatic individual.

    One other thing I noticed, is how many memorable tracks he has in his discography. I don't think anyone can better him at that, even though other producers arguably had music of better quality.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

    DannyZero (09-08-2019)

  7. #20
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 1,106x in 768 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post

    One other thing I noticed, is how many memorable tracks he has in his discography. I don't think anyone can better him at that, even though other producers arguably had music of better quality.
    Ferry & MIKE have more memorable Trance tracks imo - unless youre talking about all the Armin pop stuff.

  8. #21
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    Ferry & MIKE have more memorable Trance tracks imo
    Yeah but not as much IMO.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  9. #22
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 1,106x in 768 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    Yeah but not as much IMO.
    If youre talking instrumental Trance originals - Ferry & MIKE have made many more memorable tracks imo.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Magdelayna For This Useful Post:

    Arnoud (09-09-2019)

  11. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 113x in 77 Posts
    Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Contact View Post
    So there you go: banned.
    I am actually really happy I lived till this day lol.


    Speaking of Armin's 'memorable tracks' of the classic era I think I would only call Communication if we're talking of what was the key element in the early days trance tunes - shiny main lead riff and the whole melodic composition that flows. Even Blue Fear which comes second in my list.. I think its melody is a bit awkward at times, same goes for Sail.. so to me, Armin never was a genius musician (i'd say midly talented) and he quickly realized that by making vocal stuff his main priority, without even mentioning all the further Benno's help.. Ferry and MIKE have times more epic timeless records that's for sure. You can easily see the difference in the amount of their classics which are getting new bootlegs these days. With Armin it's only Communication really.

  12. #24
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    I agree he isn't as good a musician as some. Airwave, MIKE are all excellent artists - I have listened to a big chunk of their discography, same as with Armin.

    But, I think I remember more of Armin's tracks than from any other artist. And it came to me with Club Embrace. A single riff, a loop or just a sound Armin used in one of his tracks, I immediately recognized. I'm not counting the vocals here, though his vocal tracks were on just an another level. It's probably because it is a lot more accessible than, say, Airwave's works (which are just musically light years ahead).

    Now, it could be because I was a massive fan of his early on in my trance-listening history. But still, I've been an even bigger fan of MIKE and Airwave ever since, and despite that I still think Armin's music is a lot more memorable. I'm not talking about quality or just one or two big classics. I'm talking about a large portion of his discography.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  13. #25
    Magdelayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Age
    37
    Gender
    Posts
    2,754
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked 1,106x in 768 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    I agree he isn't as good a musician as some. Airwave, MIKE are all excellent artists - I have listened to a big chunk of their discography, same as with Armin.

    But, I think I remember more of Armin's tracks than from any other artist. And it came to me with Club Embrace. A single riff, a loop or just a sound Armin used in one of his tracks, I immediately recognized. I'm not counting the vocals here, though his vocal tracks were on just an another level. It's probably because it is a lot more accessible than, say, Airwave's works (which are just musically light years ahead).

    Now, it could be because I was a massive fan of his early on in my trance-listening history. But still, I've been an even bigger fan of MIKE and Airwave ever since, and despite that I still think Armin's music is a lot more memorable. I'm not talking about quality or just one or two big classics. I'm talking about a large portion of his discography.
    I think its more to do with the time you were introduced to Trance - mid 2000's i take it? Armin had a much bigger influence then with his artist albums,whereas guys like Ferry & MIKE went quite quiet in the producing front. In fact both went more towards EDM in the 2010's. But the meat of the classics were made in 1998 to around 2004.

  14. #26
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    I think its more to do with the time you were introduced to Trance - mid 2000's i take it? Armin had a much bigger influence then with his artist albums,whereas guys like Ferry & MIKE went quite quiet in the producing front. In fact both went more towards EDM in the 2010's. But the meat of the classics were made in 1998 to around 2004.
    The end of 2011, actually. But still, I've listened to trance from its start of existence till now, and Armin's, MIKE's and Airwave's discographies regardless of the year.

    Could be that it was just the initial discovery phase (or my taste), and I still liked (most of) his music up to, say 2014 - from then on it was more of a hit-and-miss for me.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  15. #27

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 113x in 77 Posts
    Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    The end of 2011, actually. But still, I've listened to trance from its start of existence till now, and Armin's, MIKE's and Airwave's discographies regardless of the year.

    Could be that it was just the initial discovery phase (or my taste), and I still liked (most of) his music up to, say 2014 - from then on it was more of a hit-and-miss for me.
    I've started listening to trance in 2007 (without going back and discovering what was the early years trance music until 2010), it was like the time when things started to shift drastically from the last bits of oldschool sound to something that later become what we know as modern trance and it was hard for me to take that change, and so 2008-released Armin's album Imagine sounded hella pop considering to what was still around imo, i was quite a hater of it and mainly of the way it has influenced the scene. with every new album things just were going more and more pop, just this year's GAIA album is a nicely surprising one-off but i guess Balance will continue what waa started with Imagine

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to RandomUserName For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (09-11-2019)

  17. #28
    Gagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:58 PM
    Location
    Novi Sad
    Gender
    Posts
    5,421
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    2,557
    Thanked 2,394x in 1,770 Posts
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomUserName View Post
    I've started listening to trance in 2007 (without going back and discovering what was the early years trance music until 2010), it was like the time when things started to shift drastically from the last bits of oldschool sound to something that later become what we know as modern trance and it was hard for me to take that change, and so 2008-released Armin's album Imagine sounded hella pop considering to what was still around imo, i was quite a hater of it and mainly of the way it has influenced the scene. with every new album things just were going more and more pop, just this year's GAIA album is a nicely surprising one-off but i guess Balance will continue what waa started with Imagine
    Going by the tracklist, I don't have such high hopes anymore. I sometimes like his pop songs, but Ne-Yo? Really?!

    I still liked Imagine and Mirage though, and maybe bits of Intense as well although it wasn't as memorable as the previous albums.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

    Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

  18. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    11-17-2019 @ 04:29 AM
    Gender
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 113x in 77 Posts
    Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    Going by the tracklist, I don't have such high hopes anymore. I sometimes like his pop songs, but Ne-Yo? Really?!
    Didn't know the tracklist's revealed already, just going by the track titles.. Sucker For Love, Unlove You, Waking Up With You, Don't Give Up On Me, Don't Let Me Go, Show Me Love, High On Your Love, Lonely For You.. that's too much even for a pop album I suppose but it will be promoted as 'trance' somewhy..

    I am only curious about the track with HALIENE, and that one new instrumental tune Million Voices, the rest is either already released or completely hopeless even judging by the collaborators and track titles.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to RandomUserName For This Useful Post:

    Gagi (09-11-2019)

  20. #30
    Voci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 00:19 AM
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Posts
    4,572
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    440
    Thanked 1,568x in 951 Posts
    Netherlands
    The weird thing is, there is also a vinyl album release. That contains several other tracks (no vocal guests). Most pop songs arent on it.

    Oh I guess Im wrong. I see now there’s 2 cd’s.

    Not bad then, 13,99 for a 2-cd album.
    Last edited by Voci; 09-11-2019 at 23:35 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2017, 17:56 PM
  2. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 06-25-2016, 18:39 PM
  3. Article: Documentary: A Year With Armin van Buuren
    By Wesley in forum Frontpage Articles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 15:48 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 16:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •