Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Thread: Cygnus X - Positron (Magnevi Remix)

Last Online
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604x in 976 Posts
    Netherlands

Cygnus X - Positron (Magnevi Remix)

And another Trance Energy Theme remixed.

The underrated 2003 classic Positron. With an energetic 138 remix. Let me know what you think!

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 15:53 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447x in 1,814 Posts
    Serbia
    Nice remix!

It's from 1993 though, released together with Superstring (first Cygnus X release in fact!). Positron (the edition with the Armin & Marco V remixes) was also their last, in 2002/03.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Yeah of course. The real original is way older. But for me the 2002 mix (used as trance energy Theme in 2003) is the ‘original’. The old one is not bad though.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:37 PM
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 114x in 87 Posts
    Netherlands
    Liking this m8, Nice take on it. The kickdrum has a bit of an oldschool mark norman vibe to it.

which is a good thing by the way.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:35 PM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,833x in 1,381 Posts
    Norway
    Great to see you still produce. Positron is noe of my favorite track. I'll have a listen. Btw, didnt you call yourself magnetic vision?
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

Last Online
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    I havent produced since I moved from my parents house in 2012. It took a while, student-room etc, but now I have a nice house with a place to make music again.

I thought a new start with a slightly new sound could use a new name. The idea is to make more uptempo music. And a bit more aggresive compare to the 128-132 music I made back then. Magnevi is still a short version of the name though

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

Halon (11-19-2019), jetflag (11-19-2019)

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:37 PM
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 114x in 87 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    I havent produced since I moved from my parents house in 2012. It took a while, student-room etc, but now I have a nice house with a place to make music again.

I thought a new start with a slightly new sound could use a new name. The idea is to make more uptempo music. And a bit more aggresive compare to the 128-132 music I made back then. Magnevi is still a short version of the name though

do you mind if I link some of your tracks/ remixes to a label owner buddy of mine? he's always on the scout for new talent.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by jetflag View Post
    do you mind if I link some of your tracks/ remixes to a label owner buddy of mine? he's always on the scout for new talent.
    Obviously I do not mind!

The Bermuda one can benefit slightly from small mixing corrections, and maybe your 'acid-sound' tip. I haven't done that yet, but the track on Soundcloud is pretty much as good as it gets anyway.

As for the Cygnus X remix. I'm not completely satisfied with the first minute. It's a bit weak. And I'm thinking of making a shorter 1-breakdown version. I think that would have more chance of getting actual 'support' than this one.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 17:35 PM
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,833x in 1,381 Posts
    Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post

Great. I might just upload something too
    Old Skool Trance FTW!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Halon For This Useful Post:

Gagi (11-19-2019)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    New version in the opening post.

I finally made the final version today. Quite a lot changed actually.

The whole arrangement is different. The track now has only 1 one breakdown. The breakdown itself changed a bit, it has a calmer part at the beginning (the low Positron-chords before the Positron-melody comes in). Gives it some more atmosphere I think.

The bass and beats are new as well.

@Daysleeper Curious what you think mate.
    Last edited by Voci; 01-11-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Last Online
    Today @ 00:19 AM
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284x in 1,587 Posts
    Sweden
    Okey, lets take a proper listen to this.

The buildup lack something to me. It jumps in almost too fast but at the same time it doesnt have enough interest to make you wanna carry on listening, but I did, ofc. I like the small details you put into it and small techy twists here and there but somehow this feels alot more demo-ish and a bit of filler to me than your other original production. Also tbh, I have never been too much of a big fan of positron for some reason.

I'd say needs work.

Edit: The little xylophone fill melody in the outro might have worked better woven in to the build. I did like that part though.

Edit: I think its the actual repetitiv nature of the original, which uses a memorable hook but the actual rhythm of that melody is really monontone, coupled with your techy/banging spin on it that doesnt make me appreciate it fully.
    Last edited by Daysleeper; 01-11-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    #Sicknessesintheair

Say no to STEROIDS.

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 15:53 PM
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447x in 1,814 Posts
    Serbia
    I like the intro! From the start, it carries a lot of energy. Of course, it could be improved just as about anything, but it's pretty good. I like the drums a lot.

Me, personally, I would've had a different and more patient, evolving build-up (something akin to the one in Txitxarro's remix of In Silence by Randy Katana). I love that synth that starts just before the climax does and features in it for a few bars. You could play with it a bit more and for a while longer IMO. Adds some energy.

The climax starts off pretty nice, but the cymbals and the other elements that are added later make it lose energy. And those Positron samples get a bit repetitive, to be honest.

I don't know, it doesn't seem too far off from being and sounding complete. It feels like you need to take care of a few details, nothing more. But to me, this, as is, doesn't sound like a complete and finished track. Also, I have to say I pretty much agree with the above post.

Anyways, continue working on this, as you've got some great ideas here. It just needs some improvement.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

Last Online
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Netherlands
    Thanks for your constructive feedback guys ! Worked on it as soon as I read your thoughts.

Good point on the intro. It was indeed a bit empty. I changed the stabs now in the intro part (they evolve now from just being note A into chord A+C+E). Maybe that gives the intro the bit of excitement it needs. This is how they were in the early version. I tried other things as well, like adding the main synth earlier (the ummet ozcan-ish one), or a whole new melody, but nothing really worked for me.

Which synth do you mean Gagi? The one coming in on 3:40? The ride and clap added at 3:52 indeed lower the energy. But my intention was to lower it there, to give the actual climax at 3:59 extra energy. I played around with different options, but decided to have it like this in the end.

The 'xylophone' melody you mentioned daysleeper is also in the intro, and the breakbeat part, and later in the climax as well. It just was hardly noticable. So now I boosted it's volume a little bit. It's still very much in the background, but it shouldnt be in the front of the mix I think.

For some reason this track is hard to balance right. It's definitely a bit repetitive. But that's Positron. I personally do love that little higher synth melody from the original Positron.