Hello guest! It looks like you're not a member yet. Register for free and get full access!

Tags for this Thread

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEW FORUM + Other ideas moving forward

Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 441x in 283 Posts
    Hong Kong
    For me there are only a handful of sections that should remain:

General Announcements
    Trance Releases
    Classics
    Music Discussion
    General Discussion

If migration is a possibility, then i would happy if all threads in trance releases with 4 or fewer replies are to be deleted, which as of now would remove 70% of all threads in that section. Which is still more than enough content for old and new fans to revisit and savour.

If a new forum is to stand the test of time, it will have to focus on the quality rather than quantity of content. If anything, the most frustrating thing about social media is the sheer amount of posts that are frankly vacuous promotional material. Genuine insightful content is few and far between, and we will have to emphasise that instead in order to attract new people to the forum. This is a good opportunity to clean house and get the forum back on track.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Gagi (05-24-2020), Hensmon (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 957x in 684 Posts
    Mexico
    ^ A lot of people use Trancefix for the radio shows and live sets.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    Didn't know that. But speaking for myself I've never really clicked in there or felt the need to. I think most people use 1001tracklists for live sets these days? Myself included. Social media and SoundCloud are also quite well equipped for these sort of things. Not sure how much value that adds to the forum as a whole.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,719x in 1,038 Posts
    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    I think we need a good discussion about this.

Personally i think the members who use that contribute nothing. They just want their silly link to be clicked. If you check the forum posts of those people, they do nothing here, only post external links.

I think downloading radio shows is something of the past anyway. Its all on YouTube, twitch, etc. You can easily watch it back.

our forum isnt used for tracklists. They never post a tracklist, Although they should based on our rule there.
    The section is a big mess.

edit: plus, I think the ‘scene’ will respect our site more if we dont allow any sort of downloading.
    Last edited by Voci; 05-24-2020 at 14:51 PM.
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020), Gagi (05-24-2020), Hensmon (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,352x in 1,628 Posts
    United Kingdom
    Guys as you can see the closing down notification has been removed from Wesley, which is great news. We now have longer to transition into a new platform and have some support from him in doing this. And thanks to all the funding we raised we can get cracking on this asap!

Migration is still a possibility (but not a guaranteed). I completely agree about removing sections and tidying up the forum for the new start. It's going to make things so much better and leaner.

My suggestions would be similar to Peenuts in regards to sections we keep/remove, but I would include User Production Section too. We have some great and upcoming producers in this community and it would be good to see if we can push this section further and in a meaningful way. I remember Trance.nu and the interaction producers had with the community and I think the Trance scene needs more of this again. Here's what id include.

- Forum Announcements
    - Upcoming Releases
    - Classic Releases
    - Music Discussion
    - Producers Section
    - General Discussion
    - Forum Suggestions & Support

I also like the idea of deleting dead threads, but I would set the theshhold as 1 post and below. Also not sure if this is even possible with how we migrate.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hensmon For This Useful Post:

DannyZero (05-26-2020), Fredjan (05-24-2020), Gagi (05-24-2020), PeenutsDx (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,635x in 1,949 Posts
    Serbia
    I agree with all of you. We could do well to decrease the number of threads created, especially regarding upcoming releases.

But - and hear me out on this - who would actually post new stuff here? We'd have to discover new stuff on our own, outside TranceFix, and then post them here as we see fit. And all of that with our jobs, lives... That defeats the purpose of TF, at least for me. I discover most of the stuff here. And also, how do we choose what's acceptable for the section, and what isn't?

Then again, the upcoming releases section really is cluttered with lots of releases that don't have replies. In my opinion, you just can't do much there, except maybe have a cleanup once a year or so.

Regarding live sets and radio shows, as far as I'm concerned we don't need that. Maybe if we forbid users from creating new threads for every radio show episode, it would be better than keeping it the way it is, if we already need those sections. The same can be done for festivals, or artists in the live sets section. Still, if there's a way to remove them I'm all for it.
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past [THREAD | BEATPORT]
    Gagi & MaickelJ - Prisoner Of Past (Remixes) [THREAD | BEATPORT]

Gagi - Classic Tech Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]
    Gagi - Short House & Trance Mix [MIXCLOUD]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensmon View Post

My suggestions would be similar to Peenuts in regards to sections we keep/remove, but I would include User Production Section too. We have some great and upcoming producers in this community and it would be good to see if we can push this section further and in a meaningful way. I remember Trance.nu and the interaction producers had with the community and I think the Trance scene needs more of this again. Here's what id include.

- Forum Announcements
    - Upcoming Releases
    - Classic Releases
    - Music Discussion
    - Producers Section
    - General Discussion
    - Forum Suggestions & Support

I also like the idea of deleting dead threads, but I would set the theshhold as 1 post and below. Also not sure if this is even possible with how we migrate.
    I would certainly welcome the inclusion of a Producers section. Although i would be more inclined to have a technical discussion section (more educational) rather than one where we dump all our promos / WIPs in it (more promotional w/ lots of clutter - there is always social media for that). Rather, we could have a discord group if one wants to share their own music (can get more personal feedback)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020), Gagi (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagi View Post
    I agree with all of you. We could do well to decrease the number of threads created, especially regarding upcoming releases.

But - and hear me out on this - who would actually post new stuff here? We'd have to discover new stuff on our own, outside TranceFix, and then post them here as we see fit. And all of that with our jobs, lives... That defeats the purpose of TF, at least for me. I discover most of the stuff here. And also, how do we choose what's acceptable for the section, and what isn't?

Then again, the upcoming releases section really is cluttered with lots of releases that don't have replies. In my opinion, you just can't do much there, except maybe have a cleanup once a year or so.

Regarding live sets and radio shows, as far as I'm concerned we don't need that. Maybe if we forbid users from creating new threads for every radio show episode, it would be better than keeping it the way it is, if we already need those sections. The same can be done for festivals, or artists in the live sets section. Still, if there's a way to remove them I'm all for it.
    Not so much reducing the number of threads created, but rather removing those with one or fewer replies after a certain time period (e.g. every year). After all, it isn't right if we limit what can be posted and what not.

We can be more radical with all the threads that we have to migrate. The threshold for removal is of course up for debate. But generally the fewer the threads kept, the easier it is for people to search for what they're looking for. And for older tracks that cannot be found, there is always the classics section for that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PeenutsDx For This Useful Post:

Gagi (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia

Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,719x in 1,038 Posts
    Netherlands
    Well for me it was always very clear:

On Trancefix there are like 2 people who post EVERYTHING. In one day a full forum page is filled up.

but only with the one purpose of “posting it”. Just a soundcloud set saying: “at 45:32”. Thats extremely boring. For me this is the reason I hardly browse through that section. Im sure I missed great tracks because of it.

ive always hoped it would be more like trance.nu. Any member would post sometimes a track that they really wanted to share. People would write something about why, about the track, etc. An in invitation to check it out, and talk about it.

that way, only meaningful, stand-out, or otherwise important tracks were posted.

i wouldn’t mind limiting users to create max 5 threads per week. Then you have to think about what you post.
    Don't forget about our Fundraiser for a new community website!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voci For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020), Gagi (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 663x in 486 Posts
    Portugal
    Despite all of that, it's still a good idea to have a feed of recently released tracks because it helps get some attention to them, instead of severely limiting people's posting ability. There could be harsher rules implemented for "new releases" topics but I'm not sure limiting posting altogether with a threshold is the solution.

I understand how it looks spammy to just have a soundcloud embed with a timestamp but sometimes there isn't much else we can do. Could we perhaps even have label specific rules? So we don't have a million posts from every single release from a little generic sledgehammer Trance label or something.

Just brainstorming here ofc.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spider-Vice For This Useful Post:

Gagi (05-24-2020), Sleepy Robot (06-01-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Voci View Post
    Well for me it was always very clear:

On Trancefix there are like 2 people who post EVERYTHING. In one day a full forum page is filled up.

but only with the one purpose of “posting it”. Just a soundcloud set saying: “at 45:32”. Thats extremely boring. For me this is the reason I hardly browse through that section. Im sure I missed great tracks because of it.

ive always hoped it would be more like trance.nu. Any member would post sometimes a track that they really wanted to share. People would write something about why, about the track, etc. An in invitation to check it out, and talk about it.

that way, only meaningful, stand-out, or otherwise important tracks were posted.

i wouldn’t mind limiting users to create max 5 threads per week. Then you have to think about what you post.
    The thing is, I think these people might be paid to do so. Same for the front page. Why do it otherwise?

That's why I think limiting won't really work regarding the "quality" part. And what could keep them from making 10 new accounts so that they can post every release they were going to?

The way I discover tracks is mostly by seeing an artist/label name, or when there's discussion in a thread. Now that trance.nu approach is great, but that just means we have to look for music outside of the forum, which only defeats the purpose of the forum. Yeah we should discuss music, but will we? There's a number of threads with 0 replies in the classics section as well.

I discovered TranceFix by looking for release dates on tracks, and after a period of lurking, I thought I should participate in the discussion and registered. Now that's just me, but I bet that's how we get most of our views - because you can't find that info in one place anywhere on the internet.

Hard to make any choice which won't negatively affect something on this forum. That's why, for now, an occasional cleanup is the very least we could do.

Also, I think we have had a more detailed discussion about these very same issues we're talking about now.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Fredjan (05-24-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Yeah the Upcoming Releases section has always been a tough one to solve. It's about striking a balance between the two user-desires; wanting an up-to-date, reliable and extensive catalogue of new releases and wanting a place to discover and discuss good music. Both are important...we currently do the former very well, but Voci is correct about the thread dumping and 0 replies... it really kills discussion and makes discovery more tiresome.

I am usually not a fan on restrictions and post limits to solve a problem like this, for various reasons. What we could do is engage with those posters who post huge amounts of threads and see if they are willing to put a personal kind of quality control on what they choose to share. We still have a big amount of releases but maybe reduce the number by 30% and things would be better.

Another option is to organise and create sub-sections within upcoming releases for the sub-genres i.e uplifting/tech, psy, progressive. You could even do it by BPM range (to avoid genre debate). This would allow for quicker searching through the sections, it would keep posts longer on page 1 which would improve discussion, and if i'm not interested in banging/uplifting I can ignore this part completely.

An alternative to this idea is to utilise some kind of plug-in for Xeno forum, which would let us introduce a much better search, filter and tagging system. That way I can come onto the upcoming release section and view only posts tagged with Psy, Uplifting and Tech. Posts could be tagged with multiple genre tags to avoid pigeonholing a track to one particular style.
    Last edited by Hensmon; 05-29-2020 at 13:22 PM.

Last Online
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    Serbia
    @Hensmon the problem with genres is multi-genre releases/albums. Just think of any release with remixes on it. Where do you put that? BPM too. Tagging works, if it's utilized properly and easy to access.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gagi For This Useful Post:

Hensmon (05-29-2020)

Last Online
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    United Kingdom
    Yep excellent point, I did not think of that. I'd says it's rarer that we get releases with vastly different styles and BPM in one thread, but it will happen for sure enough to stop us create subsections easily.

A well executed and easy tagging system I think could be a good idea. I'm meeting with Xeno nerd again today and I will see if he has a suggestion for such a plug-in/search functionality. This combined with some friendly engagement with the high-thread posters and this section could be improved a lot.