Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 trance tracks of all time - 2019 edition

Last Online
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 827x in 573 Posts
    Mexico

Top 10 trance tracks of all time - 2019 edition

Trance has had "top X tracks of all time" lists since forever, most notably Darktremor's (now archived) Top 400 trance tracks of all time on Listology from 2004 [1] and Armada Music's The Best of Trance Top 1000 poll from 2010 [2]. Musical preferences are highly subjective, and each person (or group of people) making a top X tracks of all time will focus on different things. Darktremor emphasized mid-to-late 2000s neo-trance while shunning classics such as Out of the Blue, whereas the Armada poll reflects the popular tracks of its era (Tuvan, songs from Armin's albums).

Trancefix has also seen this kind of lists pop up in the past, specially during the time of the Armada top 1000 poll [3]
    and one year later when a single poster wanted to share his own list [4].

I had wanted to do a top X list for a while, but almost as soon as I started I realized how difficult this truly is to do. Gagi's comment on the Planisphere - O thread in the classics section [5] describes the challenge pretty well:

Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    It's very hard to narrow ~30 years of trance down to 10 tracks - and we all know that there were many amazing tracks - so I don't know about it being a top 10 of all time. It does have quality though, and it is just something else.

But I agree that it is a showcase for what trance can accomplish.
    Where to start? What to focus on?

As Gagi mentioned, tracks like O are unique, high quality, and a showcase of what can be accomplished with Trance. This helped me select ten tracks that, in my opinion, truly reflect uniqueness and quality, and that deserve to be listened once more by those who frequent this forum. All of them blend creativity, production quality, ambiance, drive, and melody. Some of them are insanely famous commercial hits from the heyday of Trance. Others are early-to-mid '90s tracks that helped shape the genre itself. One is from 2000, but is unlike anything else I have ever heard within the genre.

So much for words. Without further ado, here's the list. No supersaws. No psytrance rolling basslines.

1. L.S.G. - Netherworld [1996, Superstition]
    To put it simply, Oliver Lieb is a genius. That was clear in his earlier work as Paragliders and Spicelab and even with Hearts from his L.S.G. moniker, but Netherworld captures all of the above qualities and is the best trance track I've heard in my ~8 years of listening to trance. Its progression is dynamic and brilliant. Its beat and bassline are driving. Its melody is subtle. The vocal sample fits and enhances the track. The overall ambiance and metallic sounds give Netherworld the sci-fi/cyberpunk feeling characteristic of very high-quality classic trance. Its production is superb, and every element feels well-balanced.
    The only flaw is that its most common form is the vinyl cut, which doesn't do the track any justice. For the best experience, listen to the full 11-min version.

2. Union Jack - Two Full Moons and a Trout (Caspar Pound Mix) [1994, Rising High Records]
    Caspar Pound's remix of this essential Platipus Record is one long build-up, but the payoff is immense. As a listener you're first introduced to several minutes of what appears to be a very relaxing, ambient-like record. Then, the main melody kicks in and builds up to the first storming set of beats during the middle of the track. Those end almost abruptly, and you get treated to 2-3 minutes of basically a classical music track played with a haunting synth before reaching the finale, which is the most intense minute in any trance track ever.

3. Energy 52 - Cafe del Mar (Three 'n' One Mix) [1997, Addictive Records / Bonzai Trance Progressive]
    Originally by Kid Paul and Cosmic Baby, and based on a classical music piece, Cafe Del Mar ascended to electronic music legend with the Three 'n' One remix. The first several minutes are subtle, and at the beginning it seems like any mild-energy, somewhat progressive trance track from its era. Once its melody kicks in, it becomes clear why Cafe del Mar had such a huge impact on the electronic music scene.
    Cafe del Mar was voted #1 by Mixmag in 2001. Ten years later it was also the #1 in a poll from the BBC Radio 1 for the top dance tracks from the previous 20 years. In 2015, the live version of the Three 'n' One mix was the highlight of the Radio 1 Ibiza prom; at the end of this track, Pete Tong proudly announced "take that, Mozart!"

4. Binary Finary - 1998 (Original) [1997, Aquarius]
    There are many versions of this track released under many names ("1999", "2000," "DJ Tiesto - Trance Energy" non-sense). Even with those quirks, I would say the original is the best anthem trance track.

5. Cosmic Baby - The Space Track [MFS, 1992]
    One of those tracks that started it all. Released essentially at the conception of the genre, The Space Track captures the spirit of Trance finely. Heck, even the song is true to its name: The Space Track genuinely feels like you're relaxing in space. Don't get too relaxed, though, because you might want to dance during the second part.

6. Humate - Love Stimulation (Paul van Dyk Love Club Mix) [MFS, 1993]
    Love Stimulation was Darktremor's top trance track of all time. To be frank, it is PvD's best work: the piano and ambiance of this track are gorgeous.

7. Zyon - No Fate (No Fate Mix '93) [Eye Q, 1993]
    We've reached our first Eye Q record. The original version of No Fate is arguably one of the few successful blends between Trance and hip hop, but the '93 No Fate Mix is pure trance in the beautiful yet austere Eye Q style.

8. Astral Projection - Dancing Galaxy [1997, Trust in Trance]
    Goa and psytrance had already achieved some success before Dancing Galaxy. What makes this track unique is that it combines elements from the more melodic Trance with the trippy, intricate patterns from goa trance to create something that elevates above almost everything in both genres.

9. Hallucinogen - LSD [1994, Dragonfly Records]
    Originally a b-side, LSD rose to prominence with Oakenfold's legendary essential mix from 1994 and became one of the best goa/psytrance tracks ever.

10. Infected Mushroom - The Shen [2000, YoYo Records]
    This one is strange. It's the only track on this list not from the 90s. It also starts with a twisted version of a common bedtime lullaby.
    It is not only the best work from Infected Mushroom, but also the best psytrance track in general.

That is all. I'd like to hear what you think. Maybe the intro was a bit long and I didn't need any of that background, but I hope that helps the curious learn about other times people have done top X trance lists of all time. Maybe the descriptions are too long with too much superfluous information or too short and need more work.
    Feel free to share your top 10 list as well!

Some background about myself:
    I put together the Outstanding Trance Tracks of the Modern Era (2010 and beyond) thread on this forum back in 2014 [6], and to this date it is one of the most viewed threads. I've been listening to trance since 2011, introduced by Cygnus X's the Orange Theme and later by Darktremor's top 400 trance list.

Links:

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20160409130205/http://listology.com/list/top-400-trance-tracks-all-time

[2] https://www.armadamusic.com/news/the...rance-top-1000

[3] https://www.trancefix.nl/showthread....armada+conduct

[4] https://www.trancefix.nl/showthread....ks-of-all-time

[5] https://www.trancefix.nl/showthread....ht=planisphere

[6] https://www.trancefix.nl/showthread....10-and-beyond)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fredjan For This Useful Post:

BladeRunner_ (10-20-2019), Gagi (10-20-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 22:44 PM
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,383x in 1,762 Posts
    Serbia
    Took some great effort, this. I sort of disagree on some, and some I haven't listened to yet. I agree about Netherworld - where can I find that long version? I like the Vinyl Cut myself, it's short, sweet and energetic.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Today @ 00:06 AM
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565x in 948 Posts
    Netherlands
    I find LSG really overrated. I know its holy for lots, but I personally dont care for them much.

Im a fan of the bigger trance sounds (‘99 / 2004 era), while still respecting the older (pre-98) ‘real’ sound.

With that in mind, I think Age of Love - Age of Love (Watch out for Stella mix) should be in a top list. Monumental track.

If its a list for 30 years of trance, the big anthems cant be denied. Out of the Blue, Airwave, Beauty of Silence, Suburban Train, Superstring. Maybe Push.
    Curious about Vociís dj-sets? Mixcloud.com/jml-mixes/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

Spider-Vice (10-24-2019)

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 15:46 PM
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,235x in 1,554 Posts
    Sweden
    Good work on the post, but the list is just boring haha, but I dont blame you. These are all iconic tracks (havnt heard the IM track that I recall) I dont mean that any of the tracks are bad, it just feels VERY MUCH like a textbook top list of classics you need to hear,and not very personal at all.

So my question is: Is this more of a serious attempt to put together 10 tracks that really showcases the best of trance maybe? Rather then a more personal list? I know I have tried to make lists sometimes that concluded lots of personal fav based just on my current mood and sometimes I have tried to put together tracks that maybe arent my personal faves but I recognise the importance and greatness of them.
    #Sicknessesintheair

Say no to STEROIDS.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daysleeper For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (10-20-2019), Gagi (10-20-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 13:50 PM
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102x in 764 Posts
    United Kingdom
    I agree with Energy 52,that would be in my top 10 - Love Stimulation is just outside it. For Binary Finary it would have to be the PvD mix which is in my top 10,and im also one who doesnt rate Oliver Lieb very highly - none of his tracks would get in my top 100 - but he is one i have in mind to go back and lsten to all his stuff again. I think a lot passed me by.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 23:30 PM
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 102x in 82 Posts
    Netherlands

For me, this track is the epitome of trance.

I think making all-time lists only serve two purposes:
    - Introduce novices to trance
    - Divide the experts.

I have my own.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    Took some great effort, this. I sort of disagree on some, and some I haven't listened to yet. I agree about Netherworld - where can I find that long version? I like the Vinyl Cut myself, it's short, sweet and energetic.
    Not sure if this link will work in European countries, but here we go:

Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    I find LSG really overrated. I know its holy for lots, but I personally dont care for them much.

Im a fan of the bigger trance sounds (‘99 / 2004 era), while still respecting the older (pre-98) ‘real’ sound.

With that in mind, I think Age of Love - Age of Love (Watch out for Stella mix) should be in a top list. Monumental track.

If its a list for 30 years of trance, the big anthems cant be denied. Out of the Blue, Airwave, Beauty of Silence, Suburban Train, Superstring. Maybe Push.
    Yeah, I would imagine that Lieb is hit or miss. When I first started listening to trance I didn't like Netherworld much (always preferred the updated Oliver Prime Remix), but recently I started liking the original version. I agree in that some of his work like Subraumstimulation is overrated, but as a whole Lieb himself is underrated specially when compared to the tracks (and artists) you mentioned.

I never got into Age of Love (Watch out for Stella Mix). Although I appreciate it being one of the first times the two-step sound was used in a trance sense, I've always found the loud acid sound annoying and out of place. Most of the track is very quiet, and then that loud acid comes in and wrecks the ambiance of the track. It's as if the track was not mastered well. For that reason I much prefer the breakbeats version released alongside the Stella mix, which is just the Watch Out for Stella Radio Edit.

One of the first iterations of this list had Suburban Train in spot #4 and Push - Strange World (2000 Remake) around spots #8-10. To be honest, I could replace whatever is in their spots with them and the list would still reflect my original goal.
    I was never much of an Out of the Blue / Rank 1 - Airwave person. That's partly because of Darktremor (who greatly downplayed those tracks) and because I never enjoyed them much.
    For Superstring I would consider the original Cygnus X mix.
    Oddly enough I hadn't heard the Beauty of Silence before, but it really isn't my type. Twisted would be a better choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Good work on the post, but the list is just boring haha, but I dont blame you. These are all iconic tracks (havnt heard the IM track that I recall) I dont mean that any of the tracks are bad, it just feels VERY MUCH like a textbook top list of classics you need to hear,and not very personal at all.

So my question is: Is this more of a serious attempt to put together 10 tracks that really showcases the best of trance maybe? Rather then a more personal list? I know I have tried to make lists sometimes that concluded lots of personal fav based just on my current mood and sometimes I have tried to put together tracks that maybe arent my personal faves but I recognise the importance and greatness of them.
    Looking at the descriptions, I would say #1-3 are fixed in place for me, and they would remain there in any top X trance list regardless of my mood. 4 through 10 were harder to put together, and I'd say all of those could be replaced with other tracks while maintaining the spirit of the list. You are right in that this isn't a very personal list at all.
    For a moment I thought about populating the latter part of the list with Eye Q tracks, but there's something about that sound that makes me hesitate putting them in a top 10 list. They're brilliant tracks, yet as I mentioned in No Fate they can feel too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdelayna View Post
    I agree with Energy 52,that would be in my top 10 - Love Stimulation is just outside it. For Binary Finary it would have to be the PvD mix which is in my top 10,and im also one who doesnt rate Oliver Lieb very highly - none of his tracks would get in my top 100 - but he is one i have in mind to go back and lsten to all his stuff again. I think a lot passed me by.
    I think the uniqueness of the original mix is what is appealing about 1998 to me. The PvD, Dumonde remixes are much like the original mixes of those artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre92 View Post
    Sensation - The Anthem 2003

- Divide the experts.

I have my own.
    Interesting choice. Never had a phase when this was my favorite track. I'm not sure how polarizing this one would be for people who have been listening to trance for a while, but that's interesting to point out.
    Last edited by Fredjan; 10-21-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Last Online
    11-10-2019 @ 13:58 PM
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,256x in 2,115 Posts
    Denmark
    I don't know if Netherworld would be my #1, but it's definitely a monster track - Love everything second of it and most likely always will.

Last Online
    Today @ 00:06 AM
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565x in 948 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre92 View Post
    [videyoutube;mbg0gO2fSIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbg0gO2fSIU]movie[/URL]

- Divide the experts.

I have my own.
    Its deffo in my top 100.

A more odd pick in my top list would be Bart Claessen - Playmo. Unique production.

Never heard The Beauty of Silence? It was a game changer. A silent breakdown with a big synth interupting it, was invented right there.
    Curious about Vociís dj-sets? Mixcloud.com/jml-mixes/

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    A more odd pick in my top list would be Bart Claessen - Playmo. Unique production.
    This one for me

Never heard The Beauty of Silence? It was a game changer. A silent breakdown with a big synth interupting it, was invented right there.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I missed it. It sounds like it was pretty important back then, but it wasn't referenced much in the lists I looked at and I never stumbled upon it randomly.

Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 16:13 PM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 69x in 23 Posts
    Singapore
    Hi, i have not listened to many of the "classics" myself. But I feel that Top 10 lists are often dominated by anthem tracks and would like to see more quiet, ambient tracks in there. Personally I would nominate Airwave - Ladyblue (Original beat) because it is of of the best, if not the best progressive tracks I have heard. Every part of the track is perfect - from the euphoric opening, the introduction of the baseline, the subtle introduction and development of the main melody, and finally to the second part of the song where all the elements comes together like a meeting of old friends. After the song ends, I feel as though I have been taken on a journey through life even though it has only been 10 minutes. This is what I think trance truly is about. Cheers

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drathnor For This Useful Post:

Gagi (10-21-2019), Hensmon (10-30-2019)

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 22:39 PM
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 201x in 162 Posts
    Netherlands

Personally, I would definitely put some L.S.G. tracks on my top list because of his Into Deep album which is a great mixed album (although to be fair I discovered that album only last year). A top 10 would be hard considering my taste in music and trance has changed a lot so I'll see if I can come up with a top 10.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leon92 For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (10-21-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by drathnor View Post
    Hi, i have not listened to many of the "classics" myself. But I feel that Top 10 lists are often dominated by anthem tracks and would like to see more quiet, ambient tracks in there. Personally I would nominate Airwave - Ladyblue (Original beat) because it is of of the best, if not the best progressive tracks I have heard. Every part of the track is perfect - from the euphoric opening, the introduction of the baseline, the subtle introduction and development of the main melody, and finally to the second part of the song where all the elements comes together like a meeting of old friends. After the song ends, I feel as though I have been taken on a journey through life even though it has only been 10 minutes. This is what I think trance truly is about. Cheers
    While I won't ever argue against Ladyblue being a top trance track, it's a bit more polarizing. I myself love it to bits, it's my favourite trance track. But I could understand if some don't. It's very personal, whereas this list seems like it isn't.

About Lieb - I rate him very highly. Although I haven't listened to much of his discography, he was very unique in his own way. Love his dirty techno/trance tracks with beautiful sounds and melodies which contrast the dirtiness and distortion. Blueprint 1 & 2, Jillanity, Into Deep (Clubmix X/UK Mix) under LSG, or some of his more straight techno-trance bangers such as Pollenflug & Quantensprung under SOL...

LSG - Fontana (Processed Mix) is also pretty unique IMO.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by drathnor View Post
    Hi, i have not listened to many of the "classics" myself. But I feel that Top 10 lists are often dominated by anthem tracks and would like to see more quiet, ambient tracks in there.
    That's why I have Two Full Moons and a Trout, The Space Track, and (arguably) Love Stimulation. They are not anthems at all.

It's very personal, whereas this list seems like it isn't.
    That's the second time this has been mentioned. Why so?

Last Online
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    That's the second time this has been mentioned. Why so?
    Well, because you said it yourself. Didn't conclude that on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    You are right in that this isn't a very personal list at all.
    Now that I think of it, the way you wrote about each track makes it a bit evident that this isn't (very) personal. It's not bad or anything, after all it's "Top 10...", not "My Top 10..." or "Favourite 10..."; after all it was me who said that making such a list is very hard.

Just taking into consideration that trance has had a lot of different phases makes my brain explode; the sound has changed so drastically, even within the sub-genres. You certainly have more sub-genres than spots here, and when you count in the times they all have changed, and also artists with unique sounds (and even they changed over their careers)...you will have to omit a lot of styles.

Don't take this as criticism, these are just my inner ramblings about how making such a list is complex. If OT, tell me and I will (to the overall relief for everyone else) stop.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (10-22-2019)